Don't you hate...

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

mightyfelix wrote: February 16th, 2018, 6:42 pm I said, BACK AWAY FROM THE PIRATE PLAY!"
It is not a play, it is a normal group project. Hope, this helps ;)
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

The solution to a naughty cat is to work him/her into a Librivox podcast.

Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

It's not a "pirate play", it's the latest workshop in our group therapy.
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
J_N

Post by J_N »

when you are all energetic, jump out of bed, do the chores, switch on the dishwasher, sit down to record and you realise you switched on the dishwasher... that is basically in the same room as your computer... and because it's eco-friendly, it takes hours to finish. Well done, you. :roll:
Julia - Introverts, unite! Seperately... in your own homes.

Spend your free time the way you like, not the way you think you're supposed to. ― Susan Cain

Author death +70 yrs? Legamus!
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

... when you ate something last night, something probably tasty and well prepared, yet only today, when you sit down to record, and everything else is quiet around, your guts decide to start a lively and loud debate (or so it seems) on the last night's meal details... And it all ends up on the track! :?
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

.... when you're right in the middle of recording a super interesting section, after being unable to record all week, and suddenly it starts pouring down rain outside.

Guess I'll finish this later.
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

... when it's quiet in the house and you think you can get maybe a few minutes done, as soon as you plug everything in and start Audacity, right in the middle of the intro, one of your kids starts to practice the sax, the other runs downstairs to play with the cat. <sigh>
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

When I record I throw everyone including our dog out of the house and switch on the electric fence around the garden. (It's only 200 Volts so pretty harmless ... :wink:
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

... when you're in a conversation, and you use a word in the sense that it had two or three hundred years ago, but it doesn't mean that anymore? And then everybody's staring at you, and you can see in their faces that they don't understand at all what you're getting at so then all you can do is just apologize and explain that you read a lot of old books?

Or is that just me?
Nedge

Post by Nedge »

When you wake up SUPER early, sneak downstairs, put the coffee on, and look forward to a couple of hours of recording, and the lawn service starts.

You wait, they go away, you get started again and the NEIGHBOR'S lawn service starts.

You get started again. By this time, the lovable older gentleman you live with comes down the stairs, goes to see what the Dodgers have done on the computer in his office, and sneezes seven times in a row.

So you quit, and make breakfast.
"Ready, willing, and vaguely competent." -- Sandra Boynton, 2021
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

When you are packing up to move and you finally hit a good stopping point for the day, and sit down to record a bit, and find that you have hit that critical point when there's enough stuff gone from your home office that there is now an echo and so there won't be any more recording at home til the move is finished and things are sufficiently unpacked there that there is no echo?

(Fortunately I dogsit regularly, and the room where I work on my laptop while dogsitting will do for recording, so I'll be able to squeeze at least some in over the next few weeks...)

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
Nedge

Post by Nedge »

...when you get your first real job in a year and a half, but it hasn't started yet. So you sit down in the middle of the afternoon, on a Monday, to record some old recipes and Scottish fairy tales and such like, and as soon as you start, the fancy smoke detector system decides it needs a battery, RIGHT THEN, and it will chirp piercingly every three minutes until it gets one.
linny

Post by linny »

I made myself giggle so I figured I should post.

Sometimes I see things here which make me roll my eyes and give thanks I'm not an MC and have to deal with it. I've never actively tried or not tried to become an MC but what I do know is our Admins do a wonderful job in keeping us grounded and on path. Most of the time we seem to do a pretty good job for ourselves. I'm sure there are times for them where it seems it's a bit like herding cats. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk7yqlTMvp8

Today I was scrolling through the threads checking on my projects, looking for something to PL, and just checking what's new. OK, I was actually procrastinating on a paper I need to write. Anyway, from time to time I'll see something and go "oh no, somebody is going to have to step in there and do something about that". Sometimes when that happens I'll head to the board index to see who is online. This all happened again today and all I could think was "goodness, I sure hope the MCs have a private "Don't you hate..." thread where they can vent.

Thank you to all of our MCs and all you do for us. I really do hope that when you need to that you have a place you can vent. :mrgreen:
linny

Post by linny »

Nedge wrote: October 8th, 2018, 11:50 am ...when you get your first real job in a year and a half,
Congratulations! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Nedge

Post by Nedge »

:9: Thank you! :) Best part is? I got a degree, finally, at the age of 59. This job actually REQUIRES said degree. I'm filling out the paperwork today.

Know what I hate today? Not a durned thing.

Nan