Don't you hate...

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

But we had Xmas last year ...
ej400

Post by ej400 »

...When there's like 50 cars and trains driving around while trying to record and so you get anxiety about if your recordings are going to sound OK. At least they did.... but normally I only hear 5 vehicles drive by. There was a garbage truck, 5 trains in 4 hours, loud pickup trucks, and punks with loud cars.... PLUS 3 schoolbuses!
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

ej400 wrote: March 11th, 2020, 9:53 pm ...When there's like 50 cars and trains driving around while trying to record and so you get anxiety about if your recordings are going to sound OK. At least they did.... but normally I only hear 5 vehicles drive by. There was a garbage truck, 5 trains in 4 hours, loud pickup trucks, and punks with loud cars.... PLUS 3 schoolbuses!
:shock: Only you could manage recording in that kind of noise :lol: I would've totally given up :lol:
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
ej400

Post by ej400 »

JayKitty76 wrote: March 12th, 2020, 3:44 pm
ej400 wrote: March 11th, 2020, 9:53 pm ...When there's like 50 cars and trains driving around while trying to record and so you get anxiety about if your recordings are going to sound OK. At least they did.... but normally I only hear 5 vehicles drive by. There was a garbage truck, 5 trains in 4 hours, loud pickup trucks, and punks with loud cars.... PLUS 3 schoolbuses!
:shock: Only you could manage recording in that kind of noise :lol: I would've totally given up :lol:
The only good thing about it was that most of the car noises my computer didn't pick up.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I never thought of Minnesota as being noisy. (Maybe that's North Dakota.)
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

This is my house during the day, almost all day. At night it's better, except for the occasional train. But now I have a daytime job that requires me to wake up in the morning, so recording at night isn't as easy for me as it used to be.
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

8:00 am Sunday morning.

Construction crew across the street off for the weekend.

Raining so no one is using lawn mowers and leaf blowers in the neighborhood.

Elderly wheezing dog asleep in another room.

No audible traffic from nearby airport and train tracks.

Housemates still asleep and planning lazy (quiet) morning in bed.

Perfect time to record.

KABOOM!!

Thunderstorm!!

Oh well, there is always prooflistening,

Colleen, getting back in bed herself.
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

When you've had that itch to record for days and days and haven't been able to grab a good chunk of time! :evil:

Sigh... Maybe when I get off work tonight.
maxgal

Post by maxgal »

...when you finally have a huge chunk of time to record, at the ideal time of day (or night), and there's no annoying background noise, and everything is set up perfectly...and your voice refuses to cooperate. It's not only not your "good voice," but it's the worst your "bad voice" has ever been.
Louise
"every little breeze..."

Fun Fact: 40% of all statistics are wrong.
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Ooh yes I hate that! I keep bullheadedly setting my alarm to get up early before housemates, yardworking neighbors, and most of the planes and trains are out and about, and keep forgetting that about 50% of the time my voice isn't ready to deal that early!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

...when you get really excited about a new project that you know people will be all excited about too, and you launch it... and 3 days later, no one has claimed anything in it. Image
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

ColleenMc wrote: May 24th, 2020, 4:21 am Ooh yes I hate that! I keep bullheadedly setting my alarm to get up early before housemates, yardworking neighbors, and most of the planes and trains are out and about, and keep forgetting that about 50% of the time my voice isn't ready to deal that early!
maxgal wrote: May 23rd, 2020, 10:40 am ...when you finally have a huge chunk of time to record, at the ideal time of day (or night), and there's no annoying background noise, and everything is set up perfectly...and your voice refuses to cooperate. It's not only not your "good voice," but it's the worst your "bad voice" has ever been.
Easy solution: Dramatic Works. helps with "doing the voices" :D

I once had the worst cold in years and couldn't record in my normal voice. I signed up for some minor male role and I think it sounded pretty good (for a woman). I listened to it much later, didn't sound like me at all.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Availle wrote: May 30th, 2020, 5:12 pm Easy solution: Dramatic Works. helps with "doing the voices" :D

I once had the worst cold in years and couldn't record in my normal voice. I signed up for some minor male role and I think it sounded pretty good (for a woman). I listened to it much later, didn't sound like me at all.
That's a good tip. I've done the same thing. It wasn't a cold, as I recall, but horrible allergies that didn't clear up for weeks. I claimed the role of a shady character who does nothing with his life except mooch off of people and sell them tobacco! :lol:
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

TriciaG wrote: May 30th, 2020, 4:32 pm ...when you get really excited about a new project that you know people will be all excited about too, and you launch it... and 3 days later, no one has claimed anything in it. Image
:cry:

If it makes you feel better (at least, if it is the one I think it is), I also got excited about it and almost impulsively claimed. But then I realized it would be irresponsible of me, since I have so much recording lined up already, and I won't be able to record anything for the next week or two. :(

And come to think of it, I hate that too! :evil:
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Aw, thanks! At least I know someone, someday will claim something in it. :lol:
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart