Don't you hate...

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Bookworm360

Post by Bookworm360 »

It depends on the project, but I’m open mightyfelix! :D
2 Timothy 1:7. Look it up.
Specializing in Middle-Earth🧝‍♀️, classics📖, and art🎨🖌
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Bookworm360 wrote: February 18th, 2021, 3:22 pm It depends on the project, but I’m open mightyfelix! :D
Thanks for the offer! Turns out all three of the original DPLs are still around and still interested, so that was an easy hurdle! But you're welcome to read some in any of them. They're all linked in my signature.
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

I thought about adopting the Grail one at some point but the presence of multiple quotes in other languages deterred me. Hopfully other folks will able to do them justice :)
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Piotrek81 wrote: February 20th, 2021, 12:11 am I thought about adopting the Grail one at some point but the presence of multiple quotes in other languages deterred me. Hopfully other folks will able to do them justice :)
I didn't notice that! :shock: Sheesh, what kind of a BC am I? :roll: I'll have to look it over more carefully and add notes about the languages to the MW. Thanks!
AngeliqueAnja

Post by AngeliqueAnja »

Realising that "Cat like tread" actually sounds like a herd of thundering elephants... (Or is that just my two delightful girls?)
DR: The Mystery of a Hansom Cab (Readers Wanted)
SOLO The Fairy Latchkey

I am without internet at the moment. Not sure for how long.
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

....when you select a rare case of a translated Polish short story and you start recording it to contribute to a Short Story Collection, but then you gradually become more and more annoyed with the translation and, as a result, you are not even sure if you're going to complete the recording. :roll: (it's a long one, so I've only got a half of it ready so far)
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

...when you find a lovely George Herbert poem for Lent on the Poetry Foundation page, and Bartleby has the same title so it must be public domain and eligible for the short poetry collection, and you start to read... and it turns out that Bartleby's version leaves out all the interesting stanzas in the middle
Back from a low-internet no-Librivox year in Georgia. Glad to be with you again.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Oh, man...

What's the Bartleby link? Maybe we can find an original of it.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

JoannaHoyt wrote: February 21st, 2021, 11:24 am ...when you find a lovely George Herbert poem for Lent on the Poetry Foundation page, and Bartleby has the same title so it must be public domain and eligible for the short poetry collection, and you start to read... and it turns out that Bartleby's version leaves out all the interesting stanzas in the middle
https://archive.org/details/poemsofgeorgeher031171mbp/page/n21/mode/2up?q=lent
linny

Post by linny »

Don't you hate when the weekend isn't long enough to catch up on all the stuff left over from the week? :roll:
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

Thank you very much! The full version of The Temper is there! :clap: :clap: :clap: I'll remember to check this site next time as well as Bartleby and Gutenberg. I really appreciate your taking time to find this for me.
Back from a low-internet no-Librivox year in Georgia. Glad to be with you again.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

JoannaHoyt wrote: February 21st, 2021, 3:35 pm
Thank you very much! The full version of The Temper is there! :clap: :clap: :clap: I'll remember to check this site next time as well as Bartleby and Gutenberg. I really appreciate your taking time to find this for me.
Haha! You're welcome. (And I like Herbert.)
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

...when one sentence in your reading of an English translation of a 1904 German non-fiction work has 1 semicolon within a quote inside a set of parentheses within a separate clause separated by an em-dash, one other quote, and one more separate clause separated by an em-dash, all peppered with ten commas within 14 lines that ends with a question mark and should really be read in one exasperated breath?
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

realisticspeakers wrote: March 1st, 2021, 12:38 am ...when one sentence in your reading of an English translation of a 1904 German non-fiction work has 1 semicolon within a quote inside a set of parentheses within a separate clause separated by an em-dash, one other quote, and one more separate clause separated by an em-dash, all peppered with ten commas within 14 lines that ends with a question mark and should really be read in one exasperated breath?
The problem, with, that many commas, and other, pause-paraphernalia, is that one ends up, sounding like, William Shatner, playing, Captain Kirk.

Cheers,
Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
schrm

Post by schrm »

realisticspeakers wrote: March 1st, 2021, 12:38 am ...when one sentence in your reading of an English translation of a 1904 German non-fiction work has 1 semicolon within a quote inside a set of parentheses within a separate clause separated by an em-dash, one other quote, and one more separate clause separated by an em-dash, all peppered with ten commas within 14 lines that ends with a question mark and should really be read in one exasperated breath?
just don't.
for the sake of understanding, set dots and sentence endings, wherever you can und divide the whole stuff with breaths and breaks.
make this an art.
try to need an hour for 14 lines.
make this even more complidcted and set dots, wherever it esnures, to be not suiting.
compare the 3 versions you have read.
take some parts from each recordings and make a collage numer 4.
make a 5th recording.
:lol:
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275