Don't you hate...

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

...when your microphone melts? (This is Celcius, folks).

Sydney area - Friday 20 November

Summary Min 20 Max 41

Very hot. Late gusty change.Possible rainfall: 0 mmChance of any rain: 10%

Very hot and sunny. Light winds becoming northwesterly 25 to 40 km/h in the late morning. A cool southerly change 30 to 40 km/h in the evening, squally and reaching up to 55 km/h along the coast.

Fire Danger - Very High

UV Alert from 8:40 am to 4:50 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 12 [Extreme]

I may have to record Henry Lawson's poem "The Southerly Buster": http://www.poetrylibrary.edu.au/poets/lawson-henry/the-southerly-buster-0698006
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Oh my gosh--that's scary hot and windy. I know you have dangerous fires in your area. We live with fire also in the San Fernando Valley and are in our 4th year of drought.
Pam
"Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm."

Robert Louis Stevenson
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

SonOfTheExiles wrote:...when your microphone melts? (This is Celcius, folks).

Sydney area - Friday 20 November

Summary Min 20 Max 41

Very hot. Late gusty change.Possible rainfall: 0 mmChance of any rain: 10%

Very hot and sunny. Light winds becoming northwesterly 25 to 40 km/h in the late morning. A cool southerly change 30 to 40 km/h in the evening, squally and reaching up to 55 km/h along the coast.

Fire Danger - Very High

UV Alert from 8:40 am to 4:50 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 12 [Extreme]

I may have to record Henry Lawson's poem "The Southerly Buster": http://www.poetrylibrary.edu.au/poets/lawson-henry/the-southerly-buster-0698006
What's "UV alert" and "UV index"?
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

UV = ultraviolet . Australia is the world's leader in skin cancers , so they now give out warnings on high UV days and run advertising campaigns "Slip Slap Slop" about using sun protection cream.
Of course one day they will discover that the actine ingredient in the cream increases the risk of peoples heads dropping off :D :D

Anne
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Now tell 'em about the drop bears, Anne! :D

SOTE
carteki

Post by carteki »

SonOfTheExiles wrote:Now tell 'em about the drop bears, Anne! :D

SOTE
You mean the cute cuddly things with BIG teeth?
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

My daughter's dog saw one on the ground (they only climb down to get to the next tree) and wandered up to see what it was. Big mistake - it jumped on her back and clung there - and it has very long claws.
Very sick dog . The vets put a notice on her cage "Sophie B - attacked by Killer Koala"
Beware the drop bears is my motto

Anne
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I will never understand why people VOLUNTARILY live in a place where EVERYTHING - literally! - is capable (and out to) kill you... :shock:

Oh wait, wrong thread, is it? :lol:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
carteki

Post by carteki »

Availle wrote:I will never understand why people VOLUNTARILY live in a place where EVERYTHING - literally! - is capable (and out to) kill you... :shock:
And think it's cute enough to put on a birthday cake!
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Yeah, Australia sounds fascinating but also scary. I would have to think twice (or even thrice) about going there :shock:

On another note: don't you hate it when your AV randomly cuts you off from one of your favourite forums (no, not LV) falsely claiming that the site contains malware? :roll:
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
J_N

Post by J_N »

Availle wrote:I will never understand why people VOLUNTARILY live in a place where EVERYTHING - literally! - is capable (and out to) kill you... :shock:
Look who's talking ;) You live in a place that has Giant Killer Hornets... and disgusting (almost) indestructible centipedes... :shock:
Julia - Introverts, unite! Seperately... in your own homes.

Spend your free time the way you like, not the way you think you're supposed to. ― Susan Cain

Author death +70 yrs? Legamus!
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

If it's in a rum commercial, you know it has to be true!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULEQpUY_crc
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Don't you hate... when a site hosting an e-text of a book you considered soloing has been failing to load for days? (There's a text on one more site but that one is based on a more contemporary edition, so it's probably out of bounds).
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Its probably a Killer Koala seeking revenge in the only way it can :D . They live on Eucalyptus leaves so have chewing teeth, only have claws to climb up trees, And apart from the males making awful noises at other males they are cute and cuddly looking. And aren't bears.
Now if you want to do something really dangerous in Australia that you couldn't do in Poland , go swimming with a salt water crocodile or a great white shark :D
Of course there are the Bunyips but it's best not to talk about them.

Anne
J_N

Post by J_N »

Seriously, how do people with arachnophobia or similar things survive down under? I'd be terrified all day, every day... I have seen pictures from friends where people have huuuuuuuge spiders living on their walls because they are harmless and eat the smaller spiders... so much NOPE! :shock: If I ever go down under, I'd visit New Zealand... they have a fauna that agrees with my phobias more :mrgreen:
Julia - Introverts, unite! Seperately... in your own homes.

Spend your free time the way you like, not the way you think you're supposed to. ― Susan Cain

Author death +70 yrs? Legamus!