Don't you hate...

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

when you build a small permanent vocal booth that just so happens to have the exact resonance to amplify the old lady's TV on the other side of the wall,
and you ring her bell one afternoon hoping to pop the question, knowing she is home (obviously), and she opens the door and immediately closes it,
but that night the TV is lower, but....
the next night it is up to full blast again, 24 hours a day, 2am, 6am, 10am, 5pm, 9pm, midnight...

no? maybe it's just me and my misophonia.
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

realisticspeakers wrote: July 12th, 2021, 8:26 pm when you build a small permanent vocal booth that just so happens to have the exact resonance to amplify the old lady's TV on the other side of the wall,
and you ring her bell one afternoon hoping to pop the question, knowing she is home (obviously), and she opens the door and immediately closes it,
but that night the TV is lower, but....
the next night it is up to full blast again, 24 hours a day, 2am, 6am, 10am, 5pm, 9pm, midnight...

no? maybe it's just me and my misophonia.
Oh no, that sounds enraging! Fellow misophoniac here.
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

Scarbo wrote: July 13th, 2021, 4:49 pm Oh no, that sounds enraging! Fellow misophoniac here.
Isn't it horrible? I've been doing various mindfulness meditations, listening to Mooji, Sadhguru, Samaneri Jayasāra (aka Maggie Smith), Tara Brach, Rinpoche, Bruce Frantzis, Michael Singer, Thich Nhat Hanh, and a whole bunch of other people with insufferable mouth noise.
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
Bookworm360

Post by Bookworm360 »

realisticspeakers wrote: July 12th, 2021, 5:20 pm
Bookworm360 wrote: July 12th, 2021, 9:15 am …When Audacity says ‘the disk is full’ when you’ve only recorded eleven minutes.😡 (What does that even mean by the way??)
time for the dreaded purge
Precisely
2 Timothy 1:7. Look it up.
Specializing in Middle-Earth🧝‍♀️, classics📖, and art🎨🖌
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Still in Lurgy-Lockdown in Sydney, and me still without the household Internet.

But that's pretty small potatoes next to our mates in Germany, the Benelux and elsewhere doing it tough at the moment flooding-wise, so I say the above only to explain, not complain.

The admin work I'm going to do in the next 30 minutes is through my mobile phone, so apologies in advance if I muck anything up while attempting to perform "keyhole surgery".

Cheers,
Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

When you just KEEP FINDING more public domain books you want to BC. I just impulse-launched one a couple days ago, and I so want to start another. :|

There is no cure for what I have.
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

I can identify with this! I keep adding to the list of books I want to coordinate, but I had to make a deal with myself that at least one of my current projects had to finish up before I could start anything new so that I can focus on my solo project.
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
Bookworm360

Post by Bookworm360 »

mightyfelix wrote: August 11th, 2021, 9:20 pm When you just KEEP FINDING more public domain books you want to BC. I just impulse-launched one a couple days ago, and I so want to start another. :|

There is no cure for what I have.
Well, apparently it's what made you an administrator! :D

1:be a LibriVox addict
2:be diplomatic and helpful (maintaining harmony on the LibriVox forum is important for the success of the project)
3:demonstrate hyperkeenness in Book Coordinator duties.
-How Librivox Works wiki page
czandra

Post by czandra »

The library of the college where I am emeritus prof underwent 3 years of million-dollar renovations, so that when my son went there, for 3 years he did his degree without access to a library. 3 years later, I have found out that they purged their entire poetry section. 300 books! One retired teacher I know, not from the English dept., was advised by a librarian and invited to pick up books, and he got 6. The rest....??? ! Some were old, probably lots out of print (poetry, you know). It's worse than the '90's when all the old oak card catalogues quietly disappeared.

I just have to vent!! It actually hurts.

Czandra
not from the English department
I asked my librarian about the noise, and she said,
"no one would come here if they weren't allowed to talk out loud."
So I read out loud.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

czandra wrote: September 15th, 2021, 7:51 am The library of the college where I am emeritus prof underwent 3 years of million-dollar renovations, so that when my son went there, for 3 years he did his degree without access to a library. 3 years later, I have found out that they purged their entire poetry section. 300 books! One retired teacher I know, not from the English dept., was advised by a librarian and invited to pick up books, and he got 6. The rest....??? ! Some were old, probably lots out of print (poetry, you know). It's worse than the '90's when all the old oak card catalogues quietly disappeared.

Czandra
That is INSANE!!
~Lynette * - family visiting, very slow response and PL work until the 22nd.
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
czandra

Post by czandra »

There was an English dept. very strong in poets, whose works were probably in that bunch too. They are retired, and people aren't assigning their books. I've learned that some libraries don't think archiving is their task.

Boo hoo.

Cz
So I read out loud.
Bookworm360

Post by Bookworm360 »

czandra wrote: September 15th, 2021, 7:51 am The library of the college where I am emeritus prof underwent 3 years of million-dollar renovations, so that when my son went there, for 3 years he did his degree without access to a library. 3 years later, I have found out that they purged their entire poetry section. 300 books! One retired teacher I know, not from the English dept., was advised by a librarian and invited to pick up books, and he got 6. The rest....??? ! Some were old, probably lots out of print (poetry, you know). It's worse than the '90's when all the old oak card catalogues quietly disappeared.

Czandra
:shock: :evil: @#$$&**$#@!!!! :shock: :shock: WHAT IN THE NAME OF MIKE??!! :shock: :shock: :cry:

EDIT: Pardon the incoherence; disposal of literature always drives me up the wall. :evil:😡🤬😤
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

When you're all primed and ready to record, but the wind is howling around the house and rattling all the windows. :evil:

And it shows no sign of letting up. :(
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I had a small window of opportunity to record yesterday afternoon. Just as I was deciding to do it, the washing machine in the next room started its spin cycle. :lol: At least that was more temporary! (I didn't record, though, even after the washer stopped.)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
czandra

Post by czandra »

I recorded half a story for Myths and Legends, then realized I'd left my earphones plugged in.
Can't record and listen at the same time.... Oh well, the second take was smoother!

btw, I'm using a brilliant device called MIFI from the local library, so I can have internet.
Now I have to be sure to do what I came to this internet-free zone to do!

Cz

PS The zone is a writers' residence 2 hours north of you, Tricia!
So I read out loud.