Don't you hate...

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: March 17th, 2019, 12:39 pm

Such a shame that the source of the story you were reading wasn’t a serialisation in The Strand magazine over several issues. Then you could’ve justified the change in voice by briefly straying into THIS story at the appropriate juncture:
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/44113/44113-h/44113-h.htm#Page_97

Chris

Thanks for that link -- in idly following it and looking over the rest of that Strand issue, I found a really fun piece to read for the current NF collection (Trousers in Statues!!)

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

ColleenMc wrote: February 21st, 2019, 7:59 am
Edit to add: Oh, and I just went back to listen and edit the bit I was recording yesterday and had forgotten the part where my elderly chihuahua mix has a lovely hacking gagging cough that kicks up periodically, and you can clearly hear her (from the next room!) in one of the segments I thought was salvageable.... :roll:

Colleen
Oh my gosh! That's so funny! :lol: That actually made me laugh, hard :lol: My cat decided to perch himself right next to me once when I was recording and burst into a sneezing fit that lasted several minutes. I paused the recording to take him out of the room, but he came right back and kept sneezing...and the sound was embedded into the soundwaves and eventually ended up as a PL note: 'unidentifiable background noise' haha :lol:
TriciaG wrote: March 16th, 2019, 6:19 pm Don't you hate when, on page 154 of your solo, you read:

"It was Mrs. Smith's clear, quiet voice that broke in upon the almost painful hush...."

And you've given Mrs. Smith (an old lady) a creaky voice throughout the book? :shock:

Sorry, Ms. Authoress - I will not redo the voice because you waited until the book was half over to tell me that she had a clear voice! :lol:
That made me laugh too! I don't think the author was considering that you might pick her book for a Solo on LibriVox! :lol:

I love this thread, it shows that everyone makes mistakes...sometimes very funny ones. :wink:
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

...when you get 15 minutes into a recording for a group project before realizing that the Duke and the Prince are the same person, when you have given them conflicting voices thus far :evil:
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

If that [many obscenities redacted] up the block doesn't stop honking their horn -- jeez buddy GO KNOCK ON THE DOOR!!

[sorry had to vent]

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

when you sit down in a few extra minutes to record and promptly get the hiccups
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

lymiewithpurpose wrote: May 10th, 2019, 4:36 pm when you sit down in a few extra minutes to record and promptly get the hiccups
Oh my gosh that's awful!! :lol:
I know there's a ton of ways to cure hiccups, but I like to exhale really hard, then gulp a bunch of water and hold my breath after swallowing. It usually works. :wink: :lol:
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

When I was about 4years old, my rather strong-minded Grandmother and I were walking to church and I got hiccups. She assured me "hiccups were just a matter of self control". I was sufficiently impressed to stop, so maybe they are :D.

Anne
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

annise wrote: May 11th, 2019, 4:36 pm When I was about 4years old, my rather strong-minded Grandmother and I were walking to church and I got hiccups. She assured me "hiccups were just a matter of self control". I was sufficiently impressed to stop, so maybe they are :D.

Anne
Interesting!
Strange. Sometimes I try for hours and they just won't go away. Annoying.
Thanks for telling me that, though, I'll try that! :D
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
cowguy02

Post by cowguy02 »

Foon wrote: March 11th, 2019, 5:45 am ... when you snap your fingers to mark a stumble in your recording, only to realise you were not recording and actually having a conversation with another human being? :lol: :oops:
I’ve don’t that but I clap twice so it’s very noticeable :roll: Just imagine chatting with someone and them clapping loudly in your face twice. It’s very humiliating to say the least! (And completely hilarious when recalling the incident)
Projects that need readers
ONLY ONE CHAPTER TO GO!!!!!! Bealby
The life of Harriot Stuart
The Blind Brother[/color]
cowguy02

Post by cowguy02 »

When you get out of your both and find out that your computer had generated a error message and had only recorded 10 min of your 1:30 hour section! :shock: :roll: :cry: :evil: :twisted:
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

cowguy02 wrote: May 29th, 2019, 9:53 am When you get out of your both and find out that your computer had generated a error message and had only recorded 10 min of your 1:30 hour section! :shock: :roll: :cry: :evil: :twisted:
Soo true, although... 1 hr 30 mins? :shock: In ONE sitting?
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
cowguy02

Post by cowguy02 »

Piotrek81 wrote: May 29th, 2019, 10:00 am
cowguy02 wrote: May 29th, 2019, 9:53 am When you get out of your both and find out that your computer had generated a error message and had only recorded 10 min of your 1:30 hour section! :shock: :roll: :cry: :evil: :twisted:
Soo true, although... 1 hr 30 mins? :shock: In ONE sitting?
Yeah, I like to record a lot of chapters in one sitting so that they feel like one breath. I think it makes the story flow much better then if i do it a chapter at a time
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Ouch. I have done something similar... but not 1 hour and a half. Sorry that happened to you.
Nedge

Post by Nedge »

...when you have a perfect day to record all day, but your neighbor decides to take a tree down and ALL YOU CAN HEAR is a chainsaw and a chipper?
"Ready, willing, and vaguely competent." -- Sandra Boynton, 2021
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

So I was browsing through Book Suggestions, to find something good for a new group project.

Ooo, a 12-episode story about a con man whose multiple-time victim is a shady millionaire? Great! I set it up, then do a forum search to find the old book suggestion so I can remove it. Upon searching, I find that Lynnet has already launched it (feel free to join in!): viewtopic.php?f=2&t=76510 :|

Okay, fine. I'll do THIS project: a 74-section work on Medical Curiosities! Spontaneous combustion, being buried alive, decapitation, obesity, insanity, eating non-foods... lots of crazy stuff! As I'm working on word counts, I see that it has a TON of Latin and French. Err, no thanks. :evil:

Two strikes. Will the third time be a charm, or will I strike out? :roll:

Maybe I WILL go with a Sax Rohmer melodramatic crime novel, which was my first inclination...

EDIT: Nah - I'm going with a Christmas book. Stay tuned...
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine