Don't you hate...

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

I decided to read Victor Hugo's '93 as a solo, as it's a story I've read several times and loved. And I still do love it, but reading it aloud has made me focus on the parts I just used to skim quickly over. I have just recorded an hourlong chapter which has absolutely nothing to do with the novel's plot and which largely consists of a list of prominent/interesting members of the French revolutionary government, often in the form "A, the unreliable friend of B, called C by his enemies, Nemesis of the [date,] who pronounced the epigram "xxxx" upon D upon the occasion of D's quarrel with E..." in which each letter is replaced by a name which I find somewhat challenging to pronounce and I have no idea what happened on that date...

I think in the final summary I'll add a note listing the chapters which could be skipped by someone primarily interested in the story as a story, though they might be of especial interest to a listener who knew the history of the French Revolution well and was interested in Hugo's take on its personalities. (I suppose such a person may catch every time I have guessed a name's pronunciation wrong. Oh well.)
Back from a low-internet no-Librivox year in Georgia. Glad to be with you again.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Hugo sure did love his parenthetical passages! He laced Hunchback of Notredam with them too. I love that you're doing '93!
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

JoannaHoyt wrote: January 16th, 2022, 4:27 am I decided to read Victor Hugo's '93 as a solo, as it's a story I've read several times and loved. And I still do love it, but reading it aloud has made me focus on the parts I just used to skim quickly over. I have just recorded an hourlong chapter which has absolutely nothing to do with the novel's plot and which largely consists of a list of prominent/interesting members of the French revolutionary government, often in the form "A, the unreliable friend of B, called C by his enemies, Nemesis of the [date,] who pronounced the epigram "xxxx" upon D upon the occasion of D's quarrel with E..." in which each letter is replaced by a name which I find somewhat challenging to pronounce and I have no idea what happened on that date...

I think in the final summary I'll add a note listing the chapters which could be skipped by someone primarily interested in the story as a story, though they might be of especial interest to a listener who knew the history of the French Revolution well and was interested in Hugo's take on its personalities. (I suppose such a person may catch every time I have guessed a name's pronunciation wrong. Oh well.)
Ha ha! There was a chapter in Hunchback (explaining the history and growth of Paris) that I considered a great chapter for someone to record for the Insomnia Collection. Our LV recording of it is 1 hour, 6 minutes long. :shock: It sounds like this chapter would be another such candidate!
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

TriciaG wrote: January 16th, 2022, 7:04 am

Ha ha! There was a chapter in Hunchback (explaining the history and growth of Paris) that I considered a great chapter for someone to record for the Insomnia Collection. Our LV recording of it is 1 hour, 6 minutes long. :shock: It sounds like this chapter would be another such candidate!
Hmm... I could see that fitting well, unless the relaxing mind would get an awkward jar at the frequent mentions of the violent deaths of various listed characters... Perhaps if that were read in a reassuring monotone it wouldn't make a bad impression.
I think the history of the Parisian sewers in Les Miserables would be great for the IC, though...
Back from a low-internet no-Librivox year in Georgia. Glad to be with you again.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I think I must have been the only person who was actually completely riveted during the sewer chapters. :lol:
maxgal

Post by maxgal »

mightyfelix wrote: January 16th, 2022, 8:53 am I think I must have been the only person who was actually completely riveted during the sewer chapters. :lol:
So long as you're not "actually" riveted in the sewer main! :lol:
Louise
"every little breeze..."

Fun Fact: 40% of all statistics are wrong.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

:lol:

:clap:
DyeffersonAz

Post by DyeffersonAz »

I almost lost a half-hour file because of problems in my cloud sync, as I use the cloud to store my active projects...
maxgal

Post by maxgal »

DyeffersonAz wrote: January 16th, 2022, 5:19 pm I almost lost a half-hour file because of problems in my cloud sync, as I use the cloud to store my active projects...
Ah yes, the "cloud" ... another perfectly good word, hijacked by geeks. :evil:
Louise
"every little breeze..."

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

maxgal wrote: January 16th, 2022, 6:12 pm
DyeffersonAz wrote: January 16th, 2022, 5:19 pm I almost lost a half-hour file because of problems in my cloud sync, as I use the cloud to store my active projects...
Nah - geeks hate that word being used for the internet, too. It was hijacked by marketers. ;)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
maxgal

Post by maxgal »

TriciaG wrote: January 16th, 2022, 6:25 pm
Nah - geeks hate that word being used for the internet, too. It was hijacked by marketers. ;)
I wonder if they like spam. ... spam spam spam spam, spam spam spam spam...
Louise
"every little breeze..."

maxgal

Post by maxgal »

...when you finally have time carved out to do some recording... and the guy next door decides to play with his power tools, All. Day. Long.
Louise
"every little breeze..."

JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

...when you are an alto without Mil Nicholson's vocal talents and you assign a slow growly pseudo-bass voice to an apparently taciturn minor villain, and then several chapters later you realize that he has to yell a longish speech from the top of a tower to an audience on the plain below.... a fact which you somehow forgot after reading the book last year....
paullawleyjones

Post by paullawleyjones »

maxgal wrote: January 17th, 2022, 5:30 am
TriciaG wrote: January 16th, 2022, 6:25 pm

I wonder if they like spam. ... spam spam spam spam, spam spam spam spam...
Yes, more than the Spanish Inquisition!
Paul Lawley-Jones
My Reader Page

"There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you." – Bene Gesserit "Litany of Fear," Dune
czandra

Post by czandra »

JoannaHoyt wrote: February 20th, 2022, 7:30 pm ...when you are an alto without Mil Nicholson's vocal talents and you assign a slow growly pseudo-bass voice to an apparently taciturn minor villain, and then several chapters later you realize that he has to yell a longish speech from the top of a tower to an audience on the plain below....
or you get through chapter after chapter of a heavy ontology book, bravely wielding Old English, French, German, Latin, even Greek, then get to the end and find an entire passage of Dante's inferno waiting for you in the original Italian, which you do not speak. Sigh.

Cz
I asked my librarian about the noise, and she said, "no one would come here
if they weren't allowed to talk out loud." So I read out loud.

Je lis à haute voix car refléchir fait trop de bruit!