Librivox Book Club-August: the confidence Man

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

Welcome to the 12th meeting of the LibriVox Book Club, running throughout August.

This month we are listening to The Confidence Man: his Masquerade read by mb (10:55:58).

This book is available as M4B and can be downloaded from this link.

The catalogue summary says:
MThe Confidence-Man: His Masquerade was the last major novel by Herman Melville, the American writer and author of Moby-Dick. Published on April 1, 1857 (presumably the exact day of the novel's setting), The Confidence-Man was Melville's tenth major work in eleven years. The novel portrays a Canterbury Tales-style group of steamboat passengers whose interlocking stories are told as they travel down the Mississippi River toward New Orleans. The novel is written as cultural satire, allegory, and metaphysical treatise, dealing with themes of sincerity, identity, morality, religiosity, economic materialism, irony, and cynicism. Many critics have placed The Confidence-Man alongside Melville's Moby-Dick and "Bartleby the Scrivener" as a precursor to 20th-century literary preoccupations with nihilism, existentialism, and absurdism. (Introduction by Wikipedia)
Take a listen and then post your thoughts here. If you’ve listened to the book previously (or even if you’ve just read it!) feel free to join in with the discussion. You can say negative things about the book but not about the reading (according to the first rule of Librivox, which is "be nice"). Please also bear this rule in mind if you find your opinion of the book differs from those held by other listeners.

If you want to post any discussion which you feel may ‘spoil’ the book for anyone who has not listened as far as you, please write:

Potential Spoiler Alert

Up to chapter X

(where X is the number of the chapter you’ve reached) at the top of your post.

If you want to know what’s going on, or suggest an audio book for future listening and discussion, our suggestions thread is here.
Nadine

Les enfants du capitaine Grant

Live in a death + 70 country? Have a look at Legamus
Nullifidian

Post by Nullifidian »

No spoiler alerts, because I've not even begun, but this is one of my favorite novels. I'm looking forward to it. :D
jollyrogered

Post by jollyrogered »

I am about two chapters in and I am greatly reminded of why I love Herman Melville so very, very much.
duck... duck... ZOMBIE!