Music - What are you listening to?

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
mightyfelix

Post by mightyfelix » July 15th, 2018, 7:32 pm

Lately, I can't stop listening to this guy. He's from New Zealand and opened for Josh Garrels when I saw him in concert last month. I've pretty much been playing all of his music on repeat for the last two weeks.

CliveCatterall

Post by CliveCatterall » August 12th, 2018, 10:17 am

I like lots of different styles of music.

My current approach to finding new music is to go into the local hospice charity shop in Malvern and see what looks good in the CD selection. (this shop has a big music section). Some stuff is mind-blowingly good (Buena Vista Social Club, Ravi Shankar, Andres Segovia) some not so good (Nigel Kennedy playing Vivaldi's Four Seasons- great music, but a bit stodgy 1980s performances).

This is like my approach to finding interesting books. I visit Hay-on-Wye - a town that seems to be completely made up of second hand book shops. Sometimes I don't know what I want until I see it. I love odd out of print stuff. I once found a book written by a bank clerk about his hobby making primary mirrors for telescopes. I wasn't looking for a book on that subject, but the enthusiasm and ingenuity the author showed made the book irresistible.

Music is the same. I'll see what looks good and give it a listen.

Clive

Peter Why

Post by Peter Why » August 12th, 2018, 11:28 am

Clive, could you post or PM me with the details of that book about making telescope mirrors, please? When I was at school, I got part way through making one, and have often wished that I'd persisted with it and finished making the whole reflector.

Peter
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world is either a madman or an economist." Kenneth Boulding, 1973

SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles » August 17th, 2018, 3:27 am

There was something magical in the pre-Hubble days, when the atmosphere briefly stabilised, and the Sinus Iridum, or Mars’ features, or assorted planetary nebulae swam into view in perfect clarity for a few minutes.
"Sorry, my tongue got in the way of my eye-tooth, and I couldn't see what I was saying..."

Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 » August 20th, 2018, 11:15 am

Just finished listening to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhCnHJGk4TU (link to official YT channel of the recording label)
These guys have been the no.1 on my list in these last 12 months.
Come help us record The Deluge THE DELUGE IS BACK!
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS

thestorygirl

Post by thestorygirl » September 24th, 2018, 7:05 pm

Here are some different ones lately:

Andrew Peterson
The Blue Planet Soundtrack
Mysterium by Hammock (nap time music for me!)

I've also been having fun making mood playlists based on the books I read. :D