Music - What are you listening to?

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Kangaroo692

Post by Kangaroo692 »

The High Kings - Boolavogue and The Parting Glass

New favorite songs! :)
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

Kangaroo692 wrote:The High Kings - Boolavogue and The Parting Glass

New favorite songs! :)
Hey Kangaroo692! Thanks for the tip off. I hadn't heard of The High Kings but now I've sampled a few of their songs and I'll be re-visiting their stuff on YouTube. They seem to me a more sophisticated version of The Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makin (who were great favourites of mine).

Best,

Barbara
Kangaroo692

Post by Kangaroo692 »

Bobby Clancy, one of the nephews of the Clancy Brothers, is actually a member of the High Kings. We have a Celtic radio show in our city, and I try to request a song every so often, and usually it's one of these. :)
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

the boyfriend has introduced me properly to The Decembrists lately. I had heard of them somewhat, but never really really listened until just the last few weeks. they're interesting.
'whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.' -Oscar Wilde
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

Piotrek81 wrote:I bought the lastes album by Nightwish yesterday and it's been the main thing I'm listening to since then.
I don't buy many CDs now that I have access to Spotify but I decided to make an exception for one of my favourite bands :)

Nightwish-My Walden
Nightwish! I forgot about Nightwish. they're so enjoyable though, especially when you're in the right sort of intense mood. thanks for reminding me about them.
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
Kangaroo692

Post by Kangaroo692 »

Kangaroo692 wrote:Bobby Clancy, one of the nephews of the Clancy Brothers, is actually a member of the High Kings. We have a Celtic radio show in our city, and I try to request a song every so often, and usually it's one of these. :)
They have a new album out - some of it is not all that great IMO, but Spancil Hill is my favorite so far.
Cori

Post by Cori »

I don't know why ... and it's the weirdest thing ... but I've had John Denver as an earworm for weeks now.

Rocky Mountain High and Annie's Song in particular. Not even slightly to my taste for general listening, but here we are.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I could listen to Sting for hours on end.... And have!
Win2017

Post by Win2017 »

Many things, Classical has to be top of the list then bands like: Arcade Fire, Mumford and Sons(not the latest album, ughh, why?) Laura Marling(early stuff is way better), Switchfoot, Tallest Man on Earth, Regina Spektor. Anything folky :D
Last edited by Win2017 on February 18th, 2018, 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hope Kuerschner

It is not the will of God that in this life we should be sinless, Lest we should find a perfection apart from forgiveness. P.T Forsyth
Theologians have done more to hide the gospel of Christ than any of its adversaries. GM
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Stefan Grossman, John Renbourn, Sandy Denny, Davey Graham - for folk and Blues;

Tangerine Dream and Edgar Froese, shakuhachi music - for more abstract sounds.

Penguin Café Orchestra for fun, and to draw my attention in.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
venus12

Post by venus12 »

I listen to wide variety of music but, what I like most are country, rock, and pop. No offense, I don't like music with few words that's repeated over and over again like beyonce's
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

3 of my favourite bands have recently released new albums, namely:
Eluveitie- Evocation II (Pantheon) (with a new female vocalist)
Leaves Eyes' - Sign of the Dragonhead (with a new female vocalist; haven't given that one a spin yet)
Heidevolk - Vuur van Verzet

If you like metal with a bit (or more than a bit) of folk thrown in, check them out.
Actually, the Eluveitie one is much more folky than their previous releases. No guitars.
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

I've had this song in my head for some days now. the music video is fascinating too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeonBmeFR8o&index=6&list=PLxKHVMqMZqUSPF11Ghs0KqDfOGhB9Vw5E
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Cori wrote: February 15th, 2018, 12:14 pm I don't know why ... and it's the weirdest thing ... but I've had John Denver as an earworm for weeks now.”
When I was a little kid, a cousin of sorts of mine had a one-song repertoire .. “Leavin’ On A Jet Plane”. She actually played it (guitar) and sang it really well, but that was as far as her songbook went. So I kinda had a down on that song growing up, I’d heard it more often than I wished, y’know.

That said, I came across the original John Denver recording of it a couple of years ago and, well, ... it moved me. It’s not such a bad song after all, cousins notwithstanding.
mightyfelix wrote: February 15th, 2018, 12:57 pm I could listen to Sting for hours on end.... And have!
Most of his portfolio, I’d like, but don’t dig. (I am a child of The Sixties, LOL).

But “Fields of Gold” always makes my eyes moist.

Okay, now that everyone knows I’m a total wuss, I’ll go butch it up and record that “Duke the Pirate” piece. :lol:

Chris
Last edited by SonOfTheExiles on February 19th, 2018, 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox