Music - What are you listening to?

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
venus12

Post by venus12 »

I like Leaves Eyes'
Piotrek81 wrote: February 18th, 2018, 10:08 am 3 of my favourite bands have recently released new albums, namely:
Eluveitie- Evocation II (Pantheon) (with a new female vocalist)
Leaves Eyes' - Sign of the Dragonhead (with a new female vocalist; haven't given that one a spin yet)
Heidevolk - Vuur van Verzet

If you like metal with a bit (or more than a bit) of folk thrown in, check them out.
Actually, the Eluveitie one is much more folky than their previous releases. No guitars.
watekinslet

Post by watekinslet »

Lately, I've been listening to tracks on Spotify to get inspiration, and later downloading them from either iTunes or Bandcamp! I didn't even know Bandcamp existed until a few weeks ago... kinda nice to support something that isn't a mega-corporation like Apple :P I wanted an alternative to SoundCloud, and this mentioned Bandcamp and some others. I grew a bit tired of SoundCloud, so really needed something different, as I didn't think their suggestions algorithm was very useful anymore :( So Spotify and Bandcamp/iTunes has been more than enough :)

I think my top 3 artists at the moment are Kiasmos, Audrey Fall, and Allie X
VfkaBT

Post by VfkaBT »

Chris Stapleton's blues-infused country rock is a current fav. Also the song Paradise that the Shib Kids used to great effect last night at the Olympics, and the theme song to the HBO miniseries, Big Little Lies.
My previous LV work: Bellona Times
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

With a steady rain falling in central Arkansas and wet weather predicted from Texas to Michigan, this one seems appropriate. https://youtu.be/WxGC7dXya0c
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚
venus12

Post by venus12 »

I also like Ed Sheeran's Thinking Out Loud :thumbs:
watekinslet

Post by watekinslet »

I'm quite enjoying the new Vance Joy album. Can still hear that trademark sound but it's gone in some interesting directions.
venus12

Post by venus12 »

That's cool! Is it really free? is it full of Ads?
Cori wrote: August 25th, 2006, 8:01 am I'm quite hooked on http://www.pandora.com/

You type in a few of your favourite artists or songs, and it puts together a 'radio station' for you with more things you might like. You do need to be a resident of the US to sign up properly (I'm in a very distant suburb of 90210, for example :wink: ) but it's a very interesting way to hear new music in a certain style. And it's Very Free! Excellent!

I have several 'stations' programmed, one based on VNV Nation (EBM), another for Dream Theater (modern prog rock), and I'm just getting around to experimenting with IrTradPunk like Flogging Molly and classical (I'll probably start with Karl Jenkins' The Armed Man: A Mass for Peace and see where that leads me.)

Cheerily wide-ranging music taste, yes.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

venus12 wrote: March 13th, 2018, 2:15 am That's cool! Is it really free? is it full of Ads?
Cori wrote: August 25th, 2006, 8:01 am I'm quite hooked on http://www.pandora.com/

You type in a few of your favourite artists or songs, and it puts together a 'radio station' for you with more things you might like. You do need to be a resident of the US to sign up properly (I'm in a very distant suburb of 90210, for example :wink: ) but it's a very interesting way to hear new music in a certain style. And it's Very Free! Excellent!

I have several 'stations' programmed, one based on VNV Nation (EBM), another for Dream Theater (modern prog rock), and I'm just getting around to experimenting with IrTradPunk like Flogging Molly and classical (I'll probably start with Karl Jenkins' The Armed Man: A Mass for Peace and see where that leads me.)

Cheerily wide-ranging music taste, yes.
It is full of ads, yes. It didn't used to be as bad. If you look at the date of the post you quoted above, you'll see that it was written in 2006. It was better then. I used Pandora for a long time, but I got sick of the ads.
Cori

Post by Cori »

Pandora stopped being available in the UK several years ago, so that was that for me ... and if it's available again now, the ads don't sound fun.

(Also, 12 years ago!!! ARGH!!! The time! It passes!)
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
Edmonds

Post by Edmonds »

I'm really into the classic rock band Kansas. For those who aren't familiar with the name, they did Carry on Wayward Son and Dust in the Wind.
Kehinde

Post by Kehinde »

I listen to a lot of underground chillstep/dubstep ambient music. Here are some favorite artists but aren't limited to:

Julian Kruse
Jacoo
Tom Day
BlackMill
Hiatus
Phaeleh

I also listen to a lot filmscore music and video/computer game sound tracks- :D Epic stuff-- it's great for working on anything - I turn them on and listen when I need to accomplish stuff. :D Just helps re-energizes and hones concentration-- it's also very inspiring. Some of my favorites:

Ivan Torrent - (check out his tracks "Before I Leave this World". It's my absolute fave! Very chill-)
Audiomachine
Two Steps From Hell
Peter Roe
Zack Hempsey
John Dreamer
Thomas Bergersen
C21FX

Again, not limited to that list! :D I'm always on the lookout for underground awesome chill or epic stuff. I get a lot of stuff from YouTube but Sound Cloud is a great place to search out rare underground tracks :D

For those who are into gaming- Skyrim and Enderal soundtracks ROCK! World of Warcraft tunes are always staples - check out youtube for the extended versions and the ambient tracks. They've got the OSTs but I like to pick out certain tracks especially those that are ambient and atmospheric.

My recent fave--- Witcher tracks-- Yup, Witcher 1, 2 and 3! They did such a great job with the game AND the music. :D
If not now, when? Wake up and live!
ErickMcFarlow

Post by ErickMcFarlow »

I love the singers with really good voices. I have like a top 5 I could listen to all day:

1. Shuan Mendes
2. Adele
3. Charlie Puth
4. I can't think of the person's name, it's the song that goes like "I give you all, all, all, of me, and you give me all, all, all of you".
5. Megan Trainer

That's my top 5.
Cori

Post by Cori »

4 - that'll be John Legend! It's a new song to me, but it's lovely: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=450p7goxZqg
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
Nedge

Post by Nedge »

I love a lot of different things as well. Songs from my era -- 70s rock and folk -- and Hipster stuff, Mumford and Sons, Lumineers, Decemberists, Frightened Rabbit, Johnny Cash (right before his death,) Big Bands, Faure', protest music, Celtic anything. My current Spotify playlists for my trip to Scotland? Scottish music, one called "Hipster Crap," and some audio books. :)

Nan
"Ready, willing, and vaguely competent." -- Sandra Boynton, 2021
ErickMcFarlow

Post by ErickMcFarlow »

Scottish music while going to Scotland sounds like a heaven for me! That's the right thing to do. Whenever you go somewhere, you play the kind of music they listen too. :mrgreen: