Music - What are you listening to?

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Clorinde

Post by Clorinde »

I listen to a lot of instrumental music.
I love classical but also contemporary experimental and electronic.
My biggest inspiration is the composer "Steve Reich" and the Minimalism movement.

On the avant-garde side "Oval" (Markus Popp from Germany) is one of my favourite, he produces organised noise creating extraordinary soundscapes.

But what about you folks?

What music do you like?
Last edited by Clorinde on August 25th, 2006, 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://www.clorinde.org/]Visit Clorinde![/url]
raezel

Post by raezel »

I listen to a wide variety of music. When in the right mood, soundtracks are great (orchestral ones, like the soundtrack of the Rock). Other favorites are vocal trance and eurodance. Then of course rock, especially finnrock. I also listen to country, rap, pop, ehatever sounds good no matter it's genre.
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Music? :shock: Who has time to listen to music? :shock: I burn audio cd's of our books to listen to in the car as my hubby gave me a cd player for it this past Christmas.
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
Cori

Post by Cori »

I'm quite hooked on http://www.pandora.com/

You type in a few of your favourite artists or songs, and it puts together a 'radio station' for you with more things you might like. You do need to be a resident of the US to sign up properly (I'm in a very distant suburb of 90210, for example :wink: ) but it's a very interesting way to hear new music in a certain style. And it's Very Free! Excellent!

I have several 'stations' programmed, one based on VNV Nation (EBM), another for Dream Theater (modern prog rock), and I'm just getting around to experimenting with IrTradPunk like Flogging Molly and classical (I'll probably start with Karl Jenkins' The Armed Man: A Mass for Peace and see where that leads me.)

Cheerily wide-ranging music taste, yes.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
kayray

Post by kayray »

Cori wrote:(I'm in a very distant suburb of 90210, for example :wink: ) .
Lol Cori! This is the third time, maybe, that I've seen pandora mentioned here and I finally clicked the link! It's making me a Beatles-based station right now :)
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
timberwolfmage

Post by timberwolfmage »

I love oldies, especially Fleetwood Mac and CCR, and classical music, especially Vivaldi. I'm also a big fan of musicals -- particularly Rent and anything by Andrew Lloyd Webber. And I love Irish music...it makes me happy. :P

I like soundtracks as well -- I got the soundtrack from Pirates of the Caribbean (the first [aka "good"] one) on my iPod.

I'll have to look into that Pandora place -- sounds like something that'd be a lot of fun to mess around with.
-- [url=http://www.trekandromeda.com][b]Rosalind Wills[/b][/url]
GlassMask

Post by GlassMask »

I ran a series of music stores for 13 years, so my tastes are hopelessly warped and obscure. I don't listen to much country or opera, but anything else is worth a try.

I'll plug my fave musician, Happy Rhodes, because she's fairly unknown. Fans of Peter Gabriel, Kate Bush or Annie Lennox won't be disappointed. I even designed the logo for her website.

Other faves: Nik Kershaw, Joe Jackson, Scritti Politti, Mos Def, Stephen Schwartz, Howard Jones, Suzanne Ciani, Melanie Safka, Akiko Yano?

Ted
"To those who accept their fate, happiness. To those who defy their fate, glory."
anna

Post by anna »

I love the old ones, the 1940's, 50's and 60's.
Franky laine, Patsy cline, Glenn miller, Harry Belafonte, The Shadows, Dave Berry, Peter Kraus and Italian music.
Classic music : Handel, Vivaldi.
Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.
Kennis spreekt, wijsheid luistert.
featherheadfop

Post by featherheadfop »

Music :D! There are so many wonderful things to listen to ... my favorite musicians include : Sigur Ros, Mum, Bjork, Yann Tiersen, Philip Glass, Genesis, Yes, bis, Gregor Samson, Regina Spektor, Musicals in general, French Musette Music in general, and Classical Composers in general :D. And nearly anything else, excluding metal, rap and country.

Speaking of, does anybody else here use last.fm? I think it's a wonderful service, my account is here : http://www.last.fm/user/brainfissure
timberwolfmage

Post by timberwolfmage »

Haha, yay Philip Glass! Einstein on the Beach is so awesome...I listened to it all the way through straight once. My mom was ready to shoot me but I enjoyed it.
-- [url=http://www.trekandromeda.com][b]Rosalind Wills[/b][/url]
shortcircuit

Post by shortcircuit »

I like classical music, mostly. Soundtracks, instrumental stuff, musicals, and artists like Josh Groban and Il Divo....

Oh, and Reliant K. :)

Online I listen to streamingsoundtracks.com, accuradio.com's classical crossover, Yahoo's launch, and... um... Pandora...
- Maria
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

Current enjoyables include Elbow, Blonde Redhead, David Sylvian, Eno, anything with Robert Fripp, Aphex Twin, The Gadiators, Misty in Roots... early Genesis (these youngsters who like Muse have no idea...)

At the V-Festival last weekend: Radiohead, Beck, Morrissey, Imogen Heap, Echo and the Bunnymen (for nostalgia)... my daughter raved about Regina Spektor, but I missed her.

Next gig lined up: Porcupine Tree.
KATWAL

Post by KATWAL »

Teresa Griffith, Broken Walls, Karen Davis, Selah, Basha, Andre Boccilli, Martha Munizzi, Josh Groban, Keb Mo, Winds of Fire, Jason Upton, Allison Kraus, Ottmar Liebert

Then going back in time...

Santana, any 60's Motown, Stray Cats, any big band stuff, any latin and every once in a while, when just in the mood, I put on some Funk.

Love watching international videos on LINK TV. There is some really interesting music from all around the world.

Notice no one has mentioned any Blue Grass! :hmm:
It's best listened to in person, in a park, with your lawn chair and full cooler.

Katwal
Kathy
Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. M. Mead
putitinyourshoe

Post by putitinyourshoe »

hmm. i'm pretty surprised and i feel a bit outta place. anyway, i really like the clash and the sex pistols and the ramones. i also listen to a lot of indie stuff like ted leo and architecture in helsinki and the arcade fire. so woohoo for diversity!
WADE!
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

Hey Wade! Ever heard Mission of Burma? Recommend them -- I'm most fond of their gorgeous stuff like Einstein's Day and Trem, but they've got astonishing punk drive stuff (like Weatherbox!) -- well, most of it is that. They're phenomenal (that's the accurate term). I do think Beethoven was the first punk rocker, though.
Anyone for Throwing Muses?
Anita