The naming of cats is a difficult matter

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
kristin

Post by kristin » July 25th, 2006, 9:05 pm

Next week friday we are going to pick up our new kitten. We have had her on reserve for over a month and still haven't come up with a name. Here is a picture of her.
http://dav.earthlink.net/kristinlov/MegaMail/b71a9cad23706c7bab2a34562819576c

She seems to be a lively little thing and in all the pictures I've received from the breeder she's looked very alert and proud. I'd love any suggestions anyone may have for a name for her. A literary name would be great or anything interesting or unusual.

(I would have put the picture in the post but I don't know how.)

raezel

Post by raezel » July 25th, 2006, 10:59 pm

I've allways wanted to have a cat and call it Ny ("ny" is an abbreviation used in a dialect from where I come from, from the word "nyt", which in english means "now"). So when you addressed the cat you could use sentances like "Lets get going Now" or "Stop that Now".. But I have somewhat twisted sense of huomour so propably no-one else would find that sensible or funny..
Last edited by raezel on July 25th, 2006, 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kristin

Post by kristin » July 25th, 2006, 11:02 pm

raezel wrote: But I have somewhat twisted sense of huomuur so propably no-one else would find that sensible or funny..
Then I must as well because I found it very amusing. :D

thistlechick

Post by thistlechick » July 26th, 2006, 7:23 am

Oh, she's sooo sweet.... Yes, a literary name would be cute... but the first thing I thought of when I saw her picture was "Oh, what a cute little sprite of a kitty!" ... so my name recommendation is "Sprite"

However, we always name our pets with human names (Sid, Oscar, etc.)
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!

kayray
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kayray » July 26th, 2006, 7:36 am

She's adorable! I also prefer human names for animals (we have a cat named Karen and a bird named Roger). She looks like a Lily to me.
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)

Gesine

Post by Gesine » July 26th, 2006, 7:40 am

How cute and fluffy! 'Button' came to my mind (cute as a button maybe, or because the nose is like a cute button). But I might call her Astonishment, or Ston short. She looks kind of astonished (and is astonishingly cute). Actually, Ston is not a bad name... Hmmm... But I like artists or literary names. We were going to call our boat 'Mr Collins' after our favourite Pride & Prejudice character. You could call her Larson, after the Danish painter. Often painted cats. Or Toulouse-Lautrec, he did that poster with the cat on it. Both Toulouse and Lautrec would be good names, hein? Plenty of cat names in T.S. Eliot, of course.

I could go on for hours. Why not wait until you have her home, and see what greater exposure to her character throws up?
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein

gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl » July 26th, 2006, 7:52 am

thistlechick wrote:Oh, she's sooo sweet.... Yes, a literary name would be cute... but the first thing I thought of when I saw her picture was "Oh, what a cute little sprite of a kitty!" ... so my name recommendation is "Sprite"

However, we always name our pets with human names (Sid, Oscar, etc.)
I was thinking she had a rather Puckish air... perhaps Puck?
Karen S.

anna

Post by anna » July 26th, 2006, 9:07 am

How does SPOT sound? Or what about Munchkin?
We had a cat once, he is gone now.
His name was DODO. :D
Last edited by anna on July 26th, 2006, 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.
Kennis spreekt, wijsheid luistert.

a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs » July 26th, 2006, 9:24 am

I've named two cats after experiencing them a while, and those were special relationships as a result.

Adopted a lovely lovely cat -- her beauty may have made naming difficult at first. In the first week noticed she galloped frequently and called her Pony -- and she was very responsive to the name.

[Spike was my longest cat companion, but I have no recollection how I named him. What a gentleman cat. What a dear.]

We got an only survivor alpha male ferril kitten just before it learned to walk. Bottle fed it the first days. Day two with us it wobbled across the kitchen floor and attacked Eddy's ankles. Ankle-biter was appropriate but lacked a quality. Next day it raced past wobble and began careening off the baseboards, its typical locomotion from then on. Like a hockey puck, he'd bounce off the walls. Puck stuck. What a character. I looked forward to discovering him into my old age, but a car interrupted that trajectory. No cat since.

But anyway, I second Gesine's suggestion to have her home awhile -- a sort of let-the-name-reveal-itself approach. :) It's fun.
Anita

KATWAL

Post by KATWAL » July 26th, 2006, 9:56 am

I'll weigh in with those who say spend some time with her first. Although I have to admit that sometimes the name that came later rather than sooner probably wasn't as sweet or kind as it could have been.

My children (now grown) had the privledge of naming some of our cats from the past. I'll give you a list. Maybe some of these will inspire you or at least let you mark some off your list.

Mooser-poo which got shortened to simply Moose. (Great cat and big too!)
Jose, which turned out to be female. Oh, well.
Josephina, Jose's daughter. We thought we'd at least get the gender right.
Bartholo"mew" - aka Bart
Nelson - Bart's son
Punkin - yes an orange cat
Chief Spookums - awesome cat. Daughter dressed it in costumes
Momma - because she seems to always be...
Smudge - had a smudge mark on his head
Boo-Boo Kitty - because she was one
Boo-Boo Kitty 2 - because she was also one

Daugther's present cat is named Malina

How about finding out how to say "cat" in different languages and pick a nice sounding one?

Good luck and good naming
Kathy

kristin

Post by kristin » July 26th, 2006, 10:02 am

Oh, so many good suggestions. We had a hard time naming our last cat as well, but for him we went to the breeder and picked him out, we didn't know anything about him in advance. We must have gone through 20 names before we finally decided on Jasper. I think it's been harder this way, knowing a little bit about her and having to wait so long... I'm getting really impatient to go get her. I'm a little hesitant to name her anything too cute because though it fits her now, odds are she'll be at least 15 pounds when she grows up and I'm not sure it will fit her so well then. Jasper is just turned two and he's a little over that now. They are both Norwegian Forest Cats, hence the large size. I believe it to be the most intelligent breed of cat I have ever encountered, and very sweet and gentle. I could go on all day about Jasper's antics. :D But I'll control myself.

KATWAL

Post by KATWAL » July 26th, 2006, 10:10 am

Maybe a Norwegian name!
K

12makoto

Post by 12makoto » July 26th, 2006, 10:19 am

I say go with the name Destroyer...
Yep, definitely looks like a Destroyer ^_^

gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl » July 26th, 2006, 10:25 am

KATWAL wrote:How about finding out how to say "cat" in different languages and pick a nice sounding one?
I did that with my first cat, named her Michi, which is quechua for cat.
Karen S.

anna

Post by anna » July 26th, 2006, 10:33 am

Conan the Barbarian, Patton, Bradly, Monty, Pirate.
More to come :D
Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.
Kennis spreekt, wijsheid luistert.