What made you choose your nickname?

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

realisticspeakers wrote: March 9th, 2020, 2:17 am I was looking for an online username that would not give any clue as to where, who, or what I am.
This was before librivox.
I used it here to save myself from any potential embarassment, like not being able to spell embarras, or reading terribly.
So, I'm looking around for some inspiration and found
Sherlock Holmes could find you. In fact...
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

Sprakers are not as realistic as headphones ...
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

Sheer lack of inspiration. The '2' was to distinguish me from others with the same name.

barbara2
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

barbara2 wrote: March 17th, 2020, 5:43 pm Sheer lack of inspiration. The '2' was to distinguish me from others with the same name.

barbara2
Haha! I'm going to call you 'barbara, also.'
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

barbara2 wrote: March 17th, 2020, 5:43 pm Sheer lack of inspiration. The '2' was to distinguish me from others with the same name.

barbara2
I think the genius is unparalleled.
Oh no wait.
It is paralleled.
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
linny

Post by linny »

realisticspeakers wrote: March 17th, 2020, 6:44 pm

barbara2
I think the genius is unparalleled.
Oh no wait.
It is paralleled.
:lol:
schrm

Post by schrm »

not a spectacular story, but..
maybe a rather personal.

i chose one of my first nicknames.
the other sites, where i used it, are offline for years and the last remaining site closed some weeks before i registered.

also, i wanted something, wich grants some anonymity. i remembered vaguely, that austria's laws don't permit to submit to the public domain (or the smilar, but not ident construct we call gemeinfrei).
now i know, that i was right to do so.

and what made me invent this nickname?
it was a sort of scrabble game, where i shortened and changed some letters here an there, and voila: i discovered a nickname, which resembles my cats purring, when they start to cuddle. i speak it like shrm in english and schrm in german.
so, it is also honouring my first 2-3 cats, to be honest (or all of them, or better: all cats in the world) - and i wanted to use it on at least one website, actively.
and i thought it to be ideal for librivox, since we read audiobooks, and schrm can resemble scream, also.
8-)
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
realisticspeakers

schrm wrote: March 22nd, 2020, 4:24 am ....also, i wanted something, wich grants some anonymity. i remembered vaguely, that austria's laws don't permit to submit to the public domain...
You gave away the store.
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
schrm

Post by schrm »

realisticspeakers wrote: March 22nd, 2020, 4:45 am
schrm wrote: March 22nd, 2020, 4:24 am ....also, i wanted something, wich grants some anonymity. i remembered vaguely, that austria's laws don't permit to submit to the public domain...
You gave away the store.
i'm sorry, i don't understand: "to give away the store" means something like "to weaken the own argumentation"?

do you mean, that i tried to get away with a sort of workaround solution?
yes, that is correct. when most people don't know who i am, most people cannot claim to have inherited the rights on my audiofiles and voluntary work.

or do you mean, this aspect weakens the other points in thoughts?
it was an aspect... i am interested in arts and photography for some years now, and "you cannot give away rights for other persons, just for yourself" is the legal point of view regarding all kind of works.
in photography, eg, the rights on the pictures include: the person photographed has the rights on her/his looks; the photographer made the arts; the photostudio is the employer and gave the posibilities, customer and possibility to make the photograph; the legacy of the photographer has following rights as progeny of the artist, and so on.
the same is with books, or any kind of work which includes creative powers - so i thought, reading and interpretation fall along the lines.
and now i know, i began to make cd covers, too..

but that doesn't mean, schrm as a word is not imitating a cats purr :wink: :D
at least, i hope you people are able to associate this with my name, not some layman's thoughts about our laws.
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
realisticspeakers

schrm wrote: March 22nd, 2020, 5:05 am
You gave away the store.
i'm sorry, i don't understand: "to give away the store" means something like "to weaken the own argumentation"?...
do you mean, that i tried to get away with a sort of workaround solution?...
or do you mean, this aspect weakens the other points in thoughts?...
but that doesn't mean, schrm as a word is not imitating a cats purr ....
Choosing a username for anonymity is a native motive for protection. Another native motive is our need to communicate and connect.
Diametrically opposed virtues. Two circles of a Venn diagram whose intersection is Austria and its public domain legal structure.
"Now we know everything", with hyperbolical humor I declare in light of your slip of anonymity.
Is it a far reach on my part? Yes. Do I miss my cat terribly? Yes.
Disclaimer:
schrm

Post by schrm »

realisticspeakers wrote: March 22nd, 2020, 5:39 am
schrm wrote: March 22nd, 2020, 5:05 am

You gave away the store.
i'm sorry, i don't understand: "to give away the store" means something like "to weaken the own argumentation"?...
do you mean, that i tried to get away with a sort of workaround solution?...
or do you mean, this aspect weakens the other points in thoughts?...
but that doesn't mean, schrm as a word is not imitating a cats purr ....
Choosing a username for anonymity is a native motive for protection. Another native motive is our need to communicate and connect.
Diametrically opposed virtues. Two circles of a Venn diagram whose intersection is Austria and its public domain legal structure.
"Now we know everything", with hyperbolical humor I declare in light of your slip of anonymity.
Is it a far reach on my part? Yes. Do I miss my cat terribly? Yes.
...i'm fascinated, that you have sucessfuly summarized my 3 paragrahs with the three important sentences, which say it all :lol:

also, isn't a circle "wish for anonymity", one "wish to communicate and work together", and one "the laws of my country - and even a 4th circle existing: "laws of the us", and a 5th one: "basic rules in the lv forum"?

all in all, the condensed version of the circles intersections results in cats purring :D 8-)

send you a cat's purr in your mind!
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Yes, I've always translated your name as "protective shield". Or umbrella :mrgreen:
So it makes sense to protect your anonymity
schrm

Post by schrm »

Rapunzelina wrote: March 22nd, 2020, 6:21 am Yes, I've always translated your name as "protective shield". Or umbrella :mrgreen:
So it makes sense to protect your anonymity
:lol:

well, that makes sense..

and isn't a cat's purring a wonderful shield?
it is like watching a fireplace, sometimes.
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
MMMD2505

Post by MMMD2505 »

anna wrote: July 26th, 2006, 9:24 am Starlite, my name is Ans. Anna is my first baptismal name, so you do not have to guess anymore. :wink:
I think Dutch names are by far the most beautiful. Both my parents are Dutch, so I might be prejudiced. :)

"All human wisdom is contained in these two words- Wait and Hope."

-The Count of Monte Cristo
kenzeavo

Post by kenzeavo »

The name of my voice over (attempted) business was Ken Zea Voice Over. Shortened to kenzeavo. Pronounce it anyway you like.

I wanted to use "Grandpa's G.A.S." 'Cause everyone knows that I'm full of hot air. The GAS acronym had a few different meanings, that i wont go into, now.