What made you choose your nickname?

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
KATWAL

Post by KATWAL »

Well KATWAL is the first three letters of my first and last name. Not very creative, guess I wasn't feeling it the day I logged in.

I have friends that call me Kat, Kath, Khatia. My granddaughters call me Grandma K. Then when I was about 9 or 10, I lived across the street from another Kathy. We were Kathy 1 and 2 for a while. Then the other Kathy's mother asked me to pick a name to go by, so we wouldn't get mixed up. And being all of 9 or 10 I thought I wanted an exotic, "no-one-else-has-it" name. I became "Venus" for the next 2 years. Doesn't that sound like the choice of a 10 year old? Several years back I was in a restaurant and I heard someone yell out "Venus"! Oh my gosh! I hadn't heard it in at least 20 years, and hadn't been called that in more years than that. Stuff can definately come back to haunt you.

Kathy Waltrip
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

First initial of firstname, followed by entire lastname. Boring boring boring.

-Catharine
jimmowatt

Post by jimmowatt »

ceastman wrote:First initial of firstname, followed by entire lastname. Boring boring boring.

-Catharine
Well, I dunno cos ceastman does look a little like quite an intriguing made up name.

I just stuck my two names into one word.
I decided to use what's (more or less) my given name on the net these past 3 years for fairly long, convoluted and really quite pretentious reasons.
ExEmGe

Post by ExEmGe »

My younger son had an MG (F), then he went off to work in the US so I had it. Then he returned and had it back again. My elder son had a Fiat (124 Spider) but then he got married and started a family and a sports car is really not suitable for a family man so of course dad bought it.
So here I am - Ex MG
Regards
Andy Minter
jimmowatt

Post by jimmowatt »

ExEmGe wrote:So here I am - Ex MG
:lol: Oh that's wonderfully bizarre
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

ExEmGe wrote:My younger son had an MG (F), then he went off to work in the US so I had it. Then he returned and had it back again. My elder son had a Fiat (124 Spider) but then he got married and started a family and a sports car is really not suitable for a family man so of course dad bought it.
So here I am - Ex MG
Neat Story! I gots a 1971 Karman Ghia in the garage :) Maybe I should have been "Karman" :P
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
stella

Post by stella »

well, stella is the nick I usually use on the net... so maybe you've seen me other places already. In fact, I have two nicks - this and another one that I use in case this is already taken.
I chose it initially because I once had a penpal that couldn't remember where to put the accent on my real name and called me this instead. Plus it means star in Italian, short and everybody can remember it - even me. ;)
kayray

Post by kayray »

stella wrote:well, stella is the nick I usually use on the net... so maybe you've seen me other places already. In fact, I have two nicks - this and another one that I use in case this is already taken.
hehe same here, I use kayray for everything online, and kayrayovac if it's taken :)

I've been Kayray to my family since I was a little child. It's just a playful variation of Kara. I think my uncle came up with it originally. My husband and son call me kayray, too!
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
fae

Post by fae »

like MermaidMaddie i truly dislike using those ridiculous stickers 'hello my name is____' mainly because my name always gets mispronounced :x
and the most common stumble is on the first sylable as: fae!
i've lived and worked in many different countries and at different jobs and it gets so tedious to keep correcting people's misreads or to keep repeating the name 'til i'm no longer being refered to as: debra, sandra and even sonja!
so if you can't lick'em join'em!
also f.a.e. just happen to be my initials and after i had our son, i tacked on my husbands last name, so now i'm fae haldane.

have the classicist among you figured out my name yet?

it's the spanish, female translation of phaedrus or

fedra
(pronounced FEH-dra) :wink:

hey jimmowatt are you, by any chance, related to the jim watt, of greenock, scotland?
jimmowatt

Post by jimmowatt »

fae wrote:hey jimmowatt are you, by any chance, related to the jim watt, of greenock, scotland?
Wrong coast for my clan.
The Mowatt family territory has always been West coast up above Edinburgh on toward Aberdeen.
None of them great engineers as far as I can tell.
From the little I've read of them they just did what most Scottish clans did and fought with everyone around them.
kri

Post by kri »

My nickname has quite the history. Originally it came from my name, Kri short for Kristin. I created it because some friends and I were creating our own worlds when we were younger. We were fans of sci fi and fantasy, and had fun making these worlds. We each created a character of sorts in that universe that was us. Mine was Kri Sini.

Then we got the internet at home, and one of my common usernames was kri_ceilla (I was obsessed with all things celtic at the time). This was also the chat name that I used in yahoo scifi fantasy, and that is where I met the man I married :) That's the only name he knew of me for months, until I told him my real name. It's stayed on as a sort of personal nickname between us.
kayray

Post by kayray »

kri wrote:This was also the chat name that I used in yahoo scifi fantasy, and that is where I met the man I married :) That's the only name he knew of me for months, until I told him my real name. It's stayed on as a sort of personal nickname between us.
Another successful internet romance! Cool :)
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
fae

Post by fae »

oh mowatt :lol:

i had (obiously) split your name as jimmo (thinking it was a derivation of jimbo) and watt!

the reason i had asked is that a good friend of is a decendent of james watt, and i thought 'ooh what a small world!' maybe not, eh?

i'm part of the graham clan (highlanders, i think) by marriage.

btw (i'm giggling fondly) greenock is on the west coast of scotland, as opposed to the other west coast where edinburgh and aberdeen are to be found. :wink:
jimmowatt

Post by jimmowatt »

fae wrote:btw (i'm giggling fondly) greenock is on the west coast of scotland, as opposed to the other west coast where edinburgh and aberdeen are to be found. :wink:
Damn!
It's like getting my left and right mixed up.
Just change around all the words I said, substitute some that make sense and pretend I said that

Mowatt clan <Jim hits himself over the head with hammer and shouts> EAST
fae

Post by fae »

<Jim hits himself over the head with hammer and shouts>
coming from a family of dyslexics i find mallets to be preferable :wink: