What made you choose your nickname?

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

When I registered I didn't know my account name would be my screen name so I wound up with my initials, alg1001. I sound like a robot or something. I wanted the name of a certain tree. Frankly I would settle for algae. Ah, well. After all these years it is a part of my identity now.
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
Kristine1990

Post by Kristine1990 »

I just read your forum name in a robot voice, alg1001 :lol:
SimileRoss

Post by SimileRoss »

Symmie wrote: February 14th, 2009, 2:37 am Growing up my best friend was the oldest of 4 girls. Her youngest sister was named Breanna, my name is Briana. So we did the typical tricks on her mom when she would call Breanna I would go in and vice versa. Finally one day her mom said, "we have got to come up with a nickname for you!" So they took Symmie from my last name Simmons. I have been Symmie ever since.
My sister calls me Simmie, too! 'Cept with an I, not a Y.
Sincerely,
Simile (Millie) Ross :P :lol: :D :) :wink:
SimileRoss

Post by SimileRoss »

I didnt know I was supposed to use a Nickname, so its just my regular name :shock: :cry: :| :hmm:
Sincerely,
Simile (Millie) Ross :P :lol: :D :) :wink:
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

SimileRoss wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 12:07 pm I didnt know I was supposed to use a Nickname, so its just my regular name :shock: :cry: :| :hmm:
Perfectly fine!! It's all about personal preference... Some folks want to completely hide their identity, while others use their real names and even provide links to personal websites. Another motive for nicknames is that you finally get to pick what name you go by! ;)

So really there isn't a right or wrong way. And however you do it, you're in good company!
~Rosebud
Bookworm360

Post by Bookworm360 »

Then I should have chosen something LOTR. They have the BEST names...
2 Timothy 1:7. Look it up.
Specializing in Middle-Earth🧝‍♀️, classics📖, and art🎨🖌
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Bookworm360 wrote: December 15th, 2020, 6:56 pm Then I should have chosen something LOTR. They have the BEST names...
That is very true. I do wonder how authors choose their names, especially if they’re unique like JRR Tolkien’s names! You have to have an inventive mind to come up with those :lol: :lol: I always pick names for my characters and then regret the choice halfway through the book...
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

JayKitty76 wrote: December 15th, 2020, 7:57 pm
Bookworm360 wrote: December 15th, 2020, 6:56 pm Then I should have chosen something LOTR. They have the BEST names...
That is very true. I do wonder how authors choose their names, especially if they’re unique like JRR Tolkien’s names! You have to have an inventive mind to come up with those :lol: :lol: I always pick names for my characters and then regret the choice halfway through the book...
Well, if you're Tolkien, you make up an entire language or three first. Then picking a name to fit the language comes easy! :lol:

(Fun fact: Eowyn was almost named Findhuilas.)
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

mightyfelix wrote: December 15th, 2020, 9:39 pm
JayKitty76 wrote: December 15th, 2020, 7:57 pm
Well, if you're Tolkien, you make up an entire language or three first. Then picking a name to fit the language comes easy! :lol:

(Fun fact: Eowyn was almost named Findhuilas.)
That type of creativity, though, is just incredible. (Hahahaha I’m glad he stuck with Eowyn... :lol: :lol: ) I’m a native English speaker and I struggle with that alone, as well as trying to become fluent in Spanish (I do wish I had become fluent in Spanish when I was little, would’ve made things a lot easier for me but anyway... :lol: ) without making up a new language too hahahahaha!
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~