What made you choose your nickname?

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
sbb4677forever

Post by sbb4677forever »

well, its a long story as to how I came up with it, but I'll tell you this. The guy that I honor in my username is one of those folks who unfortunately has been forgotten.
"You are either alive and proud or you are dead, and when your dead you don't care anyway. and your method of death can in itself be a politicizing thing." Stephen Biko
ductapeguy

Post by ductapeguy »

Originally I used the nickname Cyberfolkie, which combines my love of computers and folk music. Alas, about 7 years ago, a friend of mine co-opted my nickname for her email. To avoid confusion, and with much whining, I chose the nickname ductapeguy.
I became known as the duct tape guy after I wrote a song about duct tape. You can hear it here: http://ezfolk.com/audio/download.php?band_id=600&song_id=2246&mode=song_hifi.

Sean
[size=84] Sean McGaughey
Librivox: [url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=231]Catalog[/url] | [url=http://ductapeguy.net]ductapeguy.net-- My music and podcasts[/url][/size]
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

Sean,

That has to be the best explanation ever! Great song (darn, how am I gonna get it outa my head?), and somehow very LV. :D

David
zom

Post by zom »

I am a huge Morrissey fan and one of his nicknames is Moz. It is just that backwards. :)
I know a good thing when I speak it.
Clorinde

Post by Clorinde »

Clorinda was my grandmother.
I spent a lot of time with her back home in Italy.
She had quite a troubled life, but happy after all.
She inspired me and my family in anything good we've done and in a way she still does...

:wink:
GlassMask

Post by GlassMask »

I hate my name, not because it's apparently impossible to spell or pronounce, but because it isn't mine. It's my dad's, and his dad's, and his dad's, and. . .

Beh!

So, since I'm actor, I figured I'd use "mask" in there somewhere, but since I'm so poor at keeping secrets, I figured a "glass mask" would be a pretty bad disguise (assuming the glass is transparent). Glassmask.net is my domain and Mask o' Glass is a nick I use online.

But all the cartooning I've done in the past few years has been done under a different name. Maybe I'll manage to keep that secret for a while longer. . .

Ted
"To those who accept their fate, happiness. To those who defy their fate, glory."
moox_deadeye

Post by moox_deadeye »

Moox because it sounds like my real name (or does to me), and Deadeye because i think it sounds cool.
luciburg

Post by luciburg »

AT my age it's easy to remember :roll:
[b]There are no strangers, only friends you haven't met yet.[/b]
Jazbees

Post by Jazbees »

I came up with "Jazbees" several years ago. If you say my initials quickly -- JSB -- you'll get the idea. :)
Justin S Barrett
http://www.justinsbarrett.com/

Solo: The 116th Battalion in France | The Life of John Taylor
brianlojeck

Post by brianlojeck »

this is the nickname I use when I want my postings to turn up in a potential employer's google search.

No, you can't know the other name I use. ;-)
Brian Lojeck
Webmaster, [url=http://www.whatbrianthinksaboutlasvegas.com]What Brian Thinks About Las Vegas[/url]
rootpi

Post by rootpi »

Well, I assume this is obvious, but rootpi is √π (not sure if that will come out on screen, but you get the idea). I'm a math nerd so after seeing it on a license plate at my alma mater (Caltech, natch), I stole it for myself and now use it as my regular screen name. It's not just a random combination of mathy things (though that would be totally sufficient for me); it arises quite centrally when studying the Gaussian (aka normal) distribution.
:)
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

rootpi wrote:Well, I assume this is obvious, but rootpi is √π (not sure if that will come out on screen, but you get the idea). I'm a math nerd so after seeing it on a license plate at my alma mater (Caltech, natch), I stole it for myself and now use it as my regular screen name. It's not just a random combination of mathy things (though that would be totally sufficient for me); it arises quite centrally when studying the Gaussian (aka normal) distribution.
Good heavens, and here I was thinking it was a cute first name. Finnish, maybe. ;)
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
rootpi

Post by rootpi »

That's fantastic! I think I'll create a whole Finnish background for myself now...

Despite my current librivoxity, I don't generally talk a lot, and always appreciated the joke about two Finns in a sauna enjoying some beers. After an hour or so, one says to the other, "So, how are things?"
Twenty minutes later the other replies, "Are we here to talk or are we here to drink?"
Janie No. 5

Post by Janie No. 5 »

:-)

Does anyone know the movie "Short Circuit"? The little robot always looking for more and more input and books books books...

There are some parallels between us (although I'm not quite as fast when it comes to reading)...
And as the cute fellow is called Johnny Number 5 I decided to create a female version: Janie No. 5 was born.

(shortcircuit wasn't free anyway 8) )
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

YES! :D "Need...more...input..." My dad used to say that to me whenever I came home from the library with armloads of books.
In my experience, nothing ruins a party like someone suddenly speaking Latin in reverse.
-- Jeffrey Rowland