What made you choose your nickname?

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

Oh, I don't believe they exist! :)
Karen S.
meham

Post by meham »

Mine is a combination of my first and last names. Nothing fancy there. However... I chose my last name because of a college roommate. She called herself "Alham"-- a combination of her first and last names. She also played jazz on her viola. She was a slight, redhead and very kind to me at a time when I needed connection.

Oh, yes, and I'll be glad to record! That is a really cool idea.
Listen... No, wait! Listen!... You hear that?
DrWombat

Post by DrWombat »

usaeagle wrote:Well, just so you know, Wombats are not rodents, they are marsupials. Or they could be Marsupials of Unusual Size.
Really! Eep. I stand corrected.
usaeagle

Post by usaeagle »

LOL It's really no problem to me - if I hadn't lived here for 12 years I'd probably think they were R-O-U-S's myself, but your normal Australian has a big problem with many things American - mainly thinking (rightly I am sad to have to say) that your average American thinks Australia is near Germany, that kangaroos live in every back yard, and the whole country looks like the land in Crocodile Dundee.
"Your My Bow"

(Marjorie Jones, on Penrod's 12th Birthday)

http://jonathansgolfshop.blogspot.com/
Old Guy

Post by Old Guy »

Simple..simple..simple.. :roll: I'm old!!!
Have a rainbow day
loof

Post by loof »

my x-gurlfrend sed I was a loof. I liked that. :twisted:
Besides its much better than duck ape girly.
joyfuljenilee

Post by joyfuljenilee »

Mine is a combination of my first and middle names - Jenilee Joy, and I think I'm a pretty joyful person, so heck, why not switch them around a bit and make it into a user name? My last name also started with a J until I got married, now I'm JJE... hmmm. Yup that's about it :)
Jenilee
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.
[url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=1266]Jenilee's LibriVox stuff[/url]
Planish

Post by Planish »

planish
verb [ trans. ] flatten (sheet metal) with a smooth-faced hammer or between rollers.
DERIVATIVES planisher noun ORIGIN late Middle English (in the sense [make level] ): from obsolete French planiss-, lengthened stem of planir ‘to smooth,’ from plain ‘smooth, level.’
One of my other hobbies is being involvement in the Society for Creative Anachronism . I mostly participate in Rapier Combat, but now I'm building a suit of (mostly) steel armour so that I can also do Heavy Combat (aka "Rattan Combat").
Planishing is what you need to do to make the big bumps (from the rough dishing and shaping) into thousands of very small flat dents, prior to sanding and polishing. I use the "smooth-faced hammer" method. If you've ever seen "hammer tone" spray paint, that's what it's supposed to simulate.

Plus I like the look and sound of the word, and even though most people don't associate it with anything in particular, it still sounds like a real word.
There is no frigate like a book / To take us lands away,
Nor any coursers like a page / Of prancing poetry.
ChristianPecaut

Post by ChristianPecaut »

I chose to use my real name because almost nobody does anymore, and I want to aggregate risk-filled principled actions in order to produce solving human intelligence advancement.
[url=http://www.archive.org/details/secretspeech]Khrushchev[/url]-[url=http://www.archive.org/details/DudjomRinpoche]Cognition[/url]
Ticktockman

Post by Ticktockman »

Harlan Ellison, originally from Cleveland, is my favorite writer, not least of all because he writes short pieces nearly exclusively (which is about all I can handle).

'Repent, Harlequin!' Said the Ticktockman portrays a dystopian future where time is strictly regulated. Being late is not merely an inconvenience, but a crime which carries a penalty of a proportionate amount of time being revoked from one's life. The story focuses on a man, known as Harlequin, who wreaks havoc with the schedule kept by the Master Timekeeper, known behind his back as the Ticktockman.

Though the Ticktockman is the "bad guy" in this story it's easy to remember, spell, and (perhaps most importantly) reminds me to beware my internal Ticktockman (roughly equivalent of Freud's super-ego, at least to my relatively unschooled mind).

On the other hand, it sounds a little dumb as an alias, but Gesine told me that changing it would make life more difficult on LV, which is the LAST thing that I want to do.

Printed, ebook, and recorded editions are all pretty easy to find, and it's a quick read (even for me).

Thanks,

Harlequ....I mean TTM
Last edited by Ticktockman on April 3rd, 2007, 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
[color=darkblue][size=92][i]Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind.[/i] -- Henry James[/size][/color]
Chrisczech

Post by Chrisczech »

Old Guy wrote:Simple..simple..simple.. :roll: I'm old!!!
Not so! You've just been young longer.
[url=http://librivox.org/idle_thoughts_of_an_idle_fellow_by_jerome_k_jerome/]Idle Thoughts Of An Idle Fellow[/url] / [url=http://librivox.org/the-triumphs-of-eugene-valmont-by-robert-barr]The Triumphs Of Eugene Valmont[/url]
PepsiBoo

Post by PepsiBoo »

It's one of those things where the family pet's name got mispronounced by a very young me. I think her name was really Bessie, but I remember her as PepsiBoo. My parents had a few dogs where names changed along the way. Milly became Billy (think that was during Clinton's presidency,) but was also called William, and Penny became Pen, then Penwen, but also known as One-cent.
I like to use a different login for every site that I use, and PepsiBoo is one of those "insider" jokes. If my parents or sisters ever come over to record, they'll get it immediately.
FriscoSquid

Post by FriscoSquid »

Well, this one is easier to explain than you would probably expect. My real first name happens to be Squid. How I got the real name Squid is a whole other story involving my mother, my older sister, and depending on what mood I am in, possibly Tlingets. I spent the seven years before this February living in San Francisco. Thus, the name FriscoSquid was born. It's so much easier to say than Squid Varilekova; trying learning that one when you're in kindergarten!

--Squid

"The Frisco Squi-id was a friend of mi-ine!"
Ella Fitzgerald: "Delilah was a floozy. She never gave a damn."
LeonMire

Post by LeonMire »

Well mine's pretty easy to figure out - it's just my first and last name. But the thing is, I chose my name. I legally changed it 3 years ago from Ryan Lee Deak to Leon Korvin Mire. So I don't want a nickname - I like what I already picked!
I remember how, in college, I got that part-time job as a circus clown, and how the children would laugh and laugh at me. I vowed, then and there, that I would get revenge.
-[url=http://www.deepthoughtsbyjackhandey.com/][u]Jack Handey[/u][/url]
rita1075

Post by rita1075 »

Well, well, there is no reason not to disclose the origin of my nickname, so here I will tell you why I use rita1075 as a nickname.
I was baptized as a catholic when I was six years old, and my baptismal name is Rita.
And 1075 are just random numbers I chose.