Some Librivox Recordings On Audible

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Hello all,
I have seen some of our recordings (among them one which I personally pled) on audible. I am very proud of us. I wandered if you know that your recordings are on audible. We put our recordings in the public domain, and we usually don't get to know where they go. So I wanted you to know about this wonderful accomplishment. If you want to view the links to your recordings, post here and I'll send to you the links.
Stav.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
kayray

Post by kayray »

That's amazing! Do post a link, Stav *smile*
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Great news Stav! <Wonders if any of my recordings are on there>

Esther :)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

Well I went and searched by Ruth Golding (which seemed like an obvious possibility :-)) and came up with this: http://www.audible.com/pd/ref=sr_1_1?asin=B004AYXGJY&qid=1289259301&sr=1-1

Then by clicking on the "publisher" link you get this page: http://www.audible.com/search?searchProvider=Cherry%2BHill%2BPublishing
There are ten audio books credited to that page - at a quick glance, half are librivox recordings.

My one problem with it - they are charging $6.96 to download the exact same book you can get for free here. (At least with the Ebay seller's they are in a way providing somewhat of a service by putting them on CD).
They do say they are Public Domain, but no mention of Librivox. Wonder if they cut off the intro's and outro's as well?
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
kayray

Post by kayray »

m8b1 wrote: Wonder if they cut off the intro's and outro's as well?
I'll bet they did, but I'm not spending $7 to find out ;-)

Ah well. Some listeners might google Mark or Elizabeth or Ruth and find their way here, who knows?
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Actually, the first Google hit is Ruth's LV Catalog Page :P
http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=2607
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
Sonneteer

Post by Sonneteer »

m8b1 wrote:My one problem with it - they are charging $6.96 to download the exact same book you can get for free here. (At least with the Ebay seller's they are in a way providing somewhat of a service by putting them on CD).
They do say they are Public Domain, but no mention of Librivox. Wonder if they cut off the intro's and outro's as well?
Sure they provide a service, they are providing you the service of locking the files down into their proprietary audible format :roll: (works like an m4b, and even works on some devices that m4bs don't, although somewhat less robust.)
Compared to the $29.95 for the CDs on Cherry Hill, the $6.96 (or $4.87 for members) almost looks like a deal.
Sonneteer

Post by Sonneteer »

kayray wrote:
m8b1 wrote: Wonder if they cut off the intro's and outro's as well?
I'll bet they did, but I'm not spending $7 to find out ;-)

Ah well. Some listeners might google Mark or Elizabeth or Ruth and find their way here, who knows?
With some further digging, it appears they replaced the Librivox disclaimer with a pleasant bit of music:
http://www.cherryhillpublishing.com/Audio%20Demos/WutheringHeights.mp3
catchpenny

Post by catchpenny »

Sonneteer wrote: With some further digging, it appears they replaced the Librivox disclaimer with a pleasant bit of music:
http://www.cherryhillpublishing.com/Audio%20Demos/WutheringHeights.mp3
I guess that solves our problem if you dislike the disclaimer. Go buy it on cherry hill.
Anyone can read accurately. [i]I[/i] read with great expression.
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

hmm.
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

RuthieG wrote:hmm.
I agree on "Hmm."

But congratulations to everyone who made it there. I always thought we have some readers who are at least as good as the average on Audible. :clap: :clap: :clap:

One can write a comment there, to let people know where to get it for free.
DeRamos

Post by DeRamos »

RuthieG wrote:hmm.
Indeed. (I'm actually more intrigued by Cherry Hill's association with stop[ping] mind control and ritual abuse today, but I do not want to click on their link. :twisted: )

In any case, Audible's higher-ups can no longer talk smack about LibriVox (wasn't there an article about it last year?) because they're selling LibriVox productions. :D So, uh...thanks, Cherry Hill? :roll:
Ryan DeRamos
LibriVox Instagram Blog
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Further to "Hmm."...

We put all our recordings into the public domain, and we know that anyone can do anything with them. Yes. I know. So why does this one rile me so much? I have been gently simmering all day.

I think it is because of the publisher thing. A publisher does something, not just reducing the quality of an already compressed MP3, making a bad cut of the narrator saying the title and sticking a minute or two's muzak on the front. I made the mistake of googling the "publisher" and saw this:
Cherry Hill Publishing Narrator Lineup
Biographic summaries of all Cherry Hill Publishing audiobook narrators.
No, sir. Only the paid ones.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Sorry for rileing you, Ruth. I just wanted you to know.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.