Some Librivox Recordings On Audible

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

"Wasn't expecting that it was a recoarding of someone reading the book. I was expecting a triditional book on tape style."
Maybe I am missing something here...

:lol:

(The sad thing is that I think I actually understand what he/she means.)
Laurie Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Well I didn't - what IS a traditional book on tape style in English ?

Anne
Cori

Post by Cori »

Does it mean an actual cassette-tape recording, rather than one of these bizarro fly-by-night MP3 thingies? That file format will never take off, you know ... it's all 0s and 1s to me. Give me a proper old plastic-cased oxidised tape any day of the week.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

I figured the person meant recorded by a professional voice actor with the proper accent and a Sense of Gravitas about the proceeding, instead of one of us with dogs in the background and different people reading and so on. But we'll never know. Since he was surprised that an audiobook was made by a person reading a book, maybe he expects a computer voice. All I can say for sure is that clarity in written communication (in English anyway) is not his/her strong suit. lol.
Laurie Anne
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

neckertb wrote:If you read the reviews, someone actually found out it was available online for free...
Ah, that was me. ;) So they did publish it. :lol: (And I gave myself 4 stars...)
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

chocoholic wrote:
"Wasn't expecting that it was a recoarding of someone reading the book. I was expecting a triditional book on tape style."
Do you think they mean a dramatized production with a cast?
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

m8b1 wrote:My one problem with it - they are charging $6.96 to download the exact same book you can get for free here. (At least with the Ebay seller's they are in a way providing somewhat of a service by putting them on CD).
They do say they are Public Domain, but no mention of Librivox. Wonder if they cut off the intro's and outro's as well?
Oh yes, they certainly did. I actually had quite a discussion with Cherry Hill about this. I told them that the audio quality wasn't good enough for a "for sale" audiobook. They told me that they added original music and had spent a lot of time cleaning it up - but I know this isn't possible, as they were using the MP3 which had artifacts on it from the noise-cleaning I used to use. It was actually quite horrible in the end, especially with the music, so I am glad it is no longer available. (They could have asked me for the original file, of course...)

Ruth
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

RuthieG wrote:
neckertb wrote:If you read the reviews, someone actually found out it was available online for free...
Ah, that was me. ;) So they did publish it. :lol: (And I gave myself 4 stars...)
I don't think so, there's another older one down down down the list. And I did not check since you posted.
Nadine

Les enfants du capitaine Grant

Live in a death + 70 country? Have a look at Legamus
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Apparently we are Cherry Hill's publishing partner:

http://www.cherryhillpublishing.com/Links.htm

The LV box is NOT clickable though. :shock:
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Six months ago I had an exchange of emails with them, asking them to include:
Narrators of CHP Classics recordings: LibriVox volunteers make audio books of public domain texts and release these recordings into the public domain for free. Cherry Hill Publishing use these recordings to produce our "Classics" titles. Neither LibriVox nor the narrators benefit financially from these sales.
They replied:
I think your attribution statement is entirely reasonable and we will put it on the website.
And they did.

I also pointed out that producing audio CDs from MP3s does not make for commercial audio quality, and they said that "most of the recordings on the Librivox site do not have sufficient audio quality for commercial distribution" and that they put in many many hours of post processing work to improve them. I was apparently one of the "few exceptions to this", and as I said, mine was pretty rubbish, so I dread to think what the others were like.

Maybe if somebody else wrote to ask them to make the LibriVox logo clickable, they might be as amenable. I don't think it should be me again, though. They are probably fed up with me.

EDITED TO ADD:
My original email said:
I see that on another page there is an unlinked image, suggesting that LibriVox is one of your partners, like Audible or Amazon. Our volunteers don't seem to like this at all. We put all our recordings in the Public Domain, certainly, but that doesn't make us partners, which suggests some arrangement between us and some benefit for LibriVox.
Ruth
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

Holy cow.They're charging $39.95 for my LV recording of The Hunchback of Notre Dame. I guess it was a lot of work to edit-out the disclaimers on all those chapters.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I just found out that they are charging 19.95 for what appears to be my recording of "Madamme Butterfly".

It's quite a short book, but still... removing the disclaimers, adding the music, putting in an extra "m"... :mrgreen:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

They actually took mine out - which was nice. :) Largely I think because one person on Audible.com slated it (quite unreasonably, actually, as they said the voices of the characters were the wrong gender - I can't actually turn myself into a man to read an audiobook).

Ruth
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

You can't? :shock:
Nadine

Les enfants du capitaine Grant

Live in a death + 70 country? Have a look at Legamus
Nullifidian

Post by Nullifidian »

If you could, we could do an LV production of Guillaume Apollinaire's Les mamelles de Tirésias. ;)

In fact, it was originally written in 1903 and Apollinaire died in 1918, so anyone—barring our French speakers actually in France—could do it. :D