LibriVox
Forums

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently October 21st, 2017, 5:11 am


Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 30 of 31  [ 455 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next

Author Message
Offline
Post Posted:: February 24th, 2016, 3:25 pm 

Joined: April 13th, 2012, 2:29 pm
Posts: 3010
Location: Narnia! No wait...That's not PD...
I may also keep a mental note on who pronounces Librivox how and who stresses which words :oops: I then copy some of my favourite narrator's versions of the disclaimer so I never stress the same word twice! (I particularly enjoy reading the disclaimer in the style of Cori Samuels, who stresses "this" and "all" and makes it sound particularly pretty)

Gosh, I have way too much time on my hands... :roll:

_________________
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!


Top
 Profile  
Online
Post Posted:: February 27th, 2016, 7:53 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

Joined: November 22nd, 2005, 10:22 am
Posts: 11697
Location: Great Britain
You probably know this hint already, Cat. But I smile broadly when I say 'or to volunteer'. Warms up the tone nicely. :D

_________________
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: April 14th, 2016, 2:12 pm 

Joined: April 14th, 2010, 2:22 pm
Posts: 718
Location: California
Cori wrote:
You probably know this hint already, Cat. But I smile broadly when I say 'or to volunteer'. Warms up the tone nicely. :D


Aye, that's something my old boss would instruct my co-workers to do at the front desk answering phones, to smile when talking as it does indeed change the sound of one's voice. :D

_________________
Everyone changes the world, that's what makes it a world. -- Daryl Wor
My Multi-Fandom Audio Fiction; a humour/mystery serial /|\';;'/|\
Personal Productions Blog


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: April 25th, 2016, 3:59 pm 

Joined: September 8th, 2012, 10:54 am
Posts: 4519
Location: my room
...you have a notebook (or two) full of pl notes and reminderes regarding LibriVox projects.

_________________
~Tiffany


help read a good old fashioned romance by the author of 'The Wide, Wide World' Say and Seal
or an interesting biography T. DeWitt Talmage As I Knew Him


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: May 2nd, 2016, 10:50 am 

Joined: April 14th, 2010, 2:22 pm
Posts: 718
Location: California
fiddlesticks wrote:
...you have a notebook (or two) full of pl notes and reminderes regarding LibriVox projects.


Or TWO? Yeah, that's addicted, or just adoring. :9:

_________________
Everyone changes the world, that's what makes it a world. -- Daryl Wor
My Multi-Fandom Audio Fiction; a humour/mystery serial /|\';;'/|\
Personal Productions Blog


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: August 10th, 2016, 2:37 pm 

Joined: March 26th, 2009, 6:48 am
Posts: 244
Location: "Dwelling in Beula Land"
You know you're addicted to Librivox when...

You call a medical center to set up an appointment, receive a non-automated, human-initiated voice mail message, and think, "Why, her voice sounds like [insert name of favorite LV reader]!"

_________________
Bethesda Lily

"My soul waits for the Lord as watchmen for the morning, as watchmen for the morning" (Psalm 130:6).


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: October 21st, 2016, 1:22 pm 

Joined: July 5th, 2014, 1:57 pm
Posts: 3537
Location: Arrethtrae
You find yourself wishing, without any ill-intentions or malice, that someone could have died just a few years earlier...

_________________
Adele
New!! Unto Caesar
Corporal Cameron
Dusty Diamonds
Dash for Khartoum

Spanish Brothers DR


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: October 21st, 2016, 1:29 pm 

Joined: March 26th, 2009, 6:48 am
Posts: 244
Location: "Dwelling in Beula Land"
AdeledePignerolles wrote:
You find yourself wishing, without any ill-intentions or malice, that someone could have died just a few years earlier...


To whit, Oswald Chambers and Smith Wigglesworth! And, while we're on the subject, Mrs. Charles E. Cowman. Yes, I definitely have a list of those I wish had died just a bit sooner... I've looked, but I don't think their works are PD.

_________________
Bethesda Lily

"My soul waits for the Lord as watchmen for the morning, as watchmen for the morning" (Psalm 130:6).


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: October 30th, 2016, 9:15 am 

Joined: November 5th, 2010, 12:37 pm
Posts: 7356
Location: Florida, USA
...when you come back from a trip with 8 hours of PLing to get caught up on, to then get caught up, and immediately look around for something else to PL. :shock: :help:

_________________
My DPL list


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: November 1st, 2016, 9:21 pm 

Joined: February 10th, 2016, 10:02 am
Posts: 585
Well, I dabble in freelance work online (transcribing, etc.), but during the past week my email box was filled with "Failed/Rejected" notices about various files I'd submitted. It was really frustrating as I'd worked hard on a lot of these things!

So it really soothed my wounded spirit to come back to Librivox, where I never get failed or rejected! It's a way better addiction than anything else I've tried! 8-)


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: November 2nd, 2016, 4:39 am 

Joined: April 1st, 2011, 5:36 pm
Posts: 6302
Location: Kelsingra
I was having lunch on my own and there was a couple at a table next to me - as soon as I heard the man speak, all I could think was "I want to recruit him to LV!" He had a lovely deep, resonant voice. I desperately wanted to ask him if he was in radio! (Of course I didn't do either of these things - that would be weird! ;) )

_________________
Coming Soon! The Story of the Amulet DR
Books: Child of the Moat European Fairy Tales Christ's Parables Holy Spirit
Plays: Parson's Wedding The Mikado
FULL: Jo's Boys Little Men W&D Teacup Club Martyr 2nd Mrs Tanqueray


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: November 2nd, 2016, 9:25 am 

Joined: January 17th, 2013, 9:16 pm
Posts: 2100
Location: Rochester, NY
stoogeswoman wrote:
Well, I dabble in freelance work online (transcribing, etc.), but during the past week my email box was filled with "Failed/Rejected" notices about various files I'd submitted. It was really frustrating as I'd worked hard on a lot of these things!

So it really soothed my wounded spirit to come back to Librivox, where I never get failed or rejected! It's a way better addiction than anything else I've tried! 8-)
Yes! At LV, I never get "failed" or "rejected" - just friendly helpful notes to help me succeed!

_________________
Maria
My LibriVox Recordings

Thanks to everyone for your patience with my erratic presence here these past few months. I'm back again and ready to start recording!


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: November 2nd, 2016, 10:18 am 

Joined: February 24th, 2013, 7:14 am
Posts: 1681
Location: New Hampshire, USA
commonsparrow3 wrote:
stoogeswoman wrote:
Well, I dabble in freelance work online (transcribing, etc.), but during the past week my email box was filled with "Failed/Rejected" notices about various files I'd submitted. It was really frustrating as I'd worked hard on a lot of these things!

So it really soothed my wounded spirit to come back to Librivox, where I never get failed or rejected! It's a way better addiction than anything else I've tried! 8-)
Yes! At LV, I never get "failed" or "rejected" - just friendly helpful notes to help me succeed!
I agree with this assessment with only one disclaimer: I do wish we had "levels" (LVels?) that would afford growth opportunities to those of us who aren't beginners any longer.

Friendliness, good will toward others, gentle nudges, are great and we're lucky to have such wonderful atmosphere in our community. Yet... While praises are pleasant, they don't really provide enough material to stimulate improvement, so I start to feel that it's up to me alone to find what is wrong with how I read/narrate/act in order to show me the ways to polish my craft further. And I do hope that there is no limit for improvement. :wink:

ETA: :shock: Shoot!... Are we allowed to discuss LV in the "off-topic" forum...

_________________
tovarisch
    reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: November 2nd, 2016, 11:25 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

Joined: May 26th, 2010, 8:54 am
Posts: 33583
Location: the Netherlands
You can always ask for extra feedback from proof listeners if you like. The problem is that what a listener likes and dislikes is extremely subjective, so when you change your style to suit one listener another will be disappointed.

_________________
Carolin

Looking for amazing poetry? Check out the poetry of Thomas Hood and Ben King!


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: November 8th, 2016, 1:30 am 

Joined: April 14th, 2010, 2:22 pm
Posts: 718
Location: California
tovarisch wrote:
commonsparrow3 wrote:
stoogeswoman wrote:
Well, I dabble in freelance work online (transcribing, etc.), but during the past week my email box was filled with "Failed/Rejected" notices about various files I'd submitted. It was really frustrating as I'd worked hard on a lot of these things!

So it really soothed my wounded spirit to come back to Librivox, where I never get failed or rejected! It's a way better addiction than anything else I've tried! 8-)
Yes! At LV, I never get "failed" or "rejected" - just friendly helpful notes to help me succeed!
I agree with this assessment with only one disclaimer: I do wish we had "levels" (LVels?) that would afford growth opportunities to those of us who aren't beginners any longer.

Friendliness, good will toward others, gentle nudges, are great and we're lucky to have such wonderful atmosphere in our community. Yet... While praises are pleasant, they don't really provide enough material to stimulate improvement, so I start to feel that it's up to me alone to find what is wrong with how I read/narrate/act in order to show me the ways to polish my craft further. And I do hope that there is no limit for improvement. :wink:

ETA: :shock: Shoot!... Are we allowed to discuss LV in the "off-topic" forum...


I agree. The time I spent away from LV was a time I had to re-discover that old chestnut about "opinions" vs..... You know, "Everybody's got one..."

In the realm of online writers, few of whom make money and most of whom rely on cheap statistics, it is often a concentration on competition, which I detest. Shared enjoyment and pointers to what was enjoyed is key. Plus we seem to be very aware here that we are our own harshest critic, so there is little reason to "critique" a volunteer who is wanting to do their best to make the grade.

_________________
Everyone changes the world, that's what makes it a world. -- Daryl Wor
My Multi-Fandom Audio Fiction; a humour/mystery serial /|\';;'/|\
Personal Productions Blog


Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 455 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group