You know you're addicted to LV when... (slight return)

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

GettingTooOld wrote: November 4th, 2021, 12:33 am
I only get one measly turn on the acronym game, so sometimes I make up extra solutions and hope that nobody really minds.
But the point is that your responses are so creative and pithy that I don't think any of us mind at all!!🙇‍♂️
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
GettingTooOld

Post by GettingTooOld »

Kalamareader wrote: November 4th, 2021, 4:24 pm
GettingTooOld wrote: November 4th, 2021, 12:33 am
I only get one measly turn on the acronym game, so sometimes I make up extra solutions and hope that nobody really minds.
But the point is that your responses are so creative and pithy that I don't think any of us mind at all!!🙇‍♂️
oh do go on, please do, it's not like I'm addicted to LV, but do go on. :D It's co-incidental that I can't get enough, I could stop if I really want, but do go on.. :D
czandra

Post by czandra »

Bookworm360 wrote: November 3rd, 2021, 8:42 am ...When you wake up in the middle of the night and think, "Oh for the love of Pete, I have not done LV in so long" :oops:
or you wake up with snatches from your dream - wait, was that in the text I read today? Damn! I should've read contra' sted, not con' trasted!

Cz
I asked my librarian about the noise, and she said, "no one would come here
if they weren't allowed to talk out loud." So I read out loud.

Je lis à haute voix car refléchir fait trop de bruit!
maxgal

Post by maxgal »

...when you spend A LOT of time looking up pronunciations of various words (& names) in a piece you are preparing to record, because there lurks in the back (and sometimes the front) of your mind the conviction that "someone" out there in your vast ocean of listeners will surely detect even the least of such errors.

...and when you are absolutely aghast at the thought of NOT preparing to record before you record -- including marking up the text not only for pronunciations, but also for pauses, inflections, emphases, etc etc etc....

(Any other text-marker-uppers out there?)
Louise
"every little breeze..."

Fun Fact: 40% of all statistics are wrong.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Hah, not me! I rarely even pre-read what I'm about to record! :lol: I'm a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pantser. If I get the inflection or pronunciation wrong the first time, I can always fix it on the second (or third or fourth) take, and nobody has to know I ever messed up!

(I'm not suggesting that everyone should do this, of course. I have no doubt that mine is not the superior method!)
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

I am kind of in between. If I have a small part, I usually don't pre-read, but if is one of the major parts and have lines in many/all of the Acts or Chapters, I usually do just to get the idea of how to read it. I am also one of those who keeps a tab open on my computer to Google Translate to help me with pronunciations.

I just read right off of the computer screen, scrolling down the page as I read. Usually, I can catch most of the inflection and pauses, etc. as I go along, but sometimes, of course, I am thrown a curve and have to do it again.

But as with all, this is just my way, and your mileage may very.
Wayne
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

mightyfelix wrote: January 15th, 2022, 9:38 pm Hah, not me! I rarely even pre-read what I'm about to record! :lol: I'm a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pantser. If I get the inflection or pronunciation wrong the first time, I can always fix it on the second (or third or fourth) take, and nobody has to know I ever messed up!

(I'm not suggesting that everyone should do this, of course. I have no doubt that mine is not the superior method!)
Given how inconsistent English is, I'm in awe of people who pull that off. Bear in mind, though, that English is not my native language, so obviously my range of vocabulary/knowledge of prounciation is smaller than what can be expected from a native. So yeah, I always pre-read texts in English. I mostly pre-read the Polish texts, too. Which actually slows me down, as I don't always feel like reading the same thing twice.
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
maxgal

Post by maxgal »

Piotrek81 wrote: January 16th, 2022, 5:59 am
mightyfelix wrote: January 15th, 2022, 9:38 pm Hah, not me! I rarely even pre-read what I'm about to record! :lol: I'm a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pantser. If I get the inflection or pronunciation wrong the first time, I can always fix it on the second (or third or fourth) take, and nobody has to know I ever messed up!

Given how inconsistent English is, I'm in awe of people who pull that off. Bear in mind, though, that English is not my native language, so obviously my range of vocabulary/knowledge of prounciation is smaller than what can be expected from a native. So yeah, I always pre-read texts in English. I mostly pre-read the Polish texts, too. Which actually slows me down, as I don't always feel like reading the same thing twice.
...Well, English IS my native languange, but I'm awe-ful nonetheless...
Louise
"every little breeze..."

Fun Fact: 40% of all statistics are wrong.
yannaaragon

Post by yannaaragon »

... as soon as you submit a section's recording for PL, you ask in the same post if you can record another section within the same work--but only if the submitted recording is okay. :) :wink:
Angela "Yanna" Aragon

Reader profile: https://librivox.org/reader/17094
Dulcamara

Post by Dulcamara »

... you wake up and in your dream you were playing one of those word games... :shock:
Jasna

Second to the right and then straight on till morning.
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Dulcamara wrote: February 2nd, 2022, 3:47 am ... you wake up and in your dream you were playing one of those word games... :shock:
...and had come up with an amazing word.......AND CAN'T REMEMBER IT!!!!!!!🤦
Wayne
Dulcamara

Post by Dulcamara »

Kalamareader wrote: February 2nd, 2022, 9:53 am
Dulcamara wrote: February 2nd, 2022, 3:47 am ... you wake up and in your dream you were playing one of those word games... :shock:
...and had come up with an amazing word.......AND CAN'T REMEMBER IT!!!!!!!🤦
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Jasna

Second to the right and then straight on till morning.
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Daughter comes home from work: 6:00pm:
"What did you do today mom?
"Um Librivox, ate breakfast, um Librivox, ate lunch, ummm Librivox"
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

At least you remember to eat in-between :lol:
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Rapunzelina wrote: February 9th, 2022, 4:26 pm At least you remember to eat in-between :lol:
Yes, I have found that LV can be a great diet. Hey, how about using that in part of our "Marketing Scheme"! :lol: :lol:
Wayne