You know you're addicted to LV when... (slight return)

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
catrose

Post by catrose »

I may also keep a mental note on who pronounces Librivox how and who stresses which words :oops: I then copy some of my favourite narrator's versions of the disclaimer so I never stress the same word twice! (I particularly enjoy reading the disclaimer in the style of Cori Samuels, who stresses "this" and "all" and makes it sound particularly pretty)

Gosh, I have way too much time on my hands... :roll:
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
Cori

Post by Cori »

You probably know this hint already, Cat. But I smile broadly when I say 'or to volunteer'. Warms up the tone nicely. :D
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
Morlock

Post by Morlock »

Cori wrote:You probably know this hint already, Cat. But I smile broadly when I say 'or to volunteer'. Warms up the tone nicely. :D
Aye, that's something my old boss would instruct my co-workers to do at the front desk answering phones, to smile when talking as it does indeed change the sound of one's voice. :D
fiddlesticks

Post by fiddlesticks »

...you have a notebook (or two) full of pl notes and reminderes regarding LibriVox projects.
~Tiffany
Morlock

Post by Morlock »

fiddlesticks wrote:...you have a notebook (or two) full of pl notes and reminderes regarding LibriVox projects.
Or TWO? Yeah, that's addicted, or just adoring. :9:
bethesdalily

Post by bethesdalily »

You know you're addicted to Librivox when...

You call a medical center to set up an appointment, receive a non-automated, human-initiated voice mail message, and think, "Why, her voice sounds like [insert name of favorite LV reader]!"
Bethesda Lily

"My soul waits for the Lord as watchmen for the morning, as watchmen for the morning" (Psalm 130:6).
AdeledePignerolles

Post by AdeledePignerolles »

You find yourself wishing, without any ill-intentions or malice, that someone could have died just a few years earlier...
Adele

Post by bethesdalily »

AdeledePignerolles wrote:You find yourself wishing, without any ill-intentions or malice, that someone could have died just a few years earlier...
To whit, Oswald Chambers and Smith Wigglesworth! And, while we're on the subject, Mrs. Charles E. Cowman. Yes, I definitely have a list of those I wish had died just a bit sooner... I've looked, but I don't think their works are PD.
Bethesda Lily

"My soul waits for the Lord as watchmen for the morning, as watchmen for the morning" (Psalm 130:6).
linny

Post by linny »

...when you come back from a trip with 8 hours of PLing to get caught up on, to then get caught up, and immediately look around for something else to PL. :shock: :help:
stoogeswoman

Post by stoogeswoman »

Well, I dabble in freelance work online (transcribing, etc.), but during the past week my email box was filled with "Failed/Rejected" notices about various files I'd submitted. It was really frustrating as I'd worked hard on a lot of these things!

So it really soothed my wounded spirit to come back to Librivox, where I never get failed or rejected! It's a way better addiction than anything else I've tried! 8-)
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

I was having lunch on my own and there was a couple at a table next to me - as soon as I heard the man speak, all I could think was "I want to recruit him to LV!" He had a lovely deep, resonant voice. I desperately wanted to ask him if he was in radio! (Of course I didn't do either of these things - that would be weird! ;) )
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

stoogeswoman wrote:Well, I dabble in freelance work online (transcribing, etc.), but during the past week my email box was filled with "Failed/Rejected" notices about various files I'd submitted. It was really frustrating as I'd worked hard on a lot of these things!

So it really soothed my wounded spirit to come back to Librivox, where I never get failed or rejected! It's a way better addiction than anything else I've tried! 8-)
Yes! At LV, I never get "failed" or "rejected" - just friendly helpful notes to help me succeed!
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

commonsparrow3 wrote:
stoogeswoman wrote:Well, I dabble in freelance work online (transcribing, etc.), but during the past week my email box was filled with "Failed/Rejected" notices about various files I'd submitted. It was really frustrating as I'd worked hard on a lot of these things!

Yes! At LV, I never get "failed" or "rejected" - just friendly helpful notes to help me succeed!
I agree with this assessment with only one disclaimer: I do wish we had "levels" (LVels?) that would afford growth opportunities to those of us who aren't beginners any longer.

Friendliness, good will toward others, gentle nudges, are great and we're lucky to have such wonderful atmosphere in our community. Yet... While praises are pleasant, they don't really provide enough material to stimulate improvement, so I start to feel that it's up to me alone to find what is wrong with how I read/narrate/act in order to show me the ways to polish my craft further. And I do hope that there is no limit for improvement. :wink:

ETA: :shock: Shoot!... Are we allowed to discuss LV in the "off-topic" forum...
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

You can always ask for extra feedback from proof listeners if you like. The problem is that what a listener likes and dislikes is extremely subjective, so when you change your style to suit one listener another will be disappointed.
Carolin
Morlock

Post by Morlock »

tovarisch wrote:
commonsparrow3 wrote:

I agree with this assessment with only one disclaimer: I do wish we had "levels" (LVels?) that would afford growth opportunities to those of us who aren't beginners any longer.

Friendliness, good will toward others, gentle nudges, are great and we're lucky to have such wonderful atmosphere in our community. Yet... While praises are pleasant, they don't really provide enough material to stimulate improvement, so I start to feel that it's up to me alone to find what is wrong with how I read/narrate/act in order to show me the ways to polish my craft further. And I do hope that there is no limit for improvement. :wink:

ETA: :shock: Shoot!... Are we allowed to discuss LV in the "off-topic" forum...
I agree. The time I spent away from LV was a time I had to re-discover that old chestnut about "opinions" vs..... You know, "Everybody's got one..."

In the realm of online writers, few of whom make money and most of whom rely on cheap statistics, it is often a concentration on competition, which I detest. Shared enjoyment and pointers to what was enjoyed is key. Plus we seem to be very aware here that we are our own harshest critic, so there is little reason to "critique" a volunteer who is wanting to do their best to make the grade.