You know you're addicted to LV when... (slight return)

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

You've been looking forward to Saturday night all week, because you know you'll be getting off early and you'll have lots of time to record... And then you get home Saturday night, and your downstairs neighbor is playing his loud music with his bass turned up as high as it can go. :evil: :? :evil:
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Two hours, and he's still at it. IT'S AFTER MIDNIGHT!!!! GO TO SLEEP!!!!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

YKYATLVW:

Your computer's laptop speakers go on the fritz, causing much consternation.

I am reduced to using either ear buds (which get uncomfortable) or the external speakers in the kitchen. For PL'ing, either of these are fine for a while. But I don't want to have to edit sitting on our kitchen chairs or via ear buds. :(

OK, so this is a stretch for this thread, but I had to complain somewhere that I don't want to edit on anything but my laptop's speakers, causing me to not want to record at all. :roll:

I'm HOPING Hubby can find the problem by opening up the computer and carefully soldering something back together, but I'm not very optimistic. Time for a new computer??
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
pjcsaville

Post by pjcsaville »

You know you're addicted to librivox when you check the status of your submissions in all your projects MW every hour or two hoping they say "PL OK" and not "See PL notes" lol
DivMS

Post by DivMS »

You know you're addicted to librivox when you see audio clips in an audacity window during meditation 8-)
Divya
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

What's this? Is no one addicted to LV anymore :lol:

Anyway, you know you're addicted when you wake up on Saturday before 6 AM and, instead of trying to fall asleep again you decide to record a new section for your solo.
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

The problem with recording before 6 AM is that if you have to make any corrections, they also have to be done before 6 AM in order to get the same pre-coffee "morning voice". And given it being pre-coffee, there will be corrections necessary! So you end up with a negatively reinforcing behavior pattern.

Leastwise this is how it works for me.

(So I edit instead! Oh, wait, that is still pre-dawn Librivox, isn't it? Maybe I am addicted too....)

Thanks, Todd
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

Oh wow that sounds like me. And Todd, I find myself in the mornings deleting all the repeats I've made in recordings :lol:.

But for me I intentionally set my alarm a half hour earlier than normal so that I can check on all my projects here :shock:. And then I spend around 6 to 9 hours a day recording and prooflistening to projects. I really am addicted :lol:.
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Campbell, I could only dream of having 6 to 9 hours a day to spend at LV. Oh, how productive I would be....

You know you're addicted to LibriVox when, while planning for a trip to one of the most beautiful parts of the country (Colorado Springs), where you'll see family members you haven't seen for four years, you're only worried about how far you'll have fallen behind on all of your LV projects when you come back.
lymiewithpurpose

mightyfelix wrote: March 23rd, 2019, 7:36 am Campbell, I could only dream of having 6 to 9 hours a day to spend at LV. Oh, how productive I would be....

You know you're addicted to LibriVox when, while planning for a trip to one of the most beautiful parts of the country (Colorado Springs), where you'll see family members you haven't seen for four years, you're only worried about how far you'll have fallen behind on all of your LV projects when you come back.
Yeah for the second one. I’m the opposite I wish I didn’t have that much time to do it, I just can’t do very much so this is my only option. Not complaining though, I enjoy it thoroughly! One of my favorite things.

As for the second thing, same here. My moms always getting mad at me for shoveling my dinner so that I can get to all the PLing I have to do.
Campbell
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

lymiewithpurpose wrote: March 23rd, 2019, 6:31 am And then I spend around 6 to 9 hours a day recording and prooflistening to projects.
WHAT?! :shock: I wish I had that much time to do LibriVox! Wow, how many sections would I get out?? Probably like 30 a day, plus PLing!

Devorah,
I know- me too! I'll be away for a week in the middle of April and I'll have to leave a DR behind...oh, man, I'll have SO much PLing to do when I get back! :shock: :lol:
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

JayKitty76 wrote: March 23rd, 2019, 2:48 pm WHAT?! :shock: I wish I had that much time to do LibriVox! Wow, how many sections would I get out?? Probably like 30 a day, plus PLing!
Nah - your voice would give out before that. Trust me. :twisted:
I know- me too! I'll be away for a week in the middle of April and I'll have to leave a DR behind...oh, man, I'll have SO much PLing to do when I get back! :shock: :lol:
In that case, I'd suggest not launching your projected DR until after you get back - unless Elijah is going to handle the onslaught in the first couple weeks of the project.

I know - hard to think about, when you're addicted. ;)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
lymiewithpurpose

JayKitty76 wrote: March 23rd, 2019, 2:48 pm WHAT?! I wish I had that much time to do LibriVox! Wow, how many sections would I get out?? Probably like 30 a day, plus PLing!
Ha ha ha, I only get out 20 a week according to my calculations :lol:. But yes, that's the only way I can manage all the stuff that I do. But I think I may need to stop taking on PLing, I've had about 4 hours a day of PLing these past few days :shock:. Talk about going away for a week, I don't think I'd manage :lol:

Anyways, Devorah and Rachel, have fun on your trips, and try not to stress too much if that's at all possible :D
Campbell
ej400

Post by ej400 »

ToddHW wrote: March 23rd, 2019, 5:13 am The problem with recording before 6 AM is that if you have to make any corrections, they also have to be done before 6 AM in order to get the same pre-coffee "morning voice". And given it being pre-coffee, there will be corrections necessary! So you end up with a negatively reinforcing behavior pattern.

Leastwise this is how it works for me.

(So I edit instead! Oh, wait, that is still pre-dawn Librivox, isn't it? Maybe I am addicted too....)

Thanks, Todd
I usually record from 6 AM to 8 AM without coffee :shock: That way nobody else is up, so the whole house is nice and quiet and asleep. I dunno, I'd think it would be late at night when more corrections would happen, right, since you'd be tired? Unless librivox is full of night-owls... I'm not, so I don't know :hmm:
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

ej400 wrote: March 23rd, 2019, 6:52 pm I usually record from 6 AM to 8 AM without coffee :shock: That way nobody else is up, so the whole house is nice and quiet and asleep. I dunno, I'd think it would be late at night when more corrections would happen, right, since you'd be tired? Unless librivox is full of night-owls... I'm not, so I don't know :hmm:
I do my best recordings between 12 and 3 am. Provided I haven't been using my voice too much during the day. But yes, I am a night owl.