Anyone ever tried the Raw Food Diet?

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
jedopi

Post by jedopi »

Has anyone here ever tried the raw food diet - you know the one where all you eat is raw fruits, veggies, seeds and nuts? I started this today (but I'm only doing it for one week as a trial) and I just can't get enough to eat. Normally I barely eat anything (Even though you'd never know if by looking at me), but I guess it depends on what types of food it is. For me starch = weight gain. It figures, my favourite foods are all made from grains. :roll: You can check my progress for the week here at http://www.RawFoodsForaWeek.blogspot.com
Lucy_k_p

Post by Lucy_k_p »

Fad diets are generally a load of rubbish. Even if you loose weight, you damage your health.

The best thing to do is make sure you eat a variety of stuff, plenty of fruit and veg, cut down on chocolate/cake and make sure you get regular exercise.

Generally if you're planning to diet speak to you GP for some advice on what's healthy.

Also a Dietician is a trained expert in this area. A nutritionist is anyone who wants to call themselves a nutritionist. (Seriously, I could call myself a nutritionist and it would not be incorrect or in any way illegal.) So if you're getting advice from 'professionals' take a check on what they are calling themselves.
So little space, so much to say.
jedopi

Post by jedopi »

How could anyone possibly damage their health by eating fruits and vegetables? I don't eat chocolate cake or basically any type of junk food. I do get plenty of exercise when my illness permits it (I have fibromyalgia and arthritis). I have spoken to my doctor and I saw a nutritionist many years ago. When I followed her advice I gained 5 lbs in one week! :shock:
wildemoose

Post by wildemoose »

I think it's possible to damage your health by eating only fruits and vegetables, because your body needs fat and protein to live. Is cheese allowed on the raw food diet? What about raw fish as in sushi? I know raw foodists are big on nuts, which provide needed fat, but I'm wondering how you manage to get enough protein.
jedopi

Post by jedopi »

A lot of raw foodists as they call themselves (As I said I am only doing this for one week as a trial) are vegan so no they would not eat cheese or fish. They eat seeds like sunflower, pumpkin, flax and sesame which all have protein. Peanuts also have protein I believe and probably other nuts as well.

Spirulina which is an edible algae is 60 - 70 % protein and has all eight amino acids so it is considered a complete protein all on its own. Another way to get protein on the raw food diet is with sprouted beans and seeds. Lentils, black beans, mung beans are all easy to sprout.

Some raw foodists and vegetarians also use nutritional yeast which tastes like cheese (so they say) and is also full of protein. Avocado, and green leafy vegetables also contain plenty of protein.

Meat is NOT the only place to get protein. I once heard that the protein that people get from eating meat is through the animals diet of eating plants. In other words people get the protein from the cow who got it from the grass. True? I don't know.
catchpenny

Post by catchpenny »

jedopi wrote:Some raw foodists and vegetarians also use nutritional yeast which tastes like cheese (so they say) and is also full of protein.
It most certainly does not, and I am indignant anyone would create such a foul myth on such a poor, meek, and unsuspecting food as cheese. Cheese has a wholesome goodness about the taste. Brewers Yeast tastes like... yeast.

(Ahem) Maybe I should stop reading Shakespeare. So, yeah, Brewer's Yeast is for brewing beer. It taste like yeast, and no offense to any vegans, Cheese'ud win a taste contest hands down.
Anyone can read accurately. [i]I[/i] read with great expression.
Hazel Pethig

Post by Hazel Pethig »

Instead of a raw food diet, you should think about the 100 mile diet. It is a diet where you limit your intake to food produced within 100 miles (160 kilometers) of your home. Here is the website of the book's authors http://100milediet.org/ They also did a TV show for foodtv using Mission BC as the centre. The website has a 100 mile finder. Type in your hometown and it shows you your boundaries. As Lucy said, the best diet is to eat less and exercise more!

edit: On your blog you said you drank apple juice. Was it raw and unprocessed or was it a grocery store type that has been pasteurized (read processed) and thus not a raw food?

--Hazel
[size=150][i][color=cyan]Eat.[/color] [color=blue]Sleep.[/color] [color=darkblue]Read.[/color] [color=indigo]Repeat.[/color][/i][/size]
jedopi

Post by jedopi »

The apple juice that I drank was made from 3 apples (no skin), 1 orange (obviously no peel), a splash of lemon juice and some water all blended up in my blender. It was not commercial apple juice at all. I made it fresh and then drank it. :D http://rawfoodsforaweek.blogspot.com/2010/06/day-one-drink.html

I have heard of the 100-mile diet and I actual watched a program on tv about it but I don't remember what it was called. My husband actually does all the grocery shopping for our family (I don't drive) so I just use whatever he brings home to me.
Nicholas19

Post by Nicholas19 »

Hi,

I'm a vegetarian myself and have been for quite a few years, but I have never tried any specific diets, as I have always been quite thin. As for animal products, I eat honey, cheese (without animal rennet) and eggs (usually free range) and milk. I do also have sweetened soy milk as well, usually with cereal. I eat regular meals, and do have starch products, pasta, chocolate, pizza and chips, but have managed to remain thin.

It is important to have a balanced diet and also to eat in moderation. There's a big difference between having a few pieces of chocolate and having whole bars of chocolate. Likewise, eating some fries and chips won't make you fat if you eat them in moderation. Moderation, eating a balanced diet and exercise are the keys to losing weight, in my opinion.

Cutting out whole categories of food, like starch, may help you lose weight, but I don't think we should give up entirely on the benefits of thousands of years of agriculture. There are many people who eat rice, ugali (an East African thing), pasta, bread and other starch products who don't get fat. It all depends on moderation.

That said, vegetables and fruit are very healthy and you should eat a lot of them, in my opinion. I enjoy fresh salads with olive oil, balsamic vinegar and herbs. Cooked vegetables are good as well, though. Even though fried chips/fries can be quite unhealthy (if you eat a lot of them), a baked potato is quite filling, especially if you have a nice filling such as baked beans, cottage cheese or grated cheddar cheese. While one might be inclined to eat a lot of fries, one large baked potato should fill you up quite well.
Nicholas J. Bridgewater

"The earth is but one country and mankind its citizens."
- Baha'u'llah
See: http://bahai.org/

Some Answered Questions.
The Promulgation of Universal Peace, Vol. I.
An Elementary Greek Grammar.
jedopi

Post by jedopi »

As I have said before I am NOT a raw foodist, I am just trying this for one week, that's all. I don't have anything against cooked veggies, in fact I love them. And for some people starch IS a real problem.
Nicholas19

Post by Nicholas19 »

jedopi wrote:As I have said before I am NOT a raw foodist, I am just trying this for one week, that's all. I don't have anything against cooked veggies, in fact I love them. And for some people starch IS a real problem.
:shock:

I don't think I said you were.

And I'm not saying you have to eat starch. I'm saying lots of foods are ok in moderation.
Nicholas J. Bridgewater

"The earth is but one country and mankind its citizens."
- Baha'u'llah
See: http://bahai.org/

Some Answered Questions.
The Promulgation of Universal Peace, Vol. I.
An Elementary Greek Grammar.
jedopi

Post by jedopi »

I am definitiely not going to
give up entirely on the benefits of thousands of years of agriculture.
Are you kidding? Bread is my favourite food and food group! :) I'm only giving it up for one week and even though it's only been two days since I've started this (today is the third) I'm almost ready to throw in the towel.

I've tried many diets where you proportion out all the different food groups and unfortunately (for me) I've either gained weight or not lost a single pound. :(

For me there can be no fries/chips or baked potatoes with all those yummy goodies on top, or pasta or pizza without having to worry about my pants not fitting the next day.
Chrisczech

Post by Chrisczech »

I can understand a vegetarian diet (although I subscribe to the view that if we are meant to be vegetarian why are animals made of meat?) but not having to eat everything raw. Some pulses, for example, are inedible/poisonous when eaten raw, but are great when properly cooked.
I like raw carrot and salads and grow some salad vegetables in the garden, but a great vegetable soup can be made without cooking out all the goodness or adding too much to the basic ingredients.

I don't think there is any substitute for a well-balanced diet, controlling calorie intake, and portion control - I just wish I could follow such a regime! :roll:
[url=http://librivox.org/idle_thoughts_of_an_idle_fellow_by_jerome_k_jerome/]Idle Thoughts Of An Idle Fellow[/url] / [url=http://librivox.org/the-triumphs-of-eugene-valmont-by-robert-barr]The Triumphs Of Eugene Valmont[/url]
jedopi

Post by jedopi »

catchpenny wrote:
jedopi wrote:Some raw foodists and vegetarians also use nutritional yeast which tastes like cheese (so they say) and is also full of protein.
It most certainly does not, and I am indignant anyone would create such a foul myth on such a poor, meek, and unsuspecting food as cheese. Cheese has a wholesome goodness about the taste. Brewers Yeast tastes like... yeast.

(Ahem) Maybe I should stop reading Shakespeare. So, yeah, Brewer's Yeast is for brewing beer. It taste like yeast, and no offense to any vegans, Cheese'ud win a taste contest hands down.
Actually I said Nutritional Yeast NOT Brewer's Yeast. Apparently they are not the same thing at all. I have never tried nutritional yeast, I'm just saying what I have heard and read. And believe me I love cheese too!
jedopi

Post by jedopi »

Chrisczech wrote:I can understand a vegetarian diet (although I subscribe to the view that if we are meant to be vegetarian why are animals made of meat?) but not having to eat everything raw. Some pulses, for example, are inedible/poisonous when eaten raw, but are great when properly cooked.
I like raw carrot and salads and grow some salad vegetables in the garden, but a great vegetable soup can be made without cooking out all the goodness or adding too much to the basic ingredients.

I don't think there is any substitute for a well-balanced diet, controlling calorie intake, and portion control - I just wish I could follow such a regime! :roll:
I hope that you were making a joke here because even though I am no longer a vegetarian I still take (a little bit of )offense at this. After all humans are also "made of meat" so does that mean that we should kill the guy next door and eat him? I don't think so! :lol: