Balderdash - Phase II! Have Fun!

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
LibriFoxy

Post by LibriFoxy » March 12th, 2010, 3:37 pm

Players:

1. LibriFoxy
2. Hazel Pethig yer up! :)
3. Chelsea
4. Peter Why
5. Julila
6. Anriasia
7. Tom Barron
8. Aldark
Rosie in Boston

Coffee Break Collection 12 is up and looking for readers! Theme: The Performing Arts!

Julila

Post by Julila » March 12th, 2010, 4:10 pm

Heh, yay for remembering a smattering of Latin from school :)
Constructive criticism is greatly appreciated!

Mr. Wooster, how would you support a wife? Well, I suppose it depends on whose wife it was, a little gentle pressure beneath the elbow while crossing a busy street usually fits the bill. (P.G. Wodehouse)

Hazel Pethig

Post by Hazel Pethig » March 12th, 2010, 6:06 pm

Sorry, I wasn't paying attention to who's turn it was.

My word is..

HOFLES

pm me your guess!

--Hazel
[size=150][i][color=cyan]Eat.[/color] [color=blue]Sleep.[/color] [color=darkblue]Read.[/color] [color=indigo]Repeat.[/color][/i][/size]

Peter Why

Post by Peter Why » March 17th, 2010, 12:46 am

I had thought that my guess at the meaning of recumbentibus might be correct ... and tbarron came up with a similar meaning.

When there are two similar definitions in the list, I think it makes it less likely that either of them will be correct.

Should we allow whoever's setting the word to ask for a new definition from anyone supplying a near duplicate of a definition that's already been received?

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger

tbarron

Post by tbarron » March 17th, 2010, 4:46 am

I think that's just part of the challenge of the game -- to think up a potential meaning that no one else does. I would vote to not ask for second definitions. (I really like the quote in your sig, Peter :))
Tom

[url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=4948]LV readings I've done[/url]

LibriFoxy

Post by LibriFoxy » March 17th, 2010, 5:48 am

You bring up a good point, Peter, which relates to one "technique" of the game that I've discovered over the years.

A common technique for the word-chooser is to find something that looks like it has a common root word in it, but means something else. This "tricks" people into both making up definitions and guessing with an entirely other idea in mind, and not thinking to guess the real one.

That's what I did with the last word, and it's true that a lot of people knew what "recumbent" means (sp? :)). The real def is sort of related, since you make someone flat by punching them, haha.

There have been a few situations where i was SURE I knew the right definition, and guessed it just to be wrong. If two people submit a similar one, there's still a good chance one of them is the dictionary definition.

Also, if someone DOES submit a definition that's actually correct, the word-chooser will immediately choose a new word, so everyone will know.

So I second the vote to keep things as they are, since it adds a little bit of "what's really going on here?" to the game. I have terrible balance, so any time I'm kept on my toes is good for me. :) thanks for bringing up the point!
Rosie in Boston

Coffee Break Collection 12 is up and looking for readers! Theme: The Performing Arts!

Peter Why

Post by Peter Why » March 17th, 2010, 6:36 am

Okay; I concede.

Tom, the quote is from Don Marquis, the "Archy and Mehitabel" poems. Thanks for reminding me; I meant to shift to new Archy quotes every so often.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger

Hazel Pethig

Post by Hazel Pethig » March 17th, 2010, 9:26 am

I have 5 definitions. Please send in more. Regardless, I'll post them tomorrow.

--Hazel
[size=150][i][color=cyan]Eat.[/color] [color=blue]Sleep.[/color] [color=darkblue]Read.[/color] [color=indigo]Repeat.[/color][/i][/size]

LibriFoxy

Post by LibriFoxy » March 18th, 2010, 9:49 am

Hazel Pethig wrote:I have 5 definitions. Please send in more. Regardless, I'll post them tomorrow.

--Hazel
If you PM them, they may get an e-mail and might be more likely to send in their stuff :)
Rosie in Boston

Anriasia

Post by Anriasia » March 18th, 2010, 6:30 pm

... I'm so sorry... I'm a total newb and it told me I wasn't alowed to send Pm's until I was approved. Is it okay if I sit out until I'm able to? T-T Again, Im so sorry... I would have done that along time ago, but my noteboook refused to turn on and I just now regained computer access... o.o'

Hazel Pethig

Post by Hazel Pethig » March 19th, 2010, 9:30 pm

OK, pm me with your guesses.

1. The protective blanket or padding placed under a saddle.
2. unreasonable or excessive.
3. In a dog-drawn dog cart, the harness that attaches the dog to the cart shafts.
4. small but stately gardens'.
5. A Westphalian pastry made from layers of pumpernickel bread dough, heavy cream, honey, and chocolate.
6. A slang term for fallen timber.

--Hazel

Hazel Pethig

Post by Hazel Pethig » March 21st, 2010, 6:45 pm

OK the votes are in and here we go..

HOFLES:
1. The protective blanket or padding placed under a saddle. (Librifoxy)
2. unreasonable excessive. Real answer
3. In a dog-drawn dog cart, the harness that attaches the dog to the cart shafts. (Peter Why) guesssed by tbarron, Chelsea
4. small but stately gardens'. (Julila)
5. A Westphalian pastry made from layers of pumpernickel bread dough, heavy cream, honey, and chocolate. (tbarron) guessed by Julila
6. A slang term for fallen timber. (Chelsea) guesses by Librifoxy, Peter Why

and the total points are as follows (I hope!) Please correct me if I'm wrong.

1. LibriFoxy
2. Hazel Pethig-3
3. Chelsea-2
4. Peter Why-2
5. Julila-4
6. Anriasia
7. Tom Barron-2
8. Aldark

That means it's your turn Chelsea

--Hazel

LibriFoxy

Post by LibriFoxy » March 21st, 2010, 6:50 pm

Cool...interesting word! I couldn't find anything about it on Google...where'd you find it? :)
Rosie in Boston

Hazel Pethig

Post by Hazel Pethig » March 22nd, 2010, 9:05 am

I googled "odd words" and picked the first site that came up, which was...
http://www.brownielocks.com/words.html. And went to the middle. I'd never heard it either, which is why I picked it.

--Hazel

Chelsea

Post by Chelsea » March 23rd, 2010, 1:18 pm

Hi, please skip me this turn - since it's spring break I'm taking a trip to California starting tomorrow and I don't know if I'll see a computer until Sunday. Redwoods or bust! 8-)
[color=blue]Check out Payne Erskine[/color] - [url=http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21721]The Eye of Dread[/url] [color=blue]or[/color] [url=http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23889]The Mountain Girl![/url]