Balderdash - Phase II! Have Fun!

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
LibriFoxy

Post by LibriFoxy »

I'm going to set up a new thread for our next round, just so we have an updated players list and so new players don't feel initimidated by searching through 15 pages. :) Have fun!

To sign up to play, just copy and paste the player list below and once we reach 7 or more, we'll get started!

Instructions:

OBJECT OF THE GAME
1. To invent a phony definition for each word in play that could be mistaken by the other players as the correct definition.
2. To identify and choose the correct definition for each word in play.

PLAYING THE GAME

1) Whoever's turn it is chooses an obscure, unique, or interesting English word and posts it. Good sources are the Grandiloquent Dictionary or any Google search for "unique words"...that sort of thing. Please do not look up the word. It's crucial that no one knows the definition!

IF YOU KNOW THE WORD, please post in the thread immediately and the Turn Person will then choose another word. It's important to do this quickly so that others don't waste time thinking up a definition.

2) Everyone submits a made-up definition for the word by private messaging the person who chose it.

3)After everyone has had a chance to submit defs, the turn person posts the real definition along with the fake ones in a list.

4) Each player private messages their vote to the turn person. You're trying to guess which definition is the correct one for that word.

5) Once all votes are in, we are told the correct one and the turn person posts all the scores for that round!

SCORING RULES
1. One point is given to each player for every vote (or guess) his phony definition receives.
2. Two points are awarded to each player who chooses the true BALDERDASH meaning.
3. Three points are given to the Turn Person only if none of the players choose the true BALDERDASH (R) meaning.

We'll play until the first person reaches 25 (or 50) points! However long we feel like!!

Weee, let's have some fun!

Players:

1. LibriFoxy
Rosie in Boston

Coffee Break Collection 12 is up and looking for readers! Theme: The Performing Arts!
Hazel Pethig

Post by Hazel Pethig »

I'm in!

Players:

1. LibriFoxy
2. Hazel Pethig

--Hazel
[size=150][i][color=cyan]Eat.[/color] [color=blue]Sleep.[/color] [color=darkblue]Read.[/color] [color=indigo]Repeat.[/color][/i][/size]
Chelsea

Post by Chelsea »

Of course me too! :D

Players:

1. LibriFoxy
2. Hazel Pethig
3. Chelsea
[color=blue]Check out Payne Erskine[/color] - [url=http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21721]The Eye of Dread[/url] [color=blue]or[/color] [url=http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23889]The Mountain Girl![/url]
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Me, too .. sorry for the delay, I've been away on holiday for a week.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
Julila

Post by Julila »

I think I'm going to give it a try :)
Constructive criticism is greatly appreciated!

Mr. Wooster, how would you support a wife? Well, I suppose it depends on whose wife it was, a little gentle pressure beneath the elbow while crossing a busy street usually fits the bill. (P.G. Wodehouse)
Hazel Pethig

Post by Hazel Pethig »

Here is the up to date list.

Players:

1. LibriFoxy
2. Hazel Pethig
3. Chelsea
4. Peter Why
5. Julila

Any other players?

--Hazel
[size=150][i][color=cyan]Eat.[/color] [color=blue]Sleep.[/color] [color=darkblue]Read.[/color] [color=indigo]Repeat.[/color][/i][/size]
Anriasia

Post by Anriasia »

I'll play! Sounds like fun.
LibriFoxy

Post by LibriFoxy »

Welcome, everyone! Here we are thus far:

Players:

1. LibriFoxy
2. Hazel Pethig
3. Chelsea
4. Peter Why
5. Julila
6. Anriasia

Shall we begin? Wait for one or two more?
Rosie in Boston

Coffee Break Collection 12 is up and looking for readers! Theme: The Performing Arts!
tbarron

Post by tbarron »

I love this game! If it's okay for me to join, the list will be

Players:

1. LibriFoxy
2. Hazel Pethig
3. Chelsea
4. Peter Why
5. Julila
6. Anriasia
7. Tom Barron
Tom

[url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=4948]LV readings I've done[/url]
LibriFoxy

Post by LibriFoxy »

okay! We have enough to start! :D New players are welcome at any time!

Everyone, please PM me your made-up (but realistic-sounding) definitions for:

recumbentibus

don't look it up!!! :evil:

If anyone knows what that means, post here right away!! :D
Rosie in Boston

LibriFoxy

Post by LibriFoxy »

We have a new player!

Players:

1. LibriFoxy
2. Hazel Pethig
3. Chelsea
4. Peter Why
5. Julila
6. Anriasia
7. Tom Barron
8. Aldark
Rosie in Boston

LibriFoxy

Post by LibriFoxy »

ok, please PM me your guesses for which is the REAL definition of:

recumbentibus

1. A reclining chair
2. A contortionist who performs at a circus or other roadside attraction
3. A public transportation vehicle in which passengers in semi-reclined seats provide the motive force by operating a pedal-based drive system with their feet. See also, pedal-galley.
4. A knockout blow, either physical or verbal
5. Residing in a perpetually prostrate state
6. A public transport vehicle where the customers travel lying down instead of sitting
Rosie in Boston

Aldark

Post by Aldark »

LibriFoxy wrote:We have a new player!

Players:
8. Aldark
Thanks!
LibriFoxy

Post by LibriFoxy »

just waiting on chelsea and peter...I'll send out some PMs :)
Rosie in Boston

LibriFoxy

Post by LibriFoxy »

OK, here we are! We were missing one vote, but I think enough time has passed so I'm going to post:

recumbentibus

[Hazel] 1. A reclining chair

[Chelsea] 2. A contortionist who performs at a circus or other roadside attraction

[tbarron] 3. A public transportation vehicle in which passengers in semi-reclined seats provide the motive force by operating a pedal-based drive system with their feet. See also, pedal-galley. Voted by Hazel

[REAL] 4. A knockout blow, either physical or verbal Guessed by Julila

[julilia] 5. Residing in a perpetually prostrate state Voted by Tom and peter

[peter] 6. A public transport vehicle where the customers travel lying down instead of sitting

Points!

Julilia - 4! Took it away this round! :)
tbarron - 1
Rosie in Boston