When does the next Doctor Who start? IT HAS!

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Hazel Pethig

Post by Hazel Pethig » February 18th, 2010, 1:22 pm

Does any one know when the 5th series of Doctor Who will start? It's been too long, and I'm missing good sci-fi tv.

--Hazel Image
Last edited by Hazel Pethig on April 5th, 2010, 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
[size=150][i][color=cyan]Eat.[/color] [color=blue]Sleep.[/color] [color=darkblue]Read.[/color] [color=indigo]Repeat.[/color][/i][/size]

Lucy_k_p

Post by Lucy_k_p » February 18th, 2010, 2:39 pm

No idea I'm afraid, but it'll probably be a lot later in the year.

I'm not a huge fan of the new one though. Although there are a few awesome episodes - Blink and Silence in the Library.

Tom Baker is my favourite doctor of all time. Do you have a favourite?
So little space, so much to say.

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » February 18th, 2010, 2:51 pm

Must admit I liked the old ones better - the current one seems to spend half each episode running with a strange grimace on his face :D

Anne

Hazel Pethig

Post by Hazel Pethig » February 18th, 2010, 3:56 pm

Must admit I liked the old ones better - the current one seems to spend half each episode running with a strange grimace on his face
It's true, David Tennant looks really weird when he runs.

My favourite episodes of the new series are two which don't have much of the Doctor in them. Blink, the one with the weeping angels, from series 3. And "Love & Monsters", with Elton and the absorbalon, from series 2. Strange that my favourites have only a little of the doctor, but I still love them.

--Hazel
[size=150][i][color=cyan]Eat.[/color] [color=blue]Sleep.[/color] [color=darkblue]Read.[/color] [color=indigo]Repeat.[/color][/i][/size]

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » February 18th, 2010, 4:07 pm

Why not moving on and watching Torchwood - no funny faces there...

And Captain Harkness is soooo sexy! :mrgreen:
Cheers,
Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com

Hazel Pethig

Post by Hazel Pethig » February 18th, 2010, 5:00 pm

Ianto does it for me. Hunk on a stick to go!

--Hazel

Starlite

Post by Starlite » February 18th, 2010, 5:41 pm

Availle wrote:Why not moving on and watching Torchwood - no funny faces there...

And Captain Harkness is soooo sexy! :mrgreen:
Ya but both he and the actor are homosexual. I just can't help thinking that's not sexy to me. lol

I found the sex in Torchwood was a little too much for me. Both gay and lesbian scenes turned me off the series. I stopped watching after the second season.

I really really liked Tennant. He brought the character to life! Not sure what to think about the new actor...

No idea when the new series will start but they usually start in May or so.

Esther :)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » February 18th, 2010, 6:27 pm

Nono, Jack Harkness is an equal opportunity...erm...lover: He loves 'em all: men, women, aliens... And what the actor does in his private bedroom, I'm not interested in.

To get back to Dr. Who: I only know the series from the 9th Doctor on. I found Eccleston good, but a bit stiff. I did enjoy David Tennant much more, he obviously has a lot of fun :D Apparently he wanted to become an actor because he loved Dr. Who so much as a kid. No wonder he's so excited in the role! :D
Cheers,
Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com

icyjumbo

Post by icyjumbo » February 19th, 2010, 1:01 pm

David Tennant was a superb Doctor. Did you see the episode with his partner, Sophia Myles, as Madame de Pompadour in eighteenth century Paris. I think it was called The Girl in the Fireplace. I thought that was an amazingly well acted story, and it must have been well written too, for I found that it packed into one episode a huge amount of emotion. Superb is the only word for it.

Although I always think of Jon Pertwee as the "proper" Doctor. I think everyone prefers their first Doctor. I also liked the multi-episode stories that they had back then, as it allowed much more suspense. I seem to remember there were fewer rabbits from hats than in Russell T Davies' era.

Oh well, what it is to be an old fart....

Lucy_k_p

Post by Lucy_k_p » February 19th, 2010, 1:22 pm

It's only proper Doctor Who if the bad guys are wrapped in bubblewrap and the doctor gets captured by and escapes from the two opposing sides several times over the course of the story.

David Tennant did make a decent doctor though. But some of the plots... Like when a load of humans had been infected with every disease ever so that cures for them could be researched (meaning that the cures were not currently available, otherwise there would be no point in creating the humans.) The doctor fixed them by mixing together all the existing medicines, pouring them over himself, then walking around the humans allowing the cure to 'spread.' Even with my tiny knowledge of biology and chemistry that just sounds like complete rubbish.

Sometimes it's as if they have an interesting idea, start writing, realise they've no way to get out of the hole they've dug and just make up something ridiculous. So the stories start out strong but a lot of the endings are very disappointing.

And I am a Torchwood fan. Some of the episodes are completely stupid, but there are a few gems. And Jack and Ianto certainly helped. (I thought they made such a sweet couple.)
So little space, so much to say.

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » February 19th, 2010, 1:53 pm

icyjumbo wrote:David Tennant was a superb Doctor. Did you see the episode with his partner, Sophia Myles, as Madame de Pompadour in eighteenth century Paris. I think it was called The Girl in the Fireplace. I thought that was an amazingly well acted story, and it must have been well written too, for I found that it packed into one episode a huge amount of emotion. Superb is the only word for it.
Yes, that's definitely one of my favourites too!
Cheers,
Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com

Starlite

Post by Starlite » February 23rd, 2010, 8:06 pm

The new series starts at Easter. :D :9:

Jc

Post by Jc » February 23rd, 2010, 9:12 pm

Yes! Can't wait to see Smith! I'm sad David Tennant left though. He was my doctor. :(
Put yourself in the Readers' Accents Table. See this post.
(Busy real life & traveling, sorry if not here often.)

Hazel Pethig

Post by Hazel Pethig » February 24th, 2010, 9:41 am

Have you seen the new promo? It features the doctor and Amy in some kind of vortex

--Hazel

Starlite

Post by Starlite » February 24th, 2010, 1:16 pm

Hazel Pethig wrote:Have you seen the new promo? It features the doctor and Amy in some kind of vortex

--Hazel
I saw it on Youtube!