Olympics

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Hazel Pethig

Post by Hazel Pethig »

I just watched Mike Roberston of Canada win a silver medal in snowboard cross!

As for me lighting the torch? There is nothing that could entice me into visiting Vancouver for the next month. I'm much happier just watching it on TV.

And if you are interesting in what Canada is, here is the poem that was read during the opening ceremonies that does a pretty good job of describing us.
http://www.vancouversun.com/More+Transcript+opening+ceremony+poem+Shane+Koyczan/2558526/story.html

--Hazel
[size=150][i][color=cyan]Eat.[/color] [color=blue]Sleep.[/color] [color=darkblue]Read.[/color] [color=indigo]Repeat.[/color][/i][/size]
Hazel Pethig

Post by Hazel Pethig »

momof3chihuahuas wrote:
And now people are texting while driving! WHO drives with their knees??!
So sorry. Texting while driving is now illegal in BC as of Jan 1 2010. You're also not allowed to use an mp3 player, talk on your cell phone, or wear earbuds. I'm sorry, but all this is common sense to me! I did drive through town yesterday and see the police out doing cell phone checks.

--Hazel
[size=150][i][color=cyan]Eat.[/color] [color=blue]Sleep.[/color] [color=darkblue]Read.[/color] [color=indigo]Repeat.[/color][/i][/size]
BellonaTimes

Post by BellonaTimes »

I absolutely enjoyed the attractive young duo from Ontario who deservedly won the gold last night in ice dancing. They were perfect, and this from a guy all set to cheer my country's team (who also earned their medals, albeit silver ones) on to the limit. I also admired the technical talent of the Russian couple who won the bronze... but those outfits: blecch! :shock:
They call me Threadkiller.
My Catalog Page
smijen

Post by smijen »

I've done so much griping in this thread that I suppose I should say something positive. ;)
I've mostly been holing up at home, but I had to take my daughter in to the Children's Hospital yesterday morning... 2 blocks away from where men's curling (Canada vs US) was happening. I was dreading it, but it actually went very smoothly! They seem to be doing a decent job of moving people around the city.
PS it was sort of weird watching Olympic curling on the TV in the waiting room, knowing it was happening just a couple blocks away.
Android users - try Orthografiend, a free word game from the maker of Checker.
Hazel Pethig

Post by Hazel Pethig »

I didn't realize the hospital was so close to one of the Olympic venues. I'm glad my daughter's next apt there is in early March!

--Hazel
Hazel Pethig

Post by Hazel Pethig »

Wow, Canada just won 3 medals in 15 minutes. a gold and silver in women's bobsleigh and a silver in women's 3000m short track team.

--Hazel
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Hazel Pethig wrote: And if you are interesting in what Canada is, here is the poem that was read during the opening ceremonies that does a pretty good job of describing us.
http://www.vancouversun.com/More+Transcript+opening+ceremony+poem+Shane+Koyczan/2558526/story.html

--Hazel
Thanks for pointing this out Hazel, didn't see that in the papers here :?
Shane Koyczan wrote:...because we are more than sticky maple syrup and clean snow
he obviously hasn't been to Toronto, snow don't stay clean long here :P
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
Hazel Pethig

Post by Hazel Pethig »

he obviously hasn't been to Toronto, snow don't stay clean long here
I doesn't stay clean anywhere there is a man, if you know what I mean!

--Hazel
Welsh Librarian

Post by Welsh Librarian »

as much as an eight hour time difference will allow and wish to say that I do not believe recent British press coverage saying the Games have been terrible. When Jacques Rogge announces that "Vancouver have been the best Games ever" I shall be nodding in complete agreement
Hazel Pethig

Post by Hazel Pethig »

But here is good news I hope for female ski jumpers. The women were shut out of the 2010 games because the IOC said there had not been enough international competition. (I can't print here what I think of the IOC for not letting women compete) This morning I heard that women will now be officially competing in ski jumping. There is even an outside chance they will be allowed in the 2014 Russian games!?

--Hazel :D
smijen

Post by smijen »

Are any other Canadians still collecting Olympic coins? I finally got a couples figure skating quarter today. It's hard at coffee break time... have to be careful that I'm not spending something my daughter still needs for her set.
Android users - try Orthografiend, a free word game from the maker of Checker.
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

I have a few coins but one of my favorites is the Canadian Tire $1 coin I reveived! It's really cool. I wish I had more.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/canadian-tire-launches-1-coin/article1385536/

Esther :)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
Hazel Pethig

Post by Hazel Pethig »

I think I have them all now. Including a women's hockey team one that someone painted the maple leaf red on!

--Hazel
digitaltoast

Post by digitaltoast »

I'm with Dr David Starkey on last Friday's "Any Questions"; listen at http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01kktms/Any_Questions_13_07_2012/?t=7m25s (7m 25s in in case that doesn't work) or here's the transcript of part of it.
“I am fed up of this national act of everybody get together, jump up and down and pretend they’re at a school camp for the Olympics.

I hate forced celebration, I hate turning my capital city into a theme park. I hate Zil limousine lanes.

I hate the Olympic emblem which has become a kind of plague curse on the entire city, distorting it, perverting it; and I hate the rape of Greenwich Park in which one of the noblest of parks is defaced by this monstrous erection, and I use that word deliberately, this monstrous erection for a lot of prancing horsemen and women for about five minutes to satisfy the television cameras.

I won’t rejoice and I hope the whole thing is buggered.”
And I personally hope that when the boss of G4S comes before the select committee later, that he'll be grilled and roasted to a crisp. I have this feeling he won't be, though, because of the danger of it going back down the line. Look at Hunt being interviewed here - he's absolutely crapping himself, he knows the game is up:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18866153

You heard it from the man - he "guarantees" a safe Olympics with no problems. Really worth watching just to see the man wriggle....

Sorry, not a fan. Heck, why am I apologising.
[url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=1685]Sections Completed[/url]