Olympics

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Hazel Pethig

Post by Hazel Pethig » February 8th, 2010, 10:11 am

All right, we can't put this off any more. The Olympic games are coming to Vancouver. For me, that is just across the water. I live on Vancouver Island. I know all the hype, because I've heard it when the games have been hosted by other cities. But it seems for the residents of the host city, the games are not all that sporting. It may seem like I'm down on this event, but for all the hassle involved in getting to and into the venues, I'm much happier watching it at home. Most of downtown Vancouver is shut down. The sea-to-sky highway is restricted to Olympic vehicles and buses only, to bad if you live past Whistler or have other business around there. Estimates are up to 2 hour wait for the sky train (ALRT), and 2-3 hours to actually get into the venue and into your seat. There is airport like security to get in, and your not allowed to bring anything in. Therefore you must purchase food and drink from VANOC. I think this will be the most difficult games to watch in person.
All that said, I am definitely cheering hard for our Canadian athletes, and I hope that everyone who does attend an event has the time of their lives!

--Hazel
[size=150][i][color=cyan]Eat.[/color] [color=blue]Sleep.[/color] [color=darkblue]Read.[/color] [color=indigo]Repeat.[/color][/i][/size]

Peter Why

Post by Peter Why » February 8th, 2010, 2:41 pm

We have the same trouble in London. Despite all the hype, I haven't encountered a single real person (i.e. not involved in media or media-backed sports) who wanted the Olympics here.

It's costing us a fortune (us being the London council tax payers), the facilities are insanely overbudget and will almost certainly not have the post-Olympic effect on the local economy that the politicians have said.

... and I know for certain that we haven't got a public transport system that will support the games.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » February 8th, 2010, 2:51 pm

And - rumour hath it - the Easterners have pinched all your snow :D

The way all these major sporting events are set up for the TV money maybe it would make sense to have them somewhere permanent, it would be cheaper

Anne

smijen

Post by smijen » February 8th, 2010, 8:53 pm

Hazel Pethig wrote:For me, that is just across the water.
For me, it's just down the street. I'm not even downtown, and I'm up on a mountain, for heaven's sake. But they are using our little neighbourhood as a gathering place for people catching shuttle buses up to the big mountains. Nightmare.
Peter Why wrote:Despite all the hype, I haven't encountered a single real person (i.e. not involved in media or media-backed sports) who wanted the Olympics here.
There was actually a vote here, and more than 50% of people were against it, but they did it anyway.
annise wrote:And - rumour hath it - the Easterners have pinched all your snow
It's gorgeous here. We've actually been sleeping with the balcony door open. :)
VANOC (Vancouver Olympics Committee) has been boasting that this will be the "greenest" Olympics ever... and now they are trucking in snow. ;) :lol:
Android users - try Orthografiend, a free word game from the maker of Checker.

catchpenny

Post by catchpenny » February 8th, 2010, 10:10 pm

smijen wrote:
Peter Why wrote:Despite all the hype, I haven't encountered a single real person (i.e. not involved in media or media-backed sports) who wanted the Olympics here.
There was actually a vote here, and more than 50% of people were against it, but they did it anyway.
:roll: I remember in my area when a school bond was on the ballot; in putting it on the ballot it was promised that should it fail they would not put it on again. It failed, and the Powers that be earnestly told us that they didn't think people really understood how necessary this bond was, so they put it on the ballot again. It passed.
Anyone can read accurately. [i]I[/i] read with great expression.

aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw » February 9th, 2010, 2:20 am

Toronto is set to host the Pan-am Games in 2015. The city bogs down during rush hour now, gets worse when a Jays games is on :P

Goodluck to those out on the west coast.

...and as Hazel says
ImageGO CANADA GOImage
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!

Hazel Pethig

Post by Hazel Pethig » February 9th, 2010, 10:00 am

As for this...
The way all these major sporting events are set up for the TV money maybe it would make sense to have them somewhere permanent, it would be cheaper
the american TV station CBS says they are going to lose between 200 and 250 millions by broadcasting the games in the states. I guess the american companies do not want to advertise during the games.

--Hazel
[size=150][i][color=cyan]Eat.[/color] [color=blue]Sleep.[/color] [color=darkblue]Read.[/color] [color=indigo]Repeat.[/color][/i][/size]

Nullifidian

Post by Nullifidian » February 9th, 2010, 11:39 am

Speaking of the Olympics, I just saw this article from yesterday's Daily Telegraph and haven't stopped laughing since.

Polish newspaper claims 'Pedobear' is 2010 Vancouver Olympic mascot :lol:

aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw » February 10th, 2010, 2:23 pm

I saw these new Olympic Events in today's paper
http://www.metronews.ca/Toronto/comment/article/447532--editorial-cartoon-for-february-10-2010
smijen wrote:VANOC (Vancouver Olympics Committee) has been boasting that this will be the "greenest" Olympics ever... and now they are trucking in snow.
An article I read said not only are they trucking in snow, but the hydrogen for the fleet of shuttle buses is being trucked in from Quebec
:shock:
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!

RuthieG

Post by RuthieG » February 10th, 2010, 2:30 pm

The only thing I have heard about Vancouver on British radio in recent days is the shocking drug problem there. I think Vancouver's PR Department needs an overhaul. ;)

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding

smijen

Post by smijen » February 10th, 2010, 9:35 pm

RuthieG wrote:The only thing I have heard about Vancouver on British radio in recent days is the shocking drug problem there.
Sadly, it's all true. I found the Downtown Eastside quite shocking when I first moved out here. It is quite literally 8 square blocks, with perfectly normal neighbourhoods to the West, South, and East, and Canada's 2nd richest neighbourhood across the water to the North. It's as though there's an invisible force field around that area or something. It's reasonably safe during the day. I've short-cutted through there more times than my family would like.

The thing about Vancouver is, it's the end of the line. Everyone who is running away from something, looking for their big break, etc., etc. comes wandering out here - and then there's nowhere else to go. Plus it's the only city in Canada where you can sleep outside 365 days of the year without freezing to death. So... we have a lot of dysfunctional people out here. (*ahem* yours truly excluded of course)
Android users - try Orthografiend, a free word game from the maker of Checker.

momof3Chihuahuas

Post by momof3Chihuahuas » February 11th, 2010, 1:06 am

Hazel Pethig wrote:As for this...
the american TV station CBS says they are going to lose between 200 and 250 millions by broadcasting the games in the states. I guess the american companies do not want to advertise during the games.

--Hazel
Not to be picky at all, Hazel, but NBC is the TV network that is showing the Olympic games---is that what you meant? And it might be that the cost of companies advertising during the Olympics is more expensive than it is typically, like how much more it costs to advertise during the Super Bowl (astronomical prices for commercials then!).

I also agree it'd be cheaper to have the Olympics in either one place or just choose a few places, depending on if it's summer or winter games. But I doubt that'll ever happen. Makes me glad I live in a small town in southern Indiana. Big-city traffic would make me crazy! Bloomington, Indiana, home of Indiana University, is the biggest city I care to drive in. Indianapolis, forget it!

And now people are texting while driving! Yikes! Dangerous & deadly! Is it THAT important to send a text?? Can't be! :twisted: Have to agree with Oprah on that one (even tho she's not my favorite celebrity by a long shot). I don't even have a cell phone (neither does hubby), but I simply can't imagine texting while driving! WHO drives with their knees??! :shock: Oprah had an expert on her show who even said that just talking on phone (even hands-free) while driving is dangerous cause our brains can't process everything going on---watching the road & talking on phone. Don't text while driving, please! It's the same as having had 8 alcoholic drinks, studies show. Seriously, think about it. It could save your life or someone else's. Sorry, hopping off soapbox now! :roll: (Don't quite know how I got on it! LOL)

Take care, everyone! Those of you in Vancouver, hang in there---has to be tough, I'm sure. I'm looking forward to figure skating & some of the other events, tho. :D Everyone have a great weekend!

Whew, it's 3 a.m. here; maybe I can finally get some sleep. I hope so!
Joy :9:

P.S. I also saw on National Geographic ("Taboo: Narcotics") that Vancouver has a clinic where addicts can shoot up heroin, etc., with clean needles (Insite, I think it's called), & it's staffed with nurses & counselors---& also has a rehab center upstairs when junkies might be ready to get clean. Very odd, but I guess it cuts down on OD's. They showed one man who lost consciousness & they had to give him oxygen, a shot of Narcan (sp?) to reverse narcotic effects, & wait for him to wake up. He did. Scary! :shock: One woman was shooting up in her neck cause she'd used up all her veins in arms---so sad! *shudder* Only place like it in the world. Sorry for rambling yet again! :roll:
You cannot understand the glories of the universe without believing there is some Supreme Power behind it. Stephen Hawking

Twitter @momof3chis (but don't have cell phone LOL :roll:)

Hazel Pethig

Post by Hazel Pethig » February 11th, 2010, 9:21 am

The big topic now, is who will light the Olympic flame. Speculation is Wayne Gretzky. I hope not. He hasn't been living in Canada for years and years and shouldn't be considered. I think it should be some one who is completely Canadian. Some who still lives in Canada and represents Canadian values. Another name being put forward is Betty Fox, Terry Fox's mother, I think she would be great. She represents all that Canada is. Giving, caring, and devoted to a cause she feels strongly about.
Of course my opinions do not matter and the high muck-a-mucks will pick whoever will bring in the most spectators and money.

either way the opening ceremonies tomorrow will be spectacular, and I'm looking forward to watching them. On tv. Image

--Hazel

Lucy_k_p

Post by Lucy_k_p » February 15th, 2010, 3:32 pm

Congrats to Canada's Alexandre Bilodeau for winning the Men's moguls. I was watching this lunchtime and it looked very spectacular. I'd never even heard of the sport before.
So little space, so much to say.

catchpenny

Post by catchpenny » February 15th, 2010, 4:15 pm

Hazel Pethig wrote:The big topic now, is who will light the Olympic flame.

--Hazel
I vote for Hazel.
Anyone can read accurately. [i]I[/i] read with great expression.