One Book a Week Club, 2010...

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

18 "Traveller in Black" by John Brunner (a re-read). An odd narrative, with some flavour of Moorcock's Elric world, where chaos is gradually crystallising into order. I like to read it every year or so.
19 "The Dracula Tape" by Fred Saberhagen. One of the two vampire series which I have read which are more sympathetic of the vampire's point of view (the other being Barbara Hambly's "Those who hunt the night" ... two of those, I think). It's fun to see the events described by Bram Stoker through the Count's eyes.
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

20 The Ladies of Mandrigyn, by Barbara Hambly (re-read). A tight, emotional story of a mercenary and his second in command, tangledin wizardry, politics and love. Sadly, the author only seems to have written two more set in this world (and I've only read the second of these once, as its storyline is rather depressing).

21 Dough, Simple Contemporary Bread, by Richard Bertinet (includes a CD! showing kneading and preparation of a couple of breads). Interesting variation from the usual English style of bread making. Very useful.

Peter
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

All this recording and PLing and BCing is really slowing down my reading, I usually read much more than that... So I went to the library instead of just reading the tons of books I get from my mother (librarian too ) every time I go home, because there is a deadline! Wait, there are deadlines here too...

11. På udkig efter Hemingway (on the search of hemingway?), by Leif Davidsen. Quite interesting, but not relly well written, and is Key West really by the Pacific Ocean???
12. The Engel's game, by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. Unfortunately the library only had it in Danish, but so far so good, very much in the spirit of "the shadow of the wind", a bit esoteric and really nicely written.
Listening to "the Frozen Pirate" by W. Clark Russell. I BCed this one without knowing it and am almost done with the listening. Most of it was recorded by 2 newbies who did an excellent job, and the language is just beautiful!
Nadine

Les enfants du capitaine Grant

Live in a death + 70 country? Have a look at Legamus
Nullifidian

Post by Nullifidian »

With only five full months into the year, I'm already at 30 books, so I'll probably end up reading between 70-80 this year if I keep up my present pace.

23. South! The Story of Shackleton's Last Expedition, 1914-1917 by Ernest Shackleton, a LibriVox audiobook read by a group
24. Doctor Syn: A Tale of the Romney Marsh by Russell Thorndyke
25. The Amateur Cracksman by E.W. Hornung
26. Six Characters in Search of an Author by Luigi Pirandello
27. The Duchess of Malfi by John Webster, a LibriVox audiobook dramatic reading with a group
28. Raffles: Further Adventures of the Amateur Cracksman by E.W. Hornung, a LibriVox audiobook read by Kristen Hughes
29. Meditations by Marcus Aurelius, A LibriVox audiobook read by a group
30. The Student as Nigger by Jerry Farber

This has been a real LibriVox period of reading. Everything either came from LV or was a public domain e-text, except for Jerry Farber's book.

I'll be reading a lot more physical books this summer. I just ordered five books from AK Press (Academic Repression, Anarchism and Its Aspirations, Direct Action: An Ethnography, Haymarket: A Novel and I Am Not a Man, I Am Dynamite! Friedrich Nietzsche and the Anarchist Tradition), which arrived on June 1st, plus I'm reading stuff from my backlog of books.

So right now I'm dividing my time between:

1. Academic Repression: Reflections from the Academic-Industrial Complex by Anthony Nocella, II, Steven Best, and Peter McLaren (eds.) - Part of my AK Press order.
2. Fields, Factories, and Workshops Tomorrow by Pyotr Kropotkin, Colin Ward (ed.) - Not PD, but the original work, Fields, Factories, and Workshops, is.
3. Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy - A LibriVox group recording.
4. Down the River by Edward Abbey - Part of my backlog. I had a hankering for some good nature writing because this is the time of year I start ocean kayaking, sailing, and hiking the trails.
5. The Cry for Justice: An Anthology of the Literature of Social Protest by Upton Sinclair (ed.) - This is PD and I'm thinking of making it a project. It poses challenges as both a solo and a group project, because the book itself is so long — almost 900 pages — but the individual selections are so short.
aravis

Post by aravis »

Recently finished:

Thursday's Child by Noel Streatfield: loved it
Ballet Shoes for Anna by Noel Streatfield
Das doppelte Lottchen by Erich Kästner
The Solitude of Prime Numbers by Paolo Giordano
Elli

"Tiefer und tiefer zogen die Buchstaben ihn hinab, wie ein Strudel aus Tinte...dorthin wo auch Staubfinger verschwunden war. An den Ort, an dem alle Geschichten enden." (Cornelia Funke)
AmethystA

Post by AmethystA »

Adding to my list:

My personal goal for this year is 120 books....3 more than I ended up with last year. I know it's an odd number, but hey, my parogative and something to shoot for. :D
It's fun to be able to look back on what I've read over the past few years! Here's my reads for Books I completed in 2007, 2008, and

01-50 in 2010
Adding to my list:

51. Sherlock Holmes - The Adventure of the Lion's Mane by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
52. Flory: A Miraculous Story of Survival by Flory A. Van Beek--The Story of Flory and her family's experiences in the Nazi occupied Netherlands. Desperate times calls for desperate measures...Flory and her family at first are sure that nothing will happen to them as the Netherlands remained neutral in World War 1, so they thought they were safe.
53. Plain and Fancy by Wanda Brunstetter
54. Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult
55. The Midwife's Apprentice by Karen Cushman
56. The Riesling Retribution by Ellen Crosby
57. Death Qualified by Kate Wilhelm
58. Larkrise to Candleford by Flora Thompson
59. Curiosity Killed the Cat Sitter by Blaize Clement
60. No Place Like Home by Mary Higgins Clark
61. A Hearth in Candlewood by Delia Parr
62. Lakeside Cottage by Susan Wiggs
63. The Land by Mildred D. Taylor
64. Where Are You Now? by Mary Higgins Clark
65. The Weedless Widow by Deborah Morgan
66. Second Chance Pass by Robyn Carr
67. The Persian Pickle Club by Sandra Dallas
68. The Search by Nora Roberts--I enjoyed the story and following the development of Fiona's story. I got very tired of the liberal use of the "F" word.
69. My Name is Mary Sutter by Robin Oliveira--This wasn't what I thought it was going to be about. There was more back story than main story.
70. Her Royal Spyness by Rhys Bowen--I really enjoyed this book. I love this time period and the funny quips Georgie says just crack me up. This was a light hearted book and I'm looking forward to learning more about Georgie who is up a creek, being she's related to the Royal family (she's 35th in line for the throne) and must live up to Royal Standards in her conduct, yet she doesn't have an allowance to help her do that.

Georgie finds she must figure out how to make a living for herself, when her half-brother informs her he can no longer support her. So, Georgie moves to London and must adjust to living with no household help and tries to survive by doing menial work. Her first attempt as a shop girl at Harrod's is very short-lived. Her second attempt works somewhat better and then "HM" (Her Majesty) the Queen asks her for help on a special investigation. Georgie desperately needs to be sucessful or else she will find herself shipped off to the country and having the boring task of being a Lady in Waiting for the Queen's oldest daughter. The way Georgie finds a way out of her predicament is delightful. :-)
71. Four on the Floor by Deborah Morgan
72. Secrets in the Heather by Gwen Kirkwood
73. I Heard That Song Before by Mary Higgins Clark
74. A Countess Below Stairs by Eva Ibbotson
75. Mr. Monk and the Blue Flu by Lee Goldberg
76. By the Pricking of My Thumbs by Agatha Christie
77. Crossfire by Dick Francis and Felix Francis
78. Silence is Golden by Jeanne M. Dams
79. Red, White and Blue Murder by Jeanne M. Dams
80. The Black Stallion by Walter Farley
81. A Blessing in Disguise by Elvi Rhodes
82. Daddy's Little Girl Mary Higgins Clark
83. An Irish Country Doctor by Patrick Taylor
84. Call of the Heather by Gwen Kirkword
85. When The Heather Blooms by Gwen Kirkwood
86. A Royal Pain by Rhys Bowen
87. A Bride in the Bargain by Deanne Gist
88. An Irish Country Village by Patrick Taylor
89. Royal Flush by Rhys Bowen
90. A Vintage Affair by Isabel Wolff
91. Katie Up and Down the Hall by Glenn Plaskin
92. Rude Awakenings of a Jane Austen Addict by Laura Viera Rigler
93. Murder Past Due by D. R. Meredith
94. Lyddie by Katherine Peterson
95. A Spy in the House by Y. S. Lee
96. Real Murders by Charlaine Harris
97. Masquerade by Nancy Moser
98. Nighttime is My Time by Mary Higgins Clark
99. Murder in the Mews by Agatha Christie
100.Nurse Matilda by Christianna Brand--I saw the movie along time ago, but just discovered there was a book it was based on. Quite charming! The picture of the "don't gobble your food" at breakfast was hilarious. They kept having to go around with the different breakfast foods until they figured out the way to say they wanted to stop was writing it in "treacle" on their porridge. Then of course they didn't say please the first time and had to go around all the different foods until they got to the porridge again so they could spell "please." It gave me quite the chuckle.

Working on:
Among the Mad by Jacqueline Winspear
Caught by Harlan Coben
Heart and Soul by Maeve Binchy
The Listerdale Mystery and 11 Other Stories by Agatha Christie
Death Comes as the End by Agatha Christie
Searching for Tilly by Susan Sallis

On my to-read list:
The Rose Garden Mystery by Elliott Roosevelt
A Restless Evil by Ann Granger
The Fala Factor by Stuart Kaminsky
Tigerheart by Peter David
Still Life by Louise Penny
The Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford
The Forsyte Saga by John Galsworthy--This one will take a while!

So many books to choose from!
Last edited by AmethystA on October 29th, 2010, 1:57 pm, edited 27 times in total.
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

22 The Witches of Wenshar, by Barbara Hambly (re-read). A follow-on from The Ladies of Mandigyn, number 20 in my list. Strong characters, demons, hatred, magic, love. Beautiful.
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

Well, I've been on holiday, so I've actually managed a couple of books last week (no LV to distract me :twisted: ):
13. Hævn (revenge) by Stine Bolther. Nice!
14. Le tailleur gris by Andrea Camilleri (the grey suit): excellent, although not in his usual style...
15. Malavita encore (malavita the sequel) by Tonino Benacquista. Obviously not as good as the first one, but still entertaining!
16. Le Nazi et le barbier (the nazi and the barber, a tale of vengeance) by Edgar Hilsenrath. I was shocked at the first chapters, but then realised it is supposed to be absurd, and I heartily recommend it! Written by a Jew, it is the story of a German guy who ends up killing a lot of jews in a KZ in Poland, but then takes the identity of his best (and Jewish) friend who died by his hands, to embrace the Jewish cause, move to Palestine etc... Not revealing too much, all of this is in the description of the book.
Nadine

Les enfants du capitaine Grant

Live in a death + 70 country? Have a look at Legamus
anoldfashiongirl

Post by anoldfashiongirl »

Well here is my list. It'll look pitiful than the last couple years but I've been SO busy it's not funny.

CURRENTLY READING
The Shadow and The Night by Chris Walley (The Lamb Among The Stars series)
20th Century Ghost by Joe Hill

COMPLETED
The Last Olympian (Percy Jackson) by Rick Riordan
The Secret of the Forgotten City (Nancy Drew) by Carolyn Keene
The Wailing Siren Mystery (Hardy Boys) by Franklin Dixon
~~~ Jami ~~~

Your Life is an occasion, rise to it.
- Mr. Magorium

Signature Loading
(89%/100)
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Jacquerie

Post by Jacquerie »

I don't have a goal this year, and a lot of my reading has been for Librivox. I can only promise to finally get through The Woman in White this summer. I note here some of my favorites from previous years:

Fiction:
Beach Music, by Pat Conroy. Maybe the best-written novel I've ever read.

The Mists of Avalon, by Marion Zimmer Bradley. A rich blend of legend, pre-history, magic and just plain good storytelling, set in ancient Britain during the era of transition from goddess worship to Christianity. I don't know how they could have made such a terrible mini-series out of such a beautiful book. Do skip the novel's sequels, however.

Provencal Tales, by Michael de Larrabetti. A collection of legends, as told by Provencal shepherds around the campfire, in the days when they herded sheep on foot from the coastal plains to the Basse Alpes. The stories, too, cover a lot of terrain, from romance to tragedy to comedy and fable.

Non-fiction:
Women Who Run with the Wolves, by Clarissa Pinkola Estes. Looks at stories -- why they're written, and especially what they mean to women. "The Hero's Journey" for women.

The Lincolns in the White House, by Jerrold M. Packard.

And If I Perish, by Evelyn M. Monahan and Rosemary Neidel-Greenlee. A history of the contribution of nurses during WWII.

Celestine, by Gillian Tindall. An intriguiging portrait of a woman in a French village in the 1860s, taking as its starting point letters left behind after her death.

City Behind a Fence, by Charles W. Johnson and Charles O. Jackson. A fascinating look at everyday life in the super-secret enclave of Oak Ridge, Tennessee as the atom bomb was being developed.

A Midwife's Tale, by Laura Thatcher Ulrich. Wonderful exploration of the journals of a rural midwife in Massachusetts, during the transition from colony to nation, and from midwifery to male physicians. Also check out her book Good Wives.

I'll stop here, though there are so many others...
Nullifidian

Post by Nullifidian »

I haven't been around for a while, but I have kept on reading. The books may be out of chronological order, though, since I'm trying to remember back to June or so.

31. The Cry for Justice: An Anthology of the Literature of Social Protest by Upton Sinclair (ed.)
32. Academic Repression: Reflections from the Academic-Industrial Complex by Anthony Nocella II, Steven Best, and Peter McLaren (eds.)
33. God and the State by Mikhail Bakunin, an LV audiobook read by Carl Manchester
34. The Souls of Black Folk by W.E.B. Du Bois, an LV recording read by toriasuncle (his only recording, alas!)
35. The Thirty-nine Steps by John Buchan, an LV recording read by Adrian Praetzellis
36. The Unholy Ghost: Writers on Depression by Nell Casey (ed.)
37. The Duchess of Malfi by John Webster (reread)
38. John Webster by Ian Scott-Kilvert
39. Oroonoko: or, The Royal Slave by Aphra Behn, an LV audiobook read by Elizabeth Klett
40. Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brian (reread). I began this when I mislaid my MP3 player and had to switch to the cassette audiobook read by Patrick Tull instead.
41. Flash by Jim Miller. This book isn't officially released yet, but I got an advance copy because I'm just that awesome. ;) Actually, I just know the author. It was quite good, covering a period of history that is now almost entirely forgotten: the IWW free speech fights in San Diego. It's told through the framing device of a modern researcher-journalist who goes looking for information about the fictional Wobbly, Bobby Flash, so in a way it resembles the setup in Wallace Stegner's Angle of Repose.

Currently reading:
The Atheist: Madalyn Murray O'Hair by Bryan Le Beau
Philosophy of Biology, 2nd ed. by Michael Ruse (ed.)
Under Fire by Henri Barbusse
The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins
The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists by Robert Tressell, a LibriVox audiobook read by Tadhg
AmethystA

Post by AmethystA »

Hmmm, it doesn't look like I'm going to make my original goal of 120 books for this year, but then I've discovered TV shows on Itunes and have been watching Larkrise to Candleford and lately the show Castle. So, that's slowed down my reading/listening.
Bloom where you’re planted!
Cori

Post by Cori »

No, I probably won't hit my target 52, either ... and I can't even claim Larkrise as a reason, I've just not been reading that much.

Though, that said, I have about 7 books in progress, so I guess if I finish up all of those, I'd be closer to on track. I'm usually quite faithful to one book until it's finished ... not sure why I'm diversifying like this.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
wildemoose

Post by wildemoose »

Because I'm a little OCD, I've been keeping a list of every book I've read since 2006. I counted this morning and I've read 111 books in 2010 so far. You can tell from my list that I have a tendency to go on author, subject, or period jags--reading all 25 Elsie Dinsmore books (even the really, really awful ones), in lieu of any other reading, for example, or reading 10 Angela Brazil books in a row. Actually, most of the last six months has been devoted to 19th/early 20th century children's and young adult fiction. Clearly I'm trying to resist both adulthood and the 21st century.
AmethystA

Post by AmethystA »

I do go in jags at times, too. Your comment, wildemoose,
Actually, most of the last six months has been devoted to 19th/early 20th century children's and young adult fiction. Clearly I'm trying to resist both adulthood and the 21st century.
gave me a giggle. I'm sure some of my reading selections looks as if I'm trying to resist the same thing.

Here's my full list of reading for this year so it's all in one post:

So far this year I've read:

1. Virgin River by Richard Wheeler
2. The Maze by Catherine Coutler--I enjoyed finding out how Savich and Sherlock got together, but didn't appreciate the liberal use of the "f" word in this book. The bad guy in this one didn't like women who cursed. Therefore cursing was employed to try and trap him.
3. Fair and Tender Ladies by Lee Smith--Loved this book told in letters that Ivy writes to various people in her life.
4. The Target by Catherine Coutler-- I enjoyed this one quite a bit. Savich and Sherlock were peripheral in this book.
5. Ghost Ship by Dietlof Reiche
6. Miss Lizzie by Walter Satterthwait -- Interesting premise...a young girl, Amanda, who is unhappy at home due to her step-mother, goes and makes friends with one of her neighbors on her block. The woman just happened to be Lizzie Borden! Then suddenly the step-mother is found dead. Murdered in a way similar to Lizzie's parents. Has Lizzie begun to kill again, or did Amanda or her brother kill their step-mother???
7. Miss Pettigrew Lives for the Day by Winifred Watson--Miss Pettigrew a governess, is out of work, and goes to the employment agency to try and secure a new post. She is so tired of dealing with children! She is given an address to check and is met at the door by Miss DeFelice saying she needs help NOW! And this is the beginning of a day Miss Pettigrew will never forget!
8. The Body on the Beach by Simon Brett--
9. The Coal Gatherer by Janet Woods
10. Spiderweb for Two by Elizabeth Enright--The last of the Melandy Quartet books. Randy and Oliver find themselves home alone as their older brother and sister go off to school. A mystery of blue notes to find keep them pleasantly occupied and help them get through the year.
11. Sunshine and Shadow - A Benny Harper Mystery by Earlene Fowler
12. Long Lost by Harlan Coben--The First Myron Bolitar book I've read. I enjoyed it....will look for others in the series.
13. A...My Name is Amelia by Joanne Sundell--
14. Poacher's Moon by John D. Nesbitt
15. Tumbling Blocks by Earlene Fowler
16. Death of a Dormouse by Reginald Hill
17. A House of Tailors by Patricia Reilly Giff
18. The Silver Spoon of Solomon Snow by Kaye Umansky
19. House Rules by Jodi Picoult--Interesting premise. What happens when a boy with Asberger's and whose area of intense interest is Crime Scenes and how to correctly interpret them? Then his social "coach" is found murdered and many of the clues point back to him?
20. Shelter Mountain by Robyn Carr
21. Strawberry Hill by Mary Ann Hoberman
22. 10 Lb. Penalty by Dick Francis
23. Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder by Joanne Fluke
24. The Silent Lady by Catherine Cookson--My first Catherine Cookson novel. I really enjoyed it! Though I wish the ending wouldn't have ended so abruptly. After all the character development, it seemed to just sorta stop. I'll definitely try another by Ms. Cookson!
25. Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll
26. For Kicks by Dick Francis
27. A Company of Swans by Eva Ibottson
28. Amethyst Dreams by Phyllis Whitney
29. Ben and Me by Robert Lawson
30. Among the Hidden by Margaret Peterson Haddix-- Very interesting listen about "Illegal Third Children." Luke Garner has spent his entire life - all 12 years - in hiding. The government has outlawed families with more than two children. As the Garners' third child, Luke's very life is in danger. It wasn't too bad for his early growing up, but then the government confiscated some of their land to build more housing and Luke's world became even smaller! Luke is only able to see the outside world through a vent in his attic room. He becomes very observant and thinks there must be another "third child" living next door. Does he have the courage to find out? When Luke meets Jen, another "shadow child," his life opens up and he discovers there are lots of other kids in his predicament. Should he follow Jen on her revolution for change or will he find his own way? This reminded me a bit of the book Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank, which I also enjoyed.
31. Aloha Quilt by Jennifer Chiaverini
32. A Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton Porter
33. The Postcard by Beverly Lewis
34. Aunt Dimity's Death by Nancy Atherton
35. Gentle's Hallow by Kerry Maddon
36. The Trolley Car Family by Elinor Clymer
37. A Sister's Secret by Wanda Brunstetter
38. Harris and Me: A Summer Remembered by Gary Paulsen--This was a riot to listen to. I know for today not politcally correct with some of the games the boys played, but oh so true for the times! I also kept thinking this was my father growing up on the Farm. With the crazy things they came up with to try. :-)
39. Whispering Rock by Robyn Carr
40. The Sisters Grimm: The Fairy Tale Detectives by Michael Buckley
41. Real Murders by Charlaine Harris
42. The Girl Who Chased the Moon by Sarah Addison Allen--My first time reading this author. Interesting story, with the whimsy added in, not too much, just enough. I love the idea of the wallpaper that changes with your moods, ect. Odd to me, that a town that thinks nothing of a giant would find the Crawford family "secret" so strange, or maybe it was just built up in the Father's mind because of the tragedy with his brother.
43. The Dragonfly Pool by Eva Ibbotsen--I enjoyed this one immensely even though at one point in the middle I think the story got a lost a little bit and some of the threads that had been so carefully woven at first became unraveled a bit.
44. The Murder in Chinatown: A Gaslight Mystery by Victoria Thompson
45. Murder on Bank Street by Victoria Thompson
46. This Time Together by Carol Burnett--I really enjoyed listening to this book read by Carol Burnett. It was more like a chat with her than just her reading her book. I love her and thorougly enjoyed it!
47. The Pickle King by Rebecca Promitzer
48. The Search by Iris Johansen
49. Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen
50. Wild Horses by Dick Francis
51. Sherlock Holmes - The Adventure of the Lion's Mane by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
52. Flory: A Miraculous Story of Survival by Flory A. Van Beek--The Story of Flory and her family's experiences in the Nazi occupied Netherlands. Desperate times calls for desperate measures...Flory and her family at first are sure that nothing will happen to them as the Netherlands remained neutral in World War 1, so they thought they were safe.
53. Plain and Fancy by Wanda Brunstetter
54. Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult
55. The Midwife's Apprentice by Karen Cushman
56. The Riesling Retribution by Ellen Crosby
57. Death Qualified by Kate Wilhelm
58. Larkrise to Candleford by Flora Thompson
59. Curiosity Killed the Cat Sitter by Blaize Clement
60. No Place Like Home by Mary Higgins Clark
61. A Hearth in Candlewood by Delia Parr
62. Lakeside Cottage by Susan Wiggs
63. The Land by Mildred D. Taylor
64. Where Are You Now? by Mary Higgins Clark
65. The Weedless Widow by Deborah Morgan
66. Second Chance Pass by Robyn Carr
67. The Persian Pickle Club by Sandra Dallas
68. The Search by Nora Roberts--I enjoyed the story and following the development of Fiona's story. I got very tired of the liberal use of the "F" word.
69. My Name is Mary Sutter by Robin Oliveira--This wasn't what I thought it was going to be about. There was more back story than main story.
70. Her Royal Spyness by Rhys Bowen--I really enjoyed this book. I love this time period and the funny quips Georgie says just crack me up. This was a light hearted book and I'm looking forward to learning more about Georgie who is up a creek, being she's related to the Royal family (she's 35th in line for the throne) and must live up to Royal Standards in her conduct, yet she doesn't have an allowance to help her do that.

Georgie finds she must figure out how to make a living for herself, when her half-brother informs her he can no longer support her. So, Georgie moves to London and must adjust to living with no household help and tries to survive by doing menial work. Her first attempt as a shop girl at Harrod's is very short-lived. Her second attempt works somewhat better and then "HM" (Her Majesty) the Queen asks her for help on a special investigation. Georgie desperately needs to be sucessful or else she will find herself shipped off to the country and having the boring task of being a Lady in Waiting for the Queen's oldest daughter. The way Georgie finds a way out of her predicament is delightful. :-)
71. Four on the Floor by Deborah Morgan
72. Secrets in the Heather by Gwen Kirkwood
73. I Heard That Song Before by Mary Higgins Clark
74. A Countess Below Stairs by Eva Ibbotson
75. Mr. Monk and the Blue Flu by Lee Goldberg
76. By the Pricking of My Thumbs by Agatha Christie
77. Crossfire by Dick Francis and Felix Francis
78. Silence is Golden by Jeanne M. Dams
79. Red, White and Blue Murder by Jeanne M. Dams
80. The Black Stallion by Walter Farley
81. A Blessing in Disguise by Elvi Rhodes
82. Daddy's Little Girl Mary Higgins Clark
83. An Irish Country Doctor by Patrick Taylor
84. Call of the Heather by Gwen Kirkword
85. When The Heather Blooms by Gwen Kirkwood
86. A Royal Pain by Rhys Bowen
87. A Bride in the Bargain by Deanne Gist
88. An Irish Country Village by Patrick Taylor
89. Royal Flush by Rhys Bowen
90. A Vintage Affair by Isabel Wolff
91. Katie Up and Down the Hall by Glenn Plaskin
92. Rude Awakenings of a Jane Austen Addict by Laura Viera Rigler
93. Murder Past Due by D. R. Meredith
94. Lyddie by Katherine Peterson
95. A Spy in the House by Y. S. Lee
96. Real Murders by Charlaine Harris
97. Masquerade by Nancy Moser
98. Nighttime is My Time by Mary Higgins Clark
99. Murder in the Mews by Agatha Christie
100.Nurse Matilda by Christianna Brand--I saw the movie along time ago, but just discovered there was a book it was based on. Quite charming! The picture of the "don't gobble your food" at breakfast was hilarious. They kept having to go around with the different breakfast foods until they figured out the way to say they wanted to stop was writing it in "treacle" on their porridge. Then of course they didn't say please the first time and had to go around all the different foods until they got to the porridge again so they could spell "please." It gave me quite the chuckle.

Working on:
Among the Mad by Jacqueline Winspear
Caught by Harlan Coben
Heart and Soul by Maeve Binchy
The Listerdale Mystery and 11 Other Stories by Agatha Christie
Death Comes as the End by Agatha Christie
Searching for Tilly by Susan Sallis

On my to-read list:
The Rose Garden Mystery by Elliott Roosevelt
A Restless Evil by Ann Granger
The Fala Factor by Stuart Kaminsky
Tigerheart by Peter David
Still Life by Louise Penny
The Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford
The Forsyte Saga by John Galsworthy--This one will take a while!

So many books to choose from!
Bloom where you’re planted!