Edinburgh, Scotland!

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Sibella

Post by Sibella »

I'm going to Edinburgh for 10 days at the end of March, and wondered if anyone was from around there?

Or, has anyone been there? I'm looking for any advice on what to see and do? I am going to take a couple of those minivan tours to Loch Lomond/ Stirling, Loch Ness, Ben Nevis, etc., but what else should I see?
[size=100][b]It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -Aristotle

[/b][/size]
hefyd

Post by hefyd »

Hi Sibella- Edinburgh itself is a wonderful place -walk up to the castle, Walter Scott in hand, and,if you want to keep fit, explore the little lanes that lead off the main road. Many of the Scottish towns were planned [anathema in England] at just the right time, and they're beautiful. Inverness and the Black Isle are well worth a visit, and you can see dolphins in the Moray Firth. You can do a circuit from Inverness up to John O'Groats, Oban, Tongue and back through the Highlands, if the snae's nae tae deep. hefyd
meum est propositum,in taberna mori
ut sint vina proxima,morientis ori
anon.
Claire

Post by Claire »

I spent a couple of days there years ago, Sibella, and thought it was a beautiful city! We stayed on the fifth floor of a hotel that gave us a view of Endinburgh Castle lit at night. :D As hefyd mentioned, we also toured the Scott home and visited Holyrood Palace (hope I remember the spelling correctly).

I envy you! It's so beautiful. :D
Sibella

Post by Sibella »

Hi guys,

I've booked an apartmentin the New Town, which is really cool, and I am going to take a couple of those day trips. I'd love to make a circuit but there is no way i can drive on he other side of the road AND in snow, neither of which I ever do. So! I'm stuck on the touristy trips!
[size=100][b]It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -Aristotle

[/b][/size]
momof3Chihuahuas

Post by momof3Chihuahuas »

Hi, Sibella,

I'm very happy for you; it sounds like so much fun! I hope you have a wonderful time; I'm sure you will. :D

I'm also a bit envious; I'd love to go to Scotland someday, but it seems less & less likely as time goes by. After all, my clan castle isn't far from Edinburgh at all---it's a hotel now, Dalhousie Castle, originally the Ramsay/Ramsey (I spell my maiden name the last way) family home for generations. My cousin & I would LOVE to go someday & stay in the castle itself. (My Ramsey ancestor came to the U.S. in the early 1700's, about 1729, I think. And I'm not sure, but Allan Ramsay the poet was either my direct ancestor or an uncle; his statue is in Greyfriars kirkyard---knowing my ancestors were from Scotland inspired(s) my long-term & far-off love of Scotland.) Ah, but going to visit is a dream---& an expensive one.

Have a lot of fun & give us a report on what you did & how much you enjoyed yourself after you get back? Sounds like a wonderful trip! :thumbs: You lucky girl! Alba go bragh! (Scotland forever! I think! LOL)

Joy :9:
Ora et labora (Ramsey clan motto---Pray and work.)
You cannot understand the glories of the universe without believing there is some Supreme Power behind it. Stephen Hawking

Twitter @momof3chis (but don't have cell phone LOL :roll:)
jimmowatt

Post by jimmowatt »

Sibella wrote:I'm going to Edinburgh for 10 days at the end of March, and wondered if anyone was from around there?

Or, has anyone been there? I'm looking for any advice on what to see and do? I am going to take a couple of those minivan tours to Loch Lomond/ Stirling, Loch Ness, Ben Nevis, etc., but what else should I see?
tle

It should be a fine trip.
Edinburgh is a remarkable place.
Main attractions are the Castle at one end of the Royal Mile and Holyrood Palace at the other. Both are well worth an hour or so of your time.
I remember when I used to go to Edinburgh regularly (my partner was at University there) I always enjoyed the Ghost tours. There are lots of spooky little nooks and crannies and many ghost stories to be told about the city. You'll find them on the Royal Mile easily enough.
Stirling is gorgeous too.
A moody, brooding castle and the site of William Wallace doing his thing.
Hope you enjoy
Kind regards
Jim
[url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=75]Jim Mowatt[/url] - [url=http://historyzine.com]Historyzine - The History Podcast[/url]
jimmowatt

Post by jimmowatt »

I also want to mention a comedy club we used to go to in Edinburgh.
The Stand http://www.thestand.co.uk/
They get some good acts and the food was pretty decent too.
We often enjoyed the Sunday improv shows, partly cos they were fun and also because they were free.
[url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=75]Jim Mowatt[/url] - [url=http://historyzine.com]Historyzine - The History Podcast[/url]
Sibella

Post by Sibella »

Thanks, Jim! I'll be sure to visit all three places, and take a ghost tour or two.

[/b][/size]
Esky

Post by Esky »

Our Dynamic Earth is a pretty cool place. If you go to Inverness, check out Urquhart Castle, right on the banks of Loch Ness. Beautiful area.
kayray

Post by kayray »

<--- jealous!!

Have a GREAT time! Be sure to check out the used bookshops for public domain stuff ;-)
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
Sibella

Post by Sibella »

They are SO on my list. :)

[/b][/size]