What was your first LV listen?

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I don't know if such a thread has been posted before. If it has, please direct me there.

I assume all our volunteers started as listeners, right? Well, what was the first book/project you listened to? Or, if you don't remember that, what was the book/project that prompted you to volunteer?
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I'll start!

My first was "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes." We searched for free audiobooks, found LV, and downloaded it for a road trip. It was nice because each section is stand-alone, so if we didn't finish the book by the time we arrived at our destination, it was no big deal.

That started me as a LV listener, and from there, a volunteer. :mrgreen:
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
kayray

Post by kayray »

Ahhhhh Sherlock Holmes. He's a treasure.

I started reading for LibriVox before we had finished any books. The first one we finished was The Secret Agent (Sept. 2005), so that's the first one I heard ;-)

http://librivox.org/the-secret-agent-by-joseph-conrad/
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

The Railway Children, by Edith Nesbit, for a car trip. Close on its heels (on the return) I listened to The Prisoner of Zenda, by Anthony Hope. Both are a terrific introduction to Librivox, I think. :)
Laurie Anne
anna

Post by anna »

Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.
Kennis spreekt, wijsheid luistert.
pdw

Post by pdw »

The first version of The War Of The Worlds.
Very good book. Love the illustrations too.
kayray

Post by kayray »

pdw wrote:The first version of The War Of The Worlds.
Very good book. Love the illustrations too.
Oh, yes, I think our Stephan from Germany coordinated that one and drew the illustrations. And I got to do that weird Martian sound :)
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
catchpenny

Post by catchpenny »

Scarlet pimpernel. :mrgreen:
Anyone can read accurately. [i]I[/i] read with great expression.
neerajanagarajan

Post by neerajanagarajan »

kayray wrote:And I got to do that weird Martian sound :)
Now I MUST listen to that one!

EDIT -- Oh, and my first was The Jungle Book read SO beautifully by Meredith Hughes. And then I joined up right away :9:
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

Die schwarze Galeere by Wilhelm Raabe, read by Felix
http://librivox.org/die-schwarze-galeere-von-wilhelm-raabe/

It took me three chapters to realize what the disclaim said about volunteering. I signed up the next day and started recording within a week.
And I'm happy ever since :D
russiandoll

Post by russiandoll »

TriciaG wrote:I assume all our volunteers started as listeners, right?
Assume again!
I didn't. I think I came across LV when I had a vague idea of getting involved with doing talking books/newspapers for the blind and was trying to find local organisations. And I can't at all remember what the first thing I listened to was: I would have listened to bits here and there, to get an idea of people's voices. Certainly I remember listening to Laurie-Anne read some Sherlock Holmes pretty early on - I think possibly because I'd read something on the forums in an 'accent-appropriateness' discussion what a great job she did! I doubt I listened to a complete book until at least six months after joining because that's when I got a portable MP3 player. I can't think what the first thing I downloaded to it was, but among the earliest were 'The Warden', 'Common Sense', and 'Cinq semaines en ballon' (I was going on holiday to France).
But I do know that the first thing I signed up for was a chapter of 'Phineas Finn'.
rd
English is the lingua franca par excellence
neerajanagarajan

Post by neerajanagarajan »

russiandoll wrote:But I do know that the first thing I signed up for was a chapter of 'Phineas Finn'.
Oh yes, that was 'Ontario Readers' for me :9:
Julila

Post by Julila »

russiandoll wrote:
Assume again!
I didn't. I think I came across LV when I had a vague idea of getting involved with doing talking books/newspapers for the blind and was trying to find local organisations.
Me too. And when I'd found LV, I kept wondering whether or not to register, whether or not to register etc :).
Anyway, my first read was a short story by Katherine Mansfield. And the first book I listened to was The Scarlet Pimpernel :).

Julie.
Constructive criticism is greatly appreciated!

Mr. Wooster, how would you support a wife? Well, I suppose it depends on whose wife it was, a little gentle pressure beneath the elbow while crossing a busy street usually fits the bill. (P.G. Wodehouse)
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Julila wrote:
russiandoll wrote:
Assume again!
I didn't. I think I came across LV when I had a vague idea of getting involved with doing talking books/newspapers for the blind and was trying to find local organisations.
Me too. And when I'd found LV, I kept wondering whether or not to register, whether or not to register etc :).
Anyway, my first read was a short story by Katherine Mansfield. And the first book I listened to was The Scarlet Pimpernel :).

Julie.
Same here. I came to LV looking for audiobooks for my mom who is loosing her eyesight. I immediately signed up on the forums and suggested The Prince and the Pauper. I had read this by printing out all the millions of pages from Gutenberg and Loved the story.

John Greenman almost immediately took it up as a solo and I proof listened to the whole book. This was before we had such a term as DPL!!!

Needless to say I was hooked! I proofed many books before I had the nerve to read myself.

Esther :D
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

Starlite wrote:
Julila wrote:
russiandoll wrote:Assume again!

Julie.
Same here. I came to LV looking for audiobooks for my mom who is loosing her eyesight. I immediately signed up on the forums and suggested The Prince and the Pauper. I had read this by printing out all the millions of pages from Gutenberg and Loved the story.
I'm another. I heard about it on a podcast, had always had the vague wish of being able to record audiobooks in the back of my mind and jumped at the chance. First thing I signed up for was a chapter of Mansfield Park. First thing I listened to, some time later, was Kara's Secret Garden.
Karen S.