Best dog names?

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Primsong

Post by Primsong »

Love Get Off the Rug - priceless! :lol:

My mom named all of our dogs and she was somewhat unimaginative about them (Molly, Buffy, Max) but we had friends with "Kyloo" and "Smak"... and my uncle named his giagantic Great Dane 'Dawg'.

I always liked that horrible dog in the Patrick McManus books, "Strange."
"Conquer the galaxy! Unimaginable power! Unlimited rice pudding!"
Brian Edwards

Post by Brian Edwards »

Our dogs and cats have always had relatively boring names but my old work mate loved his music and called his dog and cat as - wait for it!

Bark and De Pussy.

Brian
Brian Edwards

TEWANTIN QLD
Australia
kayray

Post by kayray »

The cat is Karen.

When I was little, we had a pair of German Shepherds named Nick and Nora :)
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

My first cat was named Michi, which is Quechua for cat.
Karen S.
aravis

Post by aravis »

My cat is named Antonia, called Toni! (...and only listening to Kitty!)

Elli :D
Elli

"Tiefer und tiefer zogen die Buchstaben ihn hinab, wie ein Strudel aus Tinte...dorthin wo auch Staubfinger verschwunden war. An den Ort, an dem alle Geschichten enden." (Cornelia Funke)
Hazel Pethig

Post by Hazel Pethig »

I think the best names for a dog come from the UK series "Bob and Rose"
one is "The End Is Nigh" and the other is "Looks Like Rain". could you imagine standing in the dog park yelling "Looks Like Rain?"
:lol:

--Hazel
hefyd

Post by hefyd »

The best literary dog name I've seen is 'Cough' -in Anthony Burgess' 'Malayan Trilogy'. hefyd
meum est propositum,in taberna mori
ut sint vina proxima,morientis ori
anon.
Hilara

Post by Hilara »

My dog's called Snoopy II, although the name is awfully common in my city... (but, hey, I was 13!)

So, as we grew up (my bro and I) planned names for our future pets, although it seemes highly unlikely our mom would let us have any more... :roll:

Dog names: Cerberus or Typhoeus or Anubis or Coyote.
For cats: Billi (which means cat in Hindi) or Lynx, or Oncilla or Margay (only if it's a female cat :wink: )
-Hitha.
Meg

Post by Meg »

I have 3 rescue dogs....two came with their names, but one I adopted and named when she was an adolescent. I'm a big fan of 1920s and 1930s films, and when I met her I couldn't get over how much my new little redheaded pup's personality reminded me of that of the red headed silent film star, Clara Bow, so her new name was obvious!

While not being the *best* dog name in the world, it was the most fitting name for her. And "Clara Bow" was CERTAINLY better than her original "shelter" name.... ABBAgail May...yes, as in, the shelter intake folk named after ABBA...poor dear!

~Meg
Bookworm360

Post by Bookworm360 »

A Great Dane named Tiny and a chihuahua named Behemoth would be hilarious. :lol:
2 Timothy 1:7. Look it up.
Specializing in Middle-Earth🧝‍♀️, classics📖, and art🎨🖌
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

The neighbour has a dog called Hamlet .......................... cos its a great dane .

Anne
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I read a beautiful story once called "The Last Dragon." There was a dog in it who went nameless for most of the book, until a good way through when the little elf was left alone with only the dog. He then decided that such a good dog needed a great name, and realized that the only fitting name for such a faithful and true companion was.... Fido.
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

I didn't think I was going to tell anyone here what I just named my puppies, but here goes! :wink:

I have a Min Pin/ Rat Terrier whose name is Reese's (for her pretty Min Pin markings that remind you of a peanut butter cup). 5 wks ago she had 4 girl puppies which I named Tiny, Trixie, Taylor, & Tricia. (Of course as many as find new homes will likely also get new names... But it's fun seeing what one can come up with!) :)

Some of our other dog names over the years have varied in originality- anything from Bruno, Buster, & Lassie to Caddie, Jems, & Vinzi. (Guess where I got the last 3. :wink:) But as far as the best names? I think it varies according to personality and looks for each dog.
~Rosebud
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

My Lurcher is Bonnie. Already named at the dogs home when we rescued her, aged 6 approx. She is 13 approx now. Other dogs, Bob, Pip, Cora, Candy, Phia (not really our dog but we had her a lot).
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I have a Min Pin/ Rat Terrier whose name is Reese's (for her pretty Min Pin markings that remind you of a peanut butter cup). 5 wks ago she had 4 girl puppies which I named Tiny, Trixie, Taylor, & Tricia. (Of course as many as find new homes will likely also get new names... But it's fun seeing what one can come up with!) :)
Well, I'm honored. I've known of other people who have had their names used for dogs, but this is a first for me. :lol:
School fiction: David Blaize
Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine