What are you reading?

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Lucy_k_p

Post by Lucy_k_p »

A Modular Physics Methodology For Games by Florian Schanda. It's my boyfriends PhD thesis and I'm proofreading it for him. I'm so proud that he's finally got it almost finished. (He's spent the past three weeks writing it up after 18 months of doing no work.)
So little space, so much to say.
anna

Post by anna »

I received this book today, as a present from my son :D

Holy Blood, Holy Grail, The special Illustrated edition.
English version
By Micheal Baigent, Richard Leigh & Henry Lincoln
Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.
Kennis spreekt, wijsheid luistert.
RosaleeLuAnn

Post by RosaleeLuAnn »

I am currently re-reading To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis and absolutely LOVING it. This is undoubtably one of my absolute favorite books EVER. Its clever, well plotted, HILARIOUS, and, well, just awesome in general.

Of course the book can stand on its own just fine, but before giving it a try (you know you want to experience the awesomeness) I would suggest giving Three Men in a Boat (To Say Nothing of the Dog) by Jerome K. Jerome and Whose Body? by Dorothy Sayers a listen/read, both of which are also awesome books (and yep, both are in the librivox cataloge). You'd be fine reading it without reading these first, but being able to understand the allusions makes it THAT MUCH awesomer.

Now that I'm done rambling, I'll go continue reading now.
"I knew I'd be in this story somewhere." [size=84]From[i] The King of Attolia[/i], by Megan Whalen Turner[/size]
Ernst Pattynama

Post by Ernst Pattynama »

Greene's The quiet American for the umptieth time
We are never so ridiculous for the qualities we have as for those we pretend to.
CalmDragon

Post by CalmDragon »

Red Mars
Blue Mars
Green Mars
all by Kim Stanley Robinson
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

I just listened to an audio version of Chuck Palahniuk's Invisible Monster... love love loved it so much I stayed up all night to finish it.
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!
Hilara

Post by Hilara »

I'm reading Aristotle's Peri Psuche (De Anima, or in English, On The Soul) coz I picked it for my Reaction Paper at the university...
:shock:
You wouldn't believe how meticulous the guy's arguements are...!!

Apparently, we don't have it on our catalogue yet... I think we should!
-Hitha.
Till

Post by Till »

" north and south" By Elizabeth Gaskell...
;-)
Julila

Post by Julila »

"Het Einde van de Standaardtaal" by Joop van der Horst (literal translating: The End of the Standardized Language).
Quite an interesting book about the decline of a certain way of reading, a reading culture if you like, that started during the Renaissance and is now on its last legs, making way for a new reading culture. And one of the main features of the reading culture was a standardized language.
I haven't finished it yet, so I can't give you either mine or his conclusions :).

Julie.
Constructive criticism is greatly appreciated!

Mr. Wooster, how would you support a wife? Well, I suppose it depends on whose wife it was, a little gentle pressure beneath the elbow while crossing a busy street usually fits the bill. (P.G. Wodehouse)
anoldfashiongirl

Post by anoldfashiongirl »

Have any of you had a while where you aren't interested in reading?

I have over 50 books waiting for me to read them and when I pick up one I'll read a page and then put it down and go do something else and don't pick it up again. ? Right now I'm doing fairly well with Whispers Along the Rails by Judith Miller....but it's going slow.
~~~ Jami ~~~

Your Life is an occasion, rise to it.
- Mr. Magorium

Signature Loading
(89%/100)
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Julila

Post by Julila »

Oh, absolutely! I definitely know that feeling! Usually it goes away after a week or two, but during those two weeks I just don't feel like reading a single page. It takes a really, really good book to break that spell.
Constructive criticism is greatly appreciated!

Mr. Wooster, how would you support a wife? Well, I suppose it depends on whose wife it was, a little gentle pressure beneath the elbow while crossing a busy street usually fits the bill. (P.G. Wodehouse)
anoldfashiongirl

Post by anoldfashiongirl »

This feeling has been going on for about a month now. I have a variety of choices but I just can't seem to get into any of them.

:roll: I do hope it goes away...soon!!!
~~~ Jami ~~~

Your Life is an occasion, rise to it.
- Mr. Magorium

Signature Loading
(89%/100)
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
RosaleeLuAnn

Post by RosaleeLuAnn »

anoldfashiongirl wrote:This feeling has been going on for about a month now. I have a variety of choices but I just can't seem to get into any of them.

:roll: I do hope it goes away...soon!!!
Sounds like what most readers I know call a "book and/or readers slump". Writers get writers block, readers get readers slump. They're No Fun At All when you're stuck in them--I sympathise greatly!

As to what I'm reading, over this last month or so I've read all but one of the Lord Peter Wimsey novels (Thanks to the librivox recording of Whose Body?, which got me started) and I'm going to try and finish up the Miles Vorkosigan books soonish. I've been reading them and enjoying them one or two at a time for years, I really do want to finish this series.
"I knew I'd be in this story somewhere." [size=84]From[i] The King of Attolia[/i], by Megan Whalen Turner[/size]
momof3Chihuahuas

Post by momof3Chihuahuas »

anoldfashiongirl wrote:Have any of you had a while where you aren't interested in reading?

I have over 50 books waiting for me to read them and when I pick up one I'll read a page and then put it down and go do something else and don't pick it up again. ? Right now I'm doing fairly well with Whispers Along the Rails by Judith Miller....but it's going slow.
Yes, I'm in the same slump, Jami . . . bummer. :( And it's been going on for many months. But my slump is complicated by the fact that my eyes simply won't let me read for more than about 15 or 20 pages or so. Then they start watering very badly, as well as itching, stinging, & burning. Extremely frustrating! :twisted:

And, as I'm a member of Swaptree.com (account on hold right now) & Paperbackswap.com I've got at least 100 books---if not more---that I'd love to read! I have my SARA (Scanning And Reading Appliance), but it takes time to scan the books in (& my laptop is on top of my SARA right now). *sigh* What to do?

I'm even that way about audiobooks right now, although I'm trying (for the second time) to listen to Dead Man's Ransom by Ellis Peters (not narrated by Derek Jacobi, though). I'm trying to do the Brother Cadfael books in order.

Hmm, I love historical fiction (Amer. Revolution, Civil War, WWII, but also other American, Scottish, & British history); I love history; I love books about dogs; I love good Christian fiction (sadly, much of it nowadays is sub-par---to me, anyway [there's a glut], & Michael Phillips takes time to get into). I've started Dorothy Dunnett's The Game of Kings , but it's difficult for SARA to read well---& for me too! I don't know what they mean most of the time. It makes me feel dumb! Aarghh! I also have Nigel Tranter books.

Forgive me for rambling; I'm getting to a point (really! :roll: ). And so many LV books are by authors completely unknown to me, but often very well-known to others. So . . . my point: HELP!!!!!

Can someone point me to a really, really good book that I can listen to from LV? Or a few of them? And the better the narrator, the better I'll like it/them (I find I lean a bit more toward solos). I'm not into deep philosophy (didn't go to college---not as bright as I'd like to be), not much into ancient classics. I'm at a loss. I guess I like mysteries, light ones, perhaps. Or funny ones. :) And I like historical fiction that I can "sink my teeth into," as I usually say---not too light, not necessarily a quick read/listen, but something I can get something out of, either intellectually or spiritually (like Michael Phillips). I've read George MacDonald in the past & sometimes that got a bit TOO deep. *sigh* I'm not making any sense! I do NOT like books that slam Christianity. And, in some cases, especially fiction, I like happy endings.

OK, way more than I meant to say! Not concise! :roll: I'll write every suggestion down, whether it's from LV or not. (I don't know which public domain authors I really like yet---too many authors, not enough time!) Thank you for your time & patience! Whew! :shock: LOL

Joy :D
Last edited by momof3Chihuahuas on September 3rd, 2009, 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You cannot understand the glories of the universe without believing there is some Supreme Power behind it. Stephen Hawking

Twitter @momof3chis (but don't have cell phone LOL :roll:)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Can someone point me to a really, really good book that I can listen to from LV? Or a few of them? . . . And I like historical fiction that I can "sink my teeth into," as I usually say---not too light, not necessarily a quick read/listen, but something I can get something out of, either intellectually or spiritually (like Michael Phillips). I've read George MacDonald in the past & sometimes that got a bit TOO deep. *sigh* I'm not making any sense! I do NOT like books that slam Christianity. And, in some cases, especially fiction, I like happy endings.
Not to plug my own solos, but...PANSY! Ester Ried is the first in that series, or Four Girls at Chautauqua.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart