Please Recommend a MP3 Player [BOUGHT]

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Breeze

Post by Breeze » September 29th, 2013, 4:12 am

I have a small LG mp3 player which is I don't no how old. It is fairly small so I can't fit huge amount on it and have to put new stuff on every couple of days. (that varies with how much time I spend listening.
-Bria

Dramatic Readings of Bible passages

Some reason I decided to try to write fiction. And it sucked me far away from LibriVox into the world of writing, editing and blogging.
Click here to read about it.

gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl » September 29th, 2013, 5:25 am

I lost my trusty little sansa fuze+ on an airplane last year; since then I've just been using my phone as an mp3 player.
Karen S.

Hazel Pethig

Post by Hazel Pethig » October 1st, 2013, 5:13 pm

I used to use a Sansa Fuze, but it's just too expensive to replace my old one. One of the reasons I had a fuze was because it could play videos, but now I have a smart phone to play videos. Last year I bought a sansa clip zip. It is a 4gb model and I put in a 32gb card, so 36gb of audiobooks!! I love it. It's great for audiobooks, you can play any number of books and when you go back to one it picks up where you left off. It's small and I have found the clip part very handy. It's easy to use and is a bit customizable too. I paid under $40can at a national electronics retailer.
If you are using a smart phone the app I have found the best is MortPlayer. This app is VERY customizable, and can do anything you want. With earbuds that have a mic button, you can use the button to control the app. My daughter prefers to use her phone to listen to books and likes this app best. I still prefer an MP3 player as it has dedicated buttons and you don't need to go through unlocking a phone to get to the controls.
Reading over my old posts in the thread I can see I have come a long way electronically! I have since gotten a new computer, new MP3 AND a new phone!!

-Hazel
[size=150][i][color=cyan]Eat.[/color] [color=blue]Sleep.[/color] [color=darkblue]Read.[/color] [color=indigo]Repeat.[/color][/i][/size]

RayTheRat

Post by RayTheRat » November 13th, 2013, 11:03 pm

I use several Sandisk SansaClip readers with varying sizes of MicroSDHC cards, ranging from 4 to 32 gig. I've had a couple of failures with them, the worst being when one decided to attempt a literal meltdown (it got REAL hot). This would normally be a somewhat minor irritant, but since it was in the pocket of my blue jeans while driving on a narrow, curving road....well, let's just say that I don't carry 'em in my pocket anymore.

A suggestion of what NOT to buy, based on the previous experience. I stopped at the next small town which just happened to have a WalMart. I bought the only dedicated mp3 player they had. It was an Eclipse brand and it was awful. That night in a motel, I logged into Amazon and ordered another SansaClip so I'd have it when I got home. I still have it and I'm listening to it as I write this.
Ray the Rat
Free radical, innocent miscreant, unherdable cat.
http://www.chevyasylum.com
http://www.raytherat.com
http://www.target550.com

Slithy

Post by Slithy » December 4th, 2013, 3:38 am

I realize that this is an old and resolved thread but I thought I might add my two cents.

I have long been in the market of mp3 players in the class of the iPod Nano. After owning 3 of those(before it shrunk into a small square) and having the third (once again) die after 1 year of ownership I swore off of Apple products. After much research, I purchased a Cowon iAudio9. This player(still available new in minimally changed i9+) has several advantages such as bookmarks, file management without the need of a program, built in equalizer, external "pause/play" button, the ability to play many formats such as FLAC. There are however some issues such as screens prone to cracking(my first lasted like 2 years in a case and i use players very harshly, second slightly broke within a week of use but i could use anyway so i didn't even bother getting fixed), repairs aren't the easiest to get, I had the connection die on my first( It actually served as a a radio/limited player for someone for an extended period of time even with broken screen/no ability to move new songs/books on) and the user interface isn't the most natural for people. Before purchasing my second i9, I tried out an iAudio 10 before promptly returning it. The size/lack of physical start/pause and increased brightness all left me preferring the i9.

I recently purchased a 2012 Walkman(for the person who previously had been using my old player - Sony Walkman NWZE374/BC 8GB). As of yet, I am very impressed with the player for a simple interface, file management that doesn't require a program, good sound quality, built in equalizer etc all for a very reasonable price (~$60 for an 8GB player). I am seriously considering the 2013 16GB edition for myself(~$90) due to the screen issues I've had with my current player. I am not sure the file management is the same as the 2012 and I would miss the bookmark feature/audio format support of the i9 I currently have but it seems to be one of the best offerings of the type of player i prefer.

Hazel Pethig

Post by Hazel Pethig » December 16th, 2013, 8:20 pm

Yea!! I get to revive this again. Has anybody had any experiences with the sony walkman products? I still have my sansa clip zip and I still love it, but I am always planning for the future. It seems to me that sansa is producing less mp3 players and I am worried that they will phase out production completely. They are also putting out fewer software updates. So, I am planning for an eventual replacement. Any hints about sony's products? Anyone?

-Hazel
[size=150][i][color=cyan]Eat.[/color] [color=blue]Sleep.[/color] [color=darkblue]Read.[/color] [color=indigo]Repeat.[/color][/i][/size]

scout

Post by scout » December 17th, 2013, 4:33 am

Content retracted.

Daniel
Last edited by scout on February 27th, 2015, 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
The quality of an audiobook of fiction may be defined by its technical quality, the author's
storytelling abilities, and the narrator's ability to capture the mood of the text.
— scout

Hazel Pethig

Post by Hazel Pethig » December 17th, 2013, 10:03 am

Does the sony have a micro SD card slot?

scout

Post by scout » December 17th, 2013, 2:11 pm

Content retracted.

Daniel
Last edited by scout on February 27th, 2015, 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
The quality of an audiobook of fiction may be defined by its technical quality, the author's
storytelling abilities, and the narrator's ability to capture the mood of the text.
— scout

Hazel Pethig

Post by Hazel Pethig » December 17th, 2013, 7:21 pm

I have done internet searches and looked at reviews on electronics websites. What I am hoping for is personal experience of people who have used this device for audiobooks and not just music. MP3 players treat audiobooks different from music and reviewers only seem to listen to music. Also some sites were a bit vague about whether there was an sd card expansion slot.

-Hazel

scout

Post by scout » December 18th, 2013, 5:21 am

Content retracted.

Daniel
Last edited by scout on February 27th, 2015, 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
— scout

Slithy

Post by Slithy » December 28th, 2013, 3:05 am

I am going to agree that the lack of bookmarks is the biggest downside I currently see on the Walkmans. SD slot matters but if the majority of my listening is books, then I don't have issues.

On the note of battery life - the one I gave as a present is currently being used by that person for 8 hours a day at work and can do 2 or 3 days without charging.

I am fine using my current player(with broken screen) but I am still leaning towards a Walkman if I replace it.

Hazel Pethig

Post by Hazel Pethig » April 24th, 2015, 8:27 am

It's too bad but I have to revive this thread. My beloved Sansa Clip Zip mp3 player has reached the end of its life. A minute of silence please. So to replace it I bought a Clip Sport. Thinking it would be as good as the original. I was so wrong! It is not good at audio books at all. I'm on the wrong device to name all it's inadequacies and there are many. Has any one had good luck with a stand alone mp3 for audio books

Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist » April 24th, 2015, 10:50 am

I'm sorry your mp3 player has died. I didn't realise how often I used mine until it stopped working; I bought a new one very swiftly indeed!

I can tell you what I use, as I'm happy with it. I have a Sony NWZE384. I live in Europe, and I don't know what models are available where you are, or if they carry the same name. I'm including a link to the UK Amazon site so you can see what I'm talking about:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-NWZE384-Walkman-Video-Player/dp/B00E0HX3BM/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1429894796&sr=8-6&keywords=sony+mp3+player

I use it for audiobooks (it has a memory of 8GB) only, so I can't tell you about video or radio features or anything else. It doesn't have a clip, but it's small enough to fit into your pocket.

It comes with headphones, but I actually use Sennheiser earbuds with it. They fit a bit better, and that makes a difference, since I take my mp3 player with me when I go for a walk, and there's more noise. The headphones that came with it are absolutely fine - in fact, I use them for editing in Audacity. I don't know if you already have headphones, or a pair that are more comfortable. I only mention it because when I looked at reviews prior to buying this model, I noticed it cropping up.

I don't know what other the normal battery life is with other brands' players, but the factory said something in the range of 24-30 hours. Despite sounding like marketing propaganda, that doesn't seem greatly exaggerated based on my experience. After roughly 5-6 hours of playing time, the little battery symbol drops by one-quarter, and it drops to the halfway point after about 12 hours of listening. To recharge, you connect it to a cable that then connects to a standalone USB charger or a USB port on your computer.

Before buying this one, I had a 4GB clip model that it no longer made. That was also by Sony, it had a reasonably long life, and I was happy enough with it to look at Sony again when I wanted to replace it.

I don't know what your requirements are, but if I've left anything out, ask me and I'll help if I can.

I'd like to know what other suggestions are posted, for the day when my current player eventually dies!
-Erin

Carolin
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Carolin » April 29th, 2015, 2:44 am

i have an ipod [nano, 7th generation]. i usually avoid apple products, but i was really happy with my previous one until it died (after five or six years) so i went to get a newer version. it is a bit expensive and as i said, an apple, but otherwise i can recommend it.
Carolin

Challenge and surprise yourself in 2020, adopt a text from Book suggestions!