Please Recommend a MP3 Player [BOUGHT]

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Steampunk

Post by Steampunk » May 11th, 2009, 12:01 pm

Sadly (IMO) iPOD has become a generic term for MP3 players.

I have a Sanza SanDisk player w/ 512MB of memory. I think they retail for well under $100, as do similar players. It meets all my needs.

That's as far as I can go with a "recommendation," except that pretty much any MP3 player will do, and as long as it has a standard 1/8" earphone jack should work in your car just fine.

Jim
There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise.
-- Gore Vidal

bridgester

Post by bridgester » May 11th, 2009, 12:08 pm

I use the Cowon iAudio 7, it's been great with audio books, and it's ultra easy to add files since it's just a drag & drop system. I have the 4 GB, and I've been seeing it going for about $90.
[url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=3584][color=#b052e7]Bridgester's LV Projects[/color][/url]

Claire

Post by Claire » May 11th, 2009, 12:14 pm

I have 2 Sansa players (different models) and love both of mine. I always have 2 books going on each one. I asked here at LV when I was ready to purchase and Sansa was the brand I was referred to most often. :) And, yes, they're very reasonable. :D

I'm also able to 'drag and drop' on these players

Starlite

Post by Starlite » May 11th, 2009, 12:18 pm

I also have 2 sansa players. One is the C150 and the other is C200...

I use one for proof listening and the other for pleasure listening.

Love the drag and drop features. No extra software needed.

Esther :D
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw

Claire

Post by Claire » May 11th, 2009, 12:31 pm

Mine are a C250 and an M240. The C250 was a Christmas gift. I actually bought the M240 as a factory refurb for $9.99. It works as well as my C250 although with less storage space.

icyjumbo

Post by icyjumbo » May 11th, 2009, 12:32 pm

I'll speak up for iPods, then. I use an ipod nano. I download my Librivox books as a podcast, which then treats them essentially as audiobooks. It remembers where I got to, and restarts where I left off.

The smart playlists in iTunes are a great way to organize my reading/listening. I have one called Librivox that I point my current book at, and it just works.

The controls are good too.

When I first started listening to podcasts, I used a Shuffle, set not to randomize the playlists. If you only want it for listening to books, that might also be a good solution.

Lucy_k_p

Post by Lucy_k_p » May 11th, 2009, 1:16 pm

I have a Samsung YP-U2 Media Player I was given for Christmas around 5 years ago. It's got a quite large storage capacity (512 mb) and begins playing from where you last left off. It plugs into my computer via USB to charge - it's the size of a flash drive. I've never had any problems with it.

Although it does list tracks in purely alpha-numeric order, and it came with a disc of things I had to install, including a music player for your computer, which you then have to use to transfer your files to the player. So it sounds more complicated than these other ones listed, although I think it was probably cheaper as well. (I just checked, the kind I have is top of the list on Amazon (searching yp u2), for £13, used and new.)
So little space, so much to say.

Cori
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Cori » May 11th, 2009, 1:37 pm

I have a refurbed Sansa (e260, mebbe ... it's downstairs and I'm up.) With an 8GB memory card, it's the best thing I've ever had.

That said, for some years I used unbranded plain MP3 players, running on an AAA battery, with 1-2GB memory, and they mostly worked fine, starting up where they left off, and playing in order. The important thing with those was to be able to organise books within folders, as I had one player which didn't support folders, and so played all the Chapter 1s it could find, then all the Chapter 2s (I passed that one onto a friend asap!) With folders, it's all good, flexible, and even 1GB would fit most 64kbps-rate books with a bit of relaxing music on the side.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!

BellonaTimes

Post by BellonaTimes » May 11th, 2009, 5:07 pm

I use USB sticks for my OTR collection. I fit 120 Jack Benny programs on one Logitech 1GB stick for instance, and play it on a Phillips docker that Walmart carries for about $100. Gadget plays most formats: USB flash drives, iPod, Mp3 players, plus it has a clock/radio. Bass sound is a bit heavy for my needs but it's a nifty item to have. I have also seen a boombox that plays USB flash.

I save my LV and radio dramas on CDRs and play them on the computer, also will play on certain all-format DVD machines. Mp3-playing boomboxes are rare; CVS carries one by I think Emerson. Mostly you see these players in the portable format, like a Discman anymore. Everybody is switching to digital at an alarming rate.
They call me Threadkiller.
My Catalog Page

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo » May 11th, 2009, 8:22 pm

I'm a fan of the Creative Zen players. They come in a variety of price ranges, including very inexpensive refurbished players, and are compatible with a good range of file types. All the Zens organize your files by author/artist and album/book and will remember where you left off or if you want to listen to something else, you can set a bookmark where you left off if you stop in the middle of a chapter.

As far as the "iPOD" jack for the CD player in your car, it should be a standard headphone jack, so you would just need to pick up a cable with a 3.5 mm male plug on both ends. Plug one end into the headphone jack on any mp3 player and the other into the CD player to listen through your car speakers.
Jo
My Librivox Solos
Books are the carriers of civilization. Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill. - Barbara Tuchman

storycollector

Post by storycollector » May 11th, 2009, 9:10 pm

I use USB flash sticks for taking my LV books, otr, and music to work and listen on my computer. I have two 2GB, two 4GB, and one 8GB flash sticks and I keep different things on each. They're getting cheaper all the time. I picked up my last 4GB at Walmart for $14.99 (it's a SanDisk).

In my car I only have a cd player, which is fine with me. I still like making mix cds :D I consider choosing the right songs to fit my mood an art form.

The only time I listen to anything "on the move" is on my walks when I listen to LV. I picked up a Creative Zen Stone on sale cheap at Target. You just plug the USB into the computer and move files back and forth like a drive - no extra software. Space isn't an issue for me. I just move short stories and book chapters on and off before I leave for my walk. You can't make playlists (that I know of). It just plays in folder/file order. If I want to listen to a particular short story first, I just move it onto the player then rename it 01 - orig filename, so it pops to the top.

Btw, I still buy complete cds as well. I'm old fashioned. I like the feel of buying an "album". I like liner notes and album art.
Last edited by storycollector on May 14th, 2009, 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

russiandoll

Post by russiandoll » May 12th, 2009, 12:07 am

knotyouraveragejo wrote:I'm a fan of the Creative Zen players.
Yep, I get along very well with my little 4-gig Creative Zen Stone Plus, though I have no experience of other players to compare it with.
English is the lingua franca par excellence

aravis

Post by aravis » May 12th, 2009, 5:27 am

I use my ipod (its an ipod nano with 8 GB) as well as my iphone for listening and I find them very satifactory.
The sound is great, the display too and its pretty easy to handle.
In fact I've had my ipod (it was an ipod mini before) for over 4 years now and never had the slightest kind of problem.

Hope I could be of help.
Elli

"Tiefer und tiefer zogen die Buchstaben ihn hinab, wie ein Strudel aus Tinte...dorthin wo auch Staubfinger verschwunden war. An den Ort, an dem alle Geschichten enden." (Cornelia Funke)