equipment woes

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
kayray

Post by kayray »

Yesterday I had the house to myself for a few hours so I recorded three chapters of Heidi and one of my History of England sections. Today I started to edit them and I find that I've got some kind of mic malfunction. I'm getting peaky-sounding distortion all over the place, even though I'm not peaking and I didn't change any settings or do anything different with these recent recordings. ARGH.

Luckily I have a spare MacMice USB mic, which picks up just a little more computer hum than my Logitech but it's good enough. Sounds a little different than the Logitech, too, which is a bummer for my solo project. I'm looking at a good 2.5 hours of re-recording, _if_ I get the quiet time I need. Grrrrr.

Oh yeah, I can no longer record in the closet because a VERY loud computer lives in there now. Sounds like a jet engine.
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

I can't help but wonder if you didn't manage to get a little spit into the Logitech mic. That would cause the symptoms you're describing, though it's not the only thing that would. Still it seems pretty likely, if this problem appeared all of a sudden and you can't think of anything that might have caused it.

The good news? Once it evaporates, the mic should work normally again.

Sorry to hear about the jet engine in your closet... one of those Dell GX260s?
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.
~Mark Twain
kayray

Post by kayray »

Good to know --- I'll wait a few days and then test that mic again!

The jet engine in the closet is our family backup server/firewall/file storage box. It's a former rackmount server, a dual opteron with six hard drives and twelve fans. Our OLD backup server lived in the bedroom but I can't sleep through the noise of this one so I banished it to the closet :)
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

When I get the new house in Spartanburg, I'm planning on setting up an outbuilding specifically for the computers. At least I shouldn't have to worry about heating it in the winter!
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.
~Mark Twain