Homemade "english" muffins

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
bublsort

Post by bublsort »

hefyd wrote:They look really good ! I've never seen a home-made crumpet before - I think I'll have a go. By the way, do our N. American friends know what 'crumpet' can also mean, or at least used to mean about 40 years ago ? hefyd
indeed. wikipedia actually says it is "a rather dated term for a woman regarded as an object of desire."

but my husband says this is wrong and it is actually more, uh, specific.
catchpenny

Post by catchpenny »

Ruth, did you use crumpet rings at all, or is that like a thicker pancake?
Anyone can read accurately. [i]I[/i] read with great expression.
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

bublsort wrote:indeed. wikipedia actually says it is "a rather dated term for a woman regarded as an object of desire."
I thought that was a strumpet.
Laurie Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

No , crumpets are free and probably/possibly unattainable . strumpets cost :D

Anne
Last edited by annise on January 31st, 2009, 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

bublsort wrote:indeed. wikipedia actually says it is "a rather dated term for a woman regarded as an object of desire."
That does indeed sound rather more charming than my perception, which is more like a 'bit of fluff' or 'totty'.

cf in Delaney's 'A Taste of Honey' "He's gone off with his bit of crumpet."

Somewhat more charming is the "thinking man's crumpet" referring to any woman who is intelligent and good looking. Wikipedia made me laugh with the "sinking man's crumpet" for Kate Winslet. :lol:

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
Steampunk

Post by Steampunk »

hefyd wrote:They look really good ! I've never seen a home-made crumpet before - I think I'll have a go. By the way, do our N. American friends know what 'crumpet' can also mean, or at least used to mean about 40 years ago ? hefyd
Actually, the sexual meaning is the only one I'd ever been exposed to (pardon the pun) well into my adulthood, thanks to Monty Pyton and other such. I suspect this is true of many in the US, at least within a certain demographic.

Even then, until I'd actually travelled to the UK, I didn't really know what one was, except that it's generally served with tea (or is it at tea? whatever...)

I'm curious, though, as to the slangy origins. Is it a food-sex linkage (like tart), or mabye it's similarity to "strumpet"?

Jim
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

Steampunk wrote:Even then, until I'd actually travelled to the UK, I didn't really know what one was, except that it's generally served with tea (or is it at tea? whatever...)
Or both... :)
Karen S.
catchpenny

Post by catchpenny »

Hey, Hey, I'm trying to ask a serious question here.
Ruth, did you use crumpet rings at all, or is that like a thicker pancake?
Anyone can read accurately. [i]I[/i] read with great expression.
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

catchpenny wrote:Ruth, did you use crumpet rings at all, or is that like a thicker pancake?
Sorry, I missed that. Well... the thing is... I didn't have any crumpet rings, and I could only find one fried egg ring (though I was sure I had three once). So I had to use the metal cutters I use to make scones and biscuits (er, cookies to you lot over there), which is why all the crumpets were different sizes. :lol:

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding