One Book a Week Club, 2009

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

I'm re-reading Thomas Pynchon's V again, and finding myself reading parts of it aloud to myself (sad, I know). Pynchon would be great in audio. Plenty of weird characters, prose interspersed with poems and songs, some dialogue written in script form... almost makes one sad that it's not PD. :)
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

Yikes, for a change I am keeping up with reading... must be the whole living away from home and trying to keep my mind off reality thing.

For additional reviews, please see my GoodReads profile: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/2853825.Betsie_Bush

LibriVox Audio:
The Flaming Jewel (LibriVox Audio) by Robert W. Chambers
The Adventures of Maya the Bee (LibriVox Audio) by Waldemar Bonsels
A Room with a View (LibriVox Audio) by E.M. Forster
What Diantha Did (LibriVox Audio) by Charlotte Perkins Gilman

Really Liked:
Sunrise Over Fallujah by Walter Dean Myers
Hoot by Carl Hiaasen
The Giver by Lois Lowry
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Loving Frank by Nancy Horan
Portrait of an Unknown Woman by Vanora Bennett

Just So-So:
Suite Française by Irène Némirovsky
Little Heathens: Hard Times and High Spirits on an Iowa Farm During the Great Depression by Mildred Armstrong Kalish
B.P.M.: Beats Per Minute by Paul Sizer
American Widow by Alissa Torres
Anticraft: Knitting, Beading, and Stitching for the Slightly Sinister by Renee Rigdon
A Slight Trick of the Mind by Mitch Cullin
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!
aravis

Post by aravis »

I really like the idea. So count me in too... As far as I've kept track I've read this year:

1. Deeper by Jeff Long: Good but with a rather strange ending
2. Just another kid by Torey Hayden: interesting
3. Twilight children by Torey Hayden: interesting but it's always the same
4. Brisingr by Christopher Paolini: Great, much better than Eldest
5. Heartstopper by Joy Fielding: good
6. Glück ich sehe dich anders by Melanie Ahrens: didn't like that one, too depressing
7. Spuren im Schnee by Julie Hill: didn't like that one either
8. Twilight by Stephanie Meyer: ok but not as good as I would have expected given the hype
9. New Moon by Stephanie Meyer: liked that one better than Twilight (finally the story starts to get interesting)
10. Eclipse by Stephanie Meyer: good
11. Breaking dawn by Stephanie Meyer: good
12. Change of Heart by Jodi Picoult: Great, one of my favs
13. Copycat by Gillian White: Great, must have read it a 100 times
14. The probable Future by Alice Hoffman: Great but a little strange (will def. reread it some time)
15. Tintenblut by Cornelia Funke: Great, one of my favs
16. Tintenherz by Cornelia Funke: Great, one of my favs
17. Tintentod by Cornelia Funke: Great, one of my favs
18. A thousand splendid suns by Khaled Hosseini: Good

Just started Host by Stephanie Meyer.

My all time favs are: A song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin, The Harry Potter series, Angela's Ashes by Frank Mc Court, everything by Frances H. Burnett...
Elli

"Tiefer und tiefer zogen die Buchstaben ihn hinab, wie ein Strudel aus Tinte...dorthin wo auch Staubfinger verschwunden war. An den Ort, an dem alle Geschichten enden." (Cornelia Funke)
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Just finished The Fight for English by David Crystal. Highly recommended.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
Robinsgirl

Post by Robinsgirl »

Well, my friends made a fools bet. They recieved a summer reading list, and they were having a contest to see who could read the most books off the list over the summer. This games tarted a week ago. The winner gets to Saran Wrap the losers to a tree and throw water ballons at them. Well, we decided on the books we want to read. We started with Call of the Wild. I let them pick since I want in the class. I read call of the wild in four hours, but they finished not to far behind. Now we're reading "The Yearling" wich i am enjoying. I'm on chapter 19. I am soooo going to win!!!
Robert Frost is my hero!
anoldfashiongirl

Post by anoldfashiongirl »

LOL That's so funny! Keep us informed Robin, so we can see how far you're ahead. :mrgreen:

So far I'm 27 books into my goal of 100 books in 2009. 8-) I would probably be higher but I've had a lot happen since January and June.
~~~ Jami ~~~

Your Life is an occasion, rise to it.
- Mr. Magorium

Signature Loading
(89%/100)
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Cori

Post by Cori »

We've just ticked over halfway, I think this is about week 28 ... people aiming for a book a week should be about on 27-28 by now, book a monthers should have done 6 and be starting no. 7. :D

How's everyone doing..? I'm still on track for a Book a Week this year, although my reading is really going in fits and bursts: hardly touch a book for a fortnight or more, and then a lazy Sunday doing nothing but read!
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
aravis

Post by aravis »

Update on my reading so far:

19. Clover by Susan Coolidge: great book
20. Thrid Degree by Greg Iles: great book, author is one of my favs.
21. What happened to Nancy by anonymus: ok
22. Miriam's song by Miriam Mathabane als told to Mark Mathabane: good
23. Kaffir Boy by Mark Mathabane: great
24. Where are you now? by Mary Higgins Clark: good, author is one of my favs.
25. Host by Stephanie Meyer: never finished reading that one, the Twilight series was great but I couldn't get through this one

Guess I'm a little behind with my reading. :)

Elli :D
Elli

"Tiefer und tiefer zogen die Buchstaben ihn hinab, wie ein Strudel aus Tinte...dorthin wo auch Staubfinger verschwunden war. An den Ort, an dem alle Geschichten enden." (Cornelia Funke)
AmethystA

Post by AmethystA »

I'm going on holiday and look forward to taking with me a couple of light mysteries! Funny, I've seen several of the Inspector Lynley/Havers shows on PBS. I didn't realize til just a month or so ago that they are a series of books, too....How exciting, a new series of books to explore!

I'm listening to With No One as Witness. I may try and get the first one in the series for holiday...we'll see.
Bloom where you’re planted!
Cori

Post by Cori »

Mmm, cool, adding Juan Rulfo to my booklist. I find it hard to know who to read when I get outside my little sphere of knowledge around of Anglo-US victorian-era authors.

203 pages by Monday morning ... that's some serious reading going on there!
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
anoldfashiongirl

Post by anoldfashiongirl »

Found this on the 2nd page.

BUMP
~~~ Jami ~~~

Your Life is an occasion, rise to it.
- Mr. Magorium

Signature Loading
(89%/100)
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Cori

Post by Cori »

Thanks, Jami! I am reading fit to burst this year, it's been fantastic. I love reading anyway, but it's been quite nice to have a choice of occupations and choose the reading because I can notch off another number here, as well as engulfing more marvellous text. I wouldn't say this challenge is the ONLY reason I'm reading, but it does encourage me a lot.
Cori

Post by Cori »

WHOOHOO! I've hit 52!!

Actually, it's a bit more than that, but I've not decided yet how to count Snicket's Unfortunate Events series which I'm reading ... they're short enough to read in a couple of hours and it seems a bit cheaty to include them as books. But I guess they even out the mehusive (and marvellous) Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell which I've been reading for about 18 months now.