Getting fit

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
pberinstein

Post by pberinstein »

I've gotten into a routine like Gesine's. Every other day, I get out of bed and go straight to the treadmill. I'm not allowed to turn on the computer until I'm done. I'm exercising for so long now that I get really impatient, so I'm going to get an MP3 player and listen to podcasts to take my mind off the exercise. It's too hot to wear the earpiece, so I'll just put the player close by and listen through the speaker. I can't be too loud or I'll disturb my husband, who's usually still sleeping early in the morning, or my neighbor, whose bedroom wall is about 25 or 30 feet away. (The soundproofing here is good, but not infallible.)

I've been telling myself that if I stay in shape, I'll avoid doctor visits, physical therapy, and a host of other problems. Watching my husband's mother barely able to hobble around in her last few years convinced me that I need to keep my joints in good shape. Scare tactics aren't always effective, but they do tend to help me.

Anyway, Heather, if you keep posting your progress here, we'll egg you on. That should help.

Paula
Paula B
The Writing Show, where writing is always the story
http://www.writingshow.com
pberinstein

Post by pberinstein »

I was just thinking that there's another strategy that works for me, Heather, but it's a bit of a weird one.

Sometimes I imagine myself quite a bit older looking back at my life. I don't want to have regrets. I don't want to say to myself, "Boy, I wish I'd kept in shape. If I had, I wouldn't have this or that problem now." You can live another 20 or 40 or 60 years just the way you are now, or you can live the same amount of time and accomplish what you want to accomplish. I choose the latter.

This little trick may show what a warped mind I have, or it may help, or both.
Paula B
heatherausten

Post by heatherausten »

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. Your advice (and threats, ha, ha) have gotten me very enthusiastic. I just returned back from my first walk and have a promise from my sister for a partner on Saturday.) I'll keep you updated. :D
~Heather~
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Great, Heather! It's good to hear that.

No scraping of walls for me today so I might just do something later, too! :)
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
pberinstein

Post by pberinstein »

Yay Heather! Way to go!

Paula
Paula B
heatherausten

Post by heatherausten »

Went on my walk today with my sister as planned. Now, on to Monday!
~Heather~
pberinstein

Post by pberinstein »

heatherausten wrote:Went on my walk today with my sister as planned. Now, on to Monday!
Hurray! Are you aiming for every other day now?

Paula
Paula B
heatherausten

Post by heatherausten »

pberinstein wrote:Hurray! Are you aiming for every other day now?

Paula
Yes, that's what I'll be aiming for. :)
~Heather~
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

It's Monday where I am... make sure you post, Heather! :) How was the walk with your sister? Is she coming out again?
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
pberinstein

Post by pberinstein »

Boy, yesterday I really overdid it. I did 80 minutes on the treadmill, and a few hours later I conked out. I'm still tired today. I guess it's partly overwork because on Friday I did 79 minutes and felt fine. Hard to believe that one extra minute could break the camel's back.

Paula
Paula B
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

It might have been a cumulative effect as well... I know that sometimes the first time I increase, I feel great, no trouble, but the second time with the same time everything goes pear-shaped. Still, persevere and after a few goes you'll probably be okay... 90 minutes, wowee! :) Well done, Paula.
heatherausten

Post by heatherausten »

Wow, Paula, 90 minutes! :o I'd be falling over for sure by then. I agree with Gesine that cumulitive effect can definately take a toll on you.

I'm going on my walk in the next hour or two. My sister's invited, but she started back at school today after a week's break, so she may not have the time. Hopefully, if she comes it'll go well. I enjoyed the walk on Saturday, but she's more in shape than me and has longer legs, so I was out of breath quite often.
~Heather~
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

That's great, Heather. Being out of breath occasionally is not *such* a bad thing, although better to slow down so that you can talk comfortably (whilst still working up a sweat).

Soon you can work some running intervals into your walk! :) But do it at your own pace. Many people who do the 10 week program repeat weeks. It's all about individual comfort zones - our bodies are usually quite good at telling us what to do, I think.

What do you do when you walk? Do you listen to anything, or do you just walk on and dream and/or think?
heatherausten

Post by heatherausten »

My Monday walk is complete. My sister was able to go with me (not too much homework). :)

Gesine, I'm trying to not set too quick of a pace, and my sister is easy going about slowing down if I need to. Today felt a bit better-- I think I only needed to stop twice to get a breath. I think I did a better job of setting the pace today, too.

When I'm with my sister, we generally talk. When I'm by myself, right now, I've just been thinking and enjoying the scenery. Sometimes in the past, I've brought music, but my music player is a bit tricky to carry, so I'm not attempting to bring it lately.

About the jogging intervals, I think I'll get into them in another week or two. Right now I'm getting comfortable with the general execise routine. Hopefully that will get comfortable here in the near future and I can start up with the jogging!
~Heather~
pberinstein

Post by pberinstein »

How hilly is your route, Heather?

Paula
Paula B