Editing Marathon

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

kri wrote: Thanks for the encouragement Betsie :) How's it going with the few that you needed to edit?
You're welcome... I'm still at work, so maybe tonight I'll be able to work on some editing ... look forward to working with you this weekend on cataloging too =)
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!
kri

Post by kri »

thistlechick wrote: You're welcome... I'm still at work, so maybe tonight I'll be able to work on some editing ... look forward to working with you this weekend on cataloging too =)
Me too : ) Now I'll be able to see the other half of the meta-coordinator's job.

Post by Guest »

kri wrote:
pberinstein wrote: The only problem is that my wrist starts hurting when I do it a lot.
I have the wrist problem with editing too, although I use the computer quite a bit so..that contributes to it as well.
I got a digital tablet for my holiday present. I wanted one for a while, as I'm an artist, and I thought it would be much easier than working with a mouse...

But I've found that the pen (it comes with both a mouse and pen) is actually much more comfortable to use than a mouse, across all applications. It's faster, and easier. I haven't had wrist cramping or snapping or numbing or such bother since I got it. It's awesome.

For LibriVox, it's particularly handy during editing and such, where all the repetitive selecting would put extra strain on your wrist.

They say a digital tablet is a great choice for those with special needs, carpal tunnel, repetitive strain problems, and so on, and now it's very obvious why. Even if I didn't art, this baby would be the most treasured part of my computer. :)

I mention it for those of you, like me, who live on the computer; it might be something you could use. And love. :P
marlodianne

Post by marlodianne »

Dang it. That guest is me. I suppose I took long typing, and that ^&%*$%$% forum logged me out.
Marlo Dianne
Writer, Artist, Wondergeek
forbiddendragon.blogspot.com

"We live as though the world was as it should be, to show it what it can be." --Angel
kri

Post by kri »

Anonymous wrote:
kri wrote:
pberinstein wrote: The only problem is that my wrist starts hurting when I do it a lot.
I have the wrist problem with editing too, although I use the computer quite a bit so..that contributes to it as well.
I got a digital tablet for my holiday present. I wanted one for a while, as I'm an artist, and I thought it would be much easier than working with a mouse...

But I've found that the pen (it comes with both a mouse and pen) is actually much more comfortable to use than a mouse, across all applications. It's faster, and easier. I haven't had wrist cramping or snapping or numbing or such bother since I got it. It's awesome.

For LibriVox, it's particularly handy during editing and such, where all the repetitive selecting would put extra strain on your wrist.

They say a digital tablet is a great choice for those with special needs, carpal tunnel, repetitive strain problems, and so on, and now it's very obvious why. Even if I didn't art, this baby would be the most treasured part of my computer. :)

I mention it for those of you, like me, who live on the computer; it might be something you could use. And love. :P
Thanks for that Marlo :) I really would love love love a drawing tablet. I'm an on again off again artist myself, and I've drooled over them for a while. I can see how using the pen would help make it better.

Unfortunately my situation is made worse, because our stupid keyboard drawer isn't made wide enough to fit the mouse and mousepad on it. We have to put it on top of the desk, which is a bit higher. This makes it a bit more of a strain. Ah well.
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

You might want to try a trackball instead of a mouse, Kristin. I've been using them for years and have found them MUCH easier to work with. Plus they take up a lot less space on your desk - you might be able to fit one onto the keyboard shelf, since the thing doesn't need to be moved around in order to be functional.
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.
~Mark Twain
RobertG

Post by RobertG »

My first computer experience was in 1980 on an IBM mainframe-based CAD system. The model 2250 user workstation consisted of a black & white monitor built into the table, a 32-key function box operated by the left hand, a light pen that you stabbed into the monitor screen to make selections or indicate position and (I kid you not) a pedal you operated under the table.

Times have changed but, after twenty-five years, I have no computer-related physical ailments.

All of my work is done on a notebook computer. But I use a docking station most of the time and an external ergonomic MS keyboard. My mouse is optical (I long ago gave up on the idea of cleaning lint out of a mechanical ball) and it is also ergonomic. I need a 3-button mouse for my CAD application, so a pen is ruled out. The mouse (a Logitech) also has a scroll wheel and programmable buttons on the side.

Here's my point in going into all that detail:

The mouse, the keyboard and the display are your interface points into a computer. What you use for these interfaces is going to play a role (or place a toll) on your experience and on your body. If you are a very casual user, you can get by with the cheaper spread.

But if you are using your computer more than four hours per day, you need to pay attention to these interface points and spend the extra bucks to upgrade them as necessary. It's a small price to pay to decrease fatigue and forestall physical ailment.

Don't be afraid to try something different, such as the trackball mouse Chip has suggested or the y-shaped keyboard that I use. At first, they will seem awkward but humans are remarkably adaptable and it won't be long before you are proficient and suffering less.

If the furniture you use does not support an ergonomic experience, get rid of it and get something different that does work. I use a simple worktable and not a "specialized" computer workstation with sliding keyboard drawers. Adjusted to the right height and with a proper chair, it makes a world of difference. Yes, there is a cost associated with all this but there is a different cost that comes with not doing anything about it.

Finally, don't forget about using accelerator keys when working in your applications. I teach applications, so I've logged many hours observing others. Often times, I've watched users treeing down repetitively through menus in order to get to a tool they commonly use. If you find yourself doing this, then take the time to set up a short-cut to that tool and thereby cut out the repitition. Any application worth its salt will also allow you to assign accelerator keys (e.g. Ctrl+L) to common tasks. This saves a lot of wear and tear.

And don't forget about the accelerators that are always there, patiently waiting for you to use them: Ctrl+C for copy, Ctrl+V for paste, Home to reach the start of a line, End to reach the end of a line. These should work in your audio editior, too, depending on what program you use. I tend to toss out programs that are not compliant with programming accelerator keys or allowing custom toolbar set up.

Consider these things and you'll soon find that your computing experience is not trashing your limbs, digits and eyes.

And then you too can compose 2,000 word essays on a message board in comfort.

RobertG wrote:And then you too can compose 2,000 word essays...
Okay, maybe I exaggerate! :lol:
[size=92]http://climber53.com
[i]a one thin dime production[/i][/size]
[size=75][color=blue]-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-[/color]
[url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/RobertGarrison]project status is in the wiki[/url][/size]
kri

Post by kri »

Thank you for the tips Robert and Chip. I really do need to get a better keyboard and mouse option, but we really don't have a whole lot of money right now. We can afford the keyboard and mouse, but furniture is a whole nother matter. We don't even have a couch :)

And I know what you say is true, I'm just such a spendthrift. Perhaps I should think of asking for computer related accessories for my birthday instead of yarn.

I'm kind of unsure about the trackball mouses. I've used them before, and I just don't feel the right control. Perhaps it was the shape of the one that I used that was the problem. I don't know.