Modern books that you wish we could record.

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
KATWAL

Post by KATWAL »

Thought of another one.

Flute of the Smoking Mirror by Frances Gillmor

gives great insight into the ancient Aztecs

Kathy
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

The Little Prince has always been one of my favourites (in any language). We did a version of it at the local theatre and I got to play the fox. Great fun!
Karen S.
shortcircuit

Post by shortcircuit »

Hm.... Wistful thinking...

I'd love to read:

Chronicles of Narnia by CS Lewis
The Once and Future King by TH White
the short story Sonata for Harp and Bicycle by Joan Aiken
Any of the books by Patricia C. Wrede....
- Maria
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

shortcircuit wrote:Hm.... Wistful thinking...

I'd love to read:

Chronicles of Narnia by CS Lewis
The Once and Future King by TH White
the short story Sonata for Harp and Bicycle by Joan Aiken
Any of the books by Patricia C. Wrede....
I Actualy broke down and bought (YES BOUGHT) the audio books for the whole Narnia series! :D
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

When I was still teaching, we had a twenty minute homeroom period that was usually a reading period (unless admin had papers for us to hand out).
They were supposed to read quietly to themselves, but once a week I would read aloud to my kids, and the first year I did this I read them the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. These were tenth graders (age 15 or so), and they loved it!
Karen S.
anna

Post by anna »

"Soldaat van Oranje" by Erik Hazelhoff Roelzema
Literal translation is Soldier of Orange.

It's the autobiography of Erik H. Roelzema of what he did during the second world war.
He almost single handedly set up the english side of the Dutch resistance, became a Mosquito pilot for a pathfinder squadron and ended up being the aide of the Dutch Queen at the time.
Masyukun

Post by Masyukun »

Piano: Guided Sight-Reading, by Leonhard Deutsch (1959)
Fundamentalisms, ed. by Christopher H. Partridge
All of Robert Heinlein and Isaac Asmiov's novels.
Reading is thinking with someone else's head instead of one's own.
shortcircuit

Post by shortcircuit »

I thought of another one. Or five, actually.

Susan Cooper's the Dark is Rising sequence.

I loved that series from start to finish.... and I still cry at the ending.
- Maria
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Yes, I loved The Dark is Rising, and I, too, cried for the lost love and the gift of forgetfulness. I think my favourite was the one set in Wales ... straight from the Mabinogion and the White Goddess.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

shortcircuit wrote: and I still cry at the ending.
Peter wrote: and I, too, cried for the lost love and the gift of forgetfulness

WOW I love that I'm not the only one who cries when they read. And MEN TOO!! :)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
strangebrooch

Post by strangebrooch »

I sorely regret that 1066 and All That was published just a few years too late (i.e., in 1930) to be in the public domain. I have a faintly unhealthy love for that book.
[size=84]For if hevene be on this erthe, and ese to any soule,
It is in cloister or in scole, by many skiles I fynde.
-- William Langland, [i]Piers Plowman[/i] X.299-300
http://www.dsproductions.org
[/size]
Cloud Mountain

Post by Cloud Mountain »

Re: Tao Te Ching

I'm never sure if comments like the one's that follow should go here or should be directed elsewhere. Anyway...

The following is both informative and contains opinion.

There are several translations of the Tao Te Ching that are no longer under copyright, but I don't believe any are of worth to produce (except as curiosities, as we are very quite grateful for them as pioneering/introducing words.*) [Is anyone cringing yet?] Such translations were inspired when the "West" was first introduced to this classic (Ching/Jing) and so tell us more about the viewpoints of the translators than of the mother lode within the the work itself --the original text. Many are infused with Western religious notions. Now after 150+ years of Easter studies, we have a much better idea of the Tao Te Ching in an historical and cross-cultural perspective. Which is to say, that this book would be best done in the original language but I doubt anyone but a scholar could do that, as our guess at the language as written is speculative.

Yes, this might raise the ugly head of censorship and maybe its cousin elitism. But I think that a knee jerk reaction and I hope to explain why. We choose to read here those books we're interested in. Some we can?t relate to while others are beacons. I for one wouldn't want to be part of a project that might start a new cycle of misunderstandings of this profound work of cultural genius, which is to say it was probably not written by a single person (referred to as Lao Tse) but is but the captured wisdom of a very old Chinese tradition (4000-2500 past.) At the same time I would believe such a project to be a waste of both the . Even if we were in 100% agreement, how might we judge the worthiness of a translation of an alien language? The only reason James Legge?s translations of the Chinese classics are still around is because they ARE in the public domain and so are a publisher?s free ride --except for production costs.

Translations into English (or any other language) that are contemporary translations are most likely true to the original, as they more often than not speak to the listener and are for the most part a good listening of the original, as they are usually done with the ?authors? approval. I think we can allow ourselves to be safely judgmental about this. Most of the works available here are in the original language and volunteers at LibriVox are rightfully non-judgmental about them. Different strokes, etc. The King James Version of the Bible, for instance IS a great work of translation. (Billy Shakespeare himself worked on it.) AND it is also 300 years part of our cultural heritage. Many of us memorized portions of it in childhood and beyond.

Yawn.

Okay. I'm prepared. Send your responses.

* I'm also thinking of those translations of Asian texts read by the American transcendentalists. Emerson, et al, had some small inkling of what was going on there, but he was often way off base and did much to promote misunderstandings for a century or more afterwards.)
[url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=254]Alan's LV catalog[/url]
shortcircuit

Post by shortcircuit »

Odd_Bloke wrote:
  • Most of C.S. Forester's stuff (mainly the Hornblower series).
    Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series (the basis of "Master & Commander" starring Russell Crowe)
    Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe series
Can you see what kinda fiction I like yet? :P

Dan
Hornblower!

Hehe.... I love all those books you listed!
- Maria
kayray

Post by kayray »

All 4 Mary Poppins books! Also published just a few years too late. Sigh.

I'm devoted to The Dark is Rising series. My favorites are the first three books, and especially "The Dark is Rising". I read it every year around Christmas :) My dad discovered the series, actually. I vividly remember him sitting, reading, and suddenly saying "Hey, kids, this is a great book!" and he read us the scene where Will wakes early on his birthday, leaves the house, and everything is different... Ooooooo chills!
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
shortcircuit

Post by shortcircuit »

The first one I read was the Grey King. I was walking around in the children's section of my library and I thought it looked interesting. I was hooked as soon I read it and had to search for the other books in the series. I love interlibrary loan.

My favorite book of the series is probably Silver on the Tree. I love it even though it still makes me cry. I even started learning Welsh because of it (I still have the program somewhere....)
- Maria