Modern books that you wish we could record.

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
marlodianne

Post by marlodianne »

Peter, it was supposed to be disjointed. The conceit is that it's the super-condensed good parts version, remember? :P

I admit, it's long been my favourite movie, with so many great lines and a fantastic cast. It was one of the first movies I bought (Highlander being the very first), and I own the VHS and the special edition dvd. :)

I didn't manage to score a copy of the book until years later, and the book is a bit different, sure, but I still enjoyed it. It has some laughs that the movie doesn't. Like the editor bits.

But mainly, the book still has some of the best lines, including, of course, Inigo's, which I have been quoting and loving most my life. So it's like Shakespeare, but more people know it ;)
Marlo Dianne
Writer, Artist, Wondergeek
forbiddendragon.blogspot.com

"We live as though the world was as it should be, to show it what it can be." --Angel
marlodianne

Post by marlodianne »

Then the Winnie the Pooh and the Peter Pan.

I've got an actual *great* translation of the Odyssey I'd love to do. It's actually in verse and everything.

Also, The Metamorphosis, of course.

And, if I was to pick some more recent titles, I'd be all over James Alan Gardner and Robin Hobb.

Of course, with Hobb, you got the 9 book Fitz and Fool series, but she completely tanked the ending, *embarrassingly* hideously tanked the ending, so I say we rip that bit out and just do the rest. :P

And let's not forget Harry Potter...
Marlo Dianne

"We live as though the world was as it should be, to show it what it can be." --Angel
aileron

Post by aileron »

murakami! :wink:
edith hamilton's mythology
Izze

Post by Izze »

Peter Why wrote:Izze, what did you think of the fourth Earthsea book? I read it once, long after reading the trilogy, and can't remember anything about it, and have no urge to read it again: it made no impression on me whatsoever.
The fourth one was the collection of short stories, not Tehanu. A lot of people get that wrong, I know that. Tehanu doesn't make much sense unless you've read the short stories (On Dragon's Wings I think it was called. I don't know, it's my father that owns the series, not me.).

Tehanu is REALLY good... but only if you have the rest of the series to compare it to. You would also want to read the entire series at the same time, because otherwise you lose the connection with the characters that is needed, in Tehanu especially.

But I know what you mean about not having an impression, Tehanu is the last book in the series, and it was the first book of the series I read because I thought the cover was shinier than the others (my father owns the original edition prints), so I didn't bother with them. :lol: I was such a picky reader as a child.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

LOVE LOVE LOVE

Neal Stephenson : Snow Crash, Cryptonomicon
Orson Scott Card : Enders Game
China Mi?ville : Perdido Street Station
Stem Nadolny : The Discovery of Slowness

Christiane Zschirnt : Books (aka Libros, aka B?cher) (its not the typical kind of book-canon, its cool and kinda belongs here; miss zschirnt likes our project, but her publisher would never allow us)

NOT: Douglas Adams : Last Chance to See (nobody could do as good as Douglas himself did)
[url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/PromotionalMaterial][color=indigo]Want to promote LV? Print the poster and pin it at your library[/color][/url] | [url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/Stephan_Moebius][color=indigo]My wiki page[/color][/url]
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

thistlechick wrote:
LibraryLady wrote:...100 Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez...
I agree
heatherausten

Post by heatherausten »

Okay, I'll bite:

-Ditto on anything JRR Tolkein
-Robin McKinley's Beauty or the Blue Sword
-Homecoming or Dicey's Song by Cynthia Voigt
-A Wrinkle in Time by (of course) Madeline L'Engle
-Ella Enchanted (Gail Carson Levine)
-Dealing with Dragons (Patricia C. Wrede)

Can you tell I like fantasy?
~Heather~
Sadie

Post by Sadie »

(I go to Terry Pratchett for my pleasure)
LOVE Terry Pratchett!!!!

Here is a list of books I'd like to hear read by some of our readers (not necessarily by me :D )

The Carpet People (Terry Pratchett)

I am Legend (Richard Matheson)

Strange Highways (Dean Koontz)

A Boy and His Dog (Harlan Ellison)

History of the Devil (Clive Barker)

Insomnia (Stephen King)

When Nietzsche Wept (Irvin D. Yalom)

I personally would enjoy reading anything from the Anita Blake series by Laurell K. Hamilton
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

Izze wrote:
Peter Why wrote:Izze, what did you think of the fourth Earthsea book? I read it once, long after reading the trilogy, and can't remember anything about it, and have no urge to read it again: it made no impression on me whatsoever.
The fourth one was the collection of short stories, not Tehanu. A lot of people get that wrong, I know that. Tehanu doesn't make much sense unless you've read the short stories (On Dragon's Wings I think it was called. I don't know, it's my father that owns the series, not me.).

Tehanu is REALLY good... but only if you have the rest of the series to compare it to. You would also want to read the entire series at the same time, because otherwise you lose the connection with the characters that is needed, in Tehanu especially.

But I know what you mean about not having an impression, Tehanu is the last book in the series, and it was the first book of the series I read because I thought the cover was shinier than the others (my father owns the original edition prints), so I didn't bother with them. :lol: I was such a picky reader as a child.
I think you might be confusing books..... Tehanu came out after Book 3 (The Farthest Shore), and quite some time before Tales from Earthsea. Then The Other Wind, which is a kind of continuation of the short story you mentioned, came out.

Tehanu was certainly very different from the first three, and I didn't like it as well as either the first three, or Other Wind.

-Catharine
Bronwyn Kate

Post by Bronwyn Kate »

What about Stephen King stories?

I want to make my own pictures in my head.
marlodianne

Post by marlodianne »

Stephen King has done some of his own readings, and that's the best, I think. You can't do better than a passionate author reading you their work.
Marlo Dianne

lonelynocturnal

Post by lonelynocturnal »

The Green Mile, by Stephen King. I would love to do the Southern accents.
It's a great book, very un-Stephen King, except for a very few short parts where he delves into the grisly King-esque horror writing.
Alack and alas, it is of course copyrighted.
BremenThor

Post by BremenThor »

lovecraft of course.. englisch and german
Grass oder auch Eco...
es gibt zu viele gute Autoren
Energy is the only life and is from the Body and Reason is the bound or outward circumference of Energy.
Energy is Eternal Delight.
by W. Blake
purplecow

Post by purplecow »

Ray Bradbury. His short stories would probably be at the top of my list.

Hmm.... what else?

Douglas Adams (hee hee - that'd be fun!)
Haruki Murakami
Salman Rushdie
Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Oh - and the "Burglar" series by Lawrence Block. I actually read one of these books aloud to a visually-impaired friend once, and we both quite enjoyed the experience. Really funny stuff.

Incidentally, does Librivox do Russian books? I have an entirely separate Russian list. :)

LM
kri

Post by kri »

purplecow wrote:Ray Bradbury. His short stories would probably be at the top of my list.

Hmm.... what else?

Douglas Adams (hee hee - that'd be fun!)
Haruki Murakami
Salman Rushdie
Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Oh - and the "Burglar" series by Lawrence Block. I actually read one of these books aloud to a visually-impaired friend once, and we both quite enjoyed the experience. Really funny stuff.

Incidentally, does Librivox do Russian books? I have an entirely separate Russian list. :)

LM
We do any language that a volunteer is willing to record, which has works in the public domain.