Modern books that you wish we could record.

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
emilyrf95

Post by emilyrf95 » June 1st, 2012, 7:25 am

I second the Lord of the Rings and Life of Pi!
I was going to list some more, but then I realized that almost all the books I have read (or can think of at the moment) are already public domain... I think I'm in the right place for reading material. :)
- Emily -

Hobbit

Post by Hobbit » June 10th, 2012, 4:00 pm

Another beautiful non-PD book I wish we could record is The Wheel on the School by Meindart DeJong. We're reading it aloud after dinner at my house right now, and I'm just loving it. It's very sweet. :)
Between being a full-time college student and working 20+ hours per week, I'm not able to be involved at LV these days, but I remain a loyal fan and look forward to a triumphant return sometime in the (probably distant) future.

JohanLiebert

Post by JohanLiebert » June 10th, 2012, 4:32 pm

....and the Tudor Series of Philippa Gregory would have been lovely, imagine the downloads if we have it in our catalogue!
April Gonzales :D
blog

Marie Antoinette & the Downfall of Royalty

I will not be around the forums for quite a time but I'll log-in whenever there's time. Please PM me if you need to talk with me. Thanks!

Animo La Salle!

Cori
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Cori » June 11th, 2012, 2:45 am

Hobbit wrote:Another beautiful non-PD book I wish we could record is The Wheel on the School by Meindart DeJong.
Ooooh, I remember reading that too. Lovely book.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!

tadiau

Post by tadiau » June 15th, 2012, 7:31 am

I would like to listen to some of the books by Bukowski

Peter Why

Post by Peter Why » June 15th, 2012, 10:11 am

Joan Aiken's "The Serial Garden" has just come out. It's a collection of all the Armitage Family stories .. including development of the rather sad Serial Garden story itself.

I'd love to been able to have a go at that.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger

Hobbit

Post by Hobbit » June 16th, 2012, 5:50 pm

Peter Why wrote:Joan Aiken's "The Serial Garden" has just come out. It's a collection of all the Armitage Family stories .. including development of the rather sad Serial Garden story itself.

I'd love to been able to have a go at that.

Peter
I'd love to record everything of Joan Aiken's, especially The Wolves of Willoughby Chase and it's first sequel, Black Hearts in Battersea.
Between being a full-time college student and working 20+ hours per week, I'm not able to be involved at LV these days, but I remain a loyal fan and look forward to a triumphant return sometime in the (probably distant) future.

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina » June 20th, 2012, 2:42 pm

A favourite: "Das Parfum – Die Geschichte eines Mörders" (Perfume: The Story of a Murderer by Patrick Süskind)

and a recent enjoyable one! "Glennkill: Ein Schafskrimi" (Three Bags Full: A Sheep Detective Story by Leonie Swann)

J_N

Post by J_N » July 22nd, 2012, 10:56 am

Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin (how brilliant that could be - imagine having different reader's - e.g. one for Bran's chapters, one for Tyrion's chapters, etc.) :9:

Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy (it's a teen/young adult series, but very amusing...) :9:

Sadako will leben (= The Day of the Bomb) by Karl Bruckner (if you have never read it, do... it's a children's book and such a sad sad story but oh so beautiful) :cry:

and the Morton Rhue books (especially "The Wave" and also "Boot Camp" and "Can't get there from here" - those two made me cry)
Julia - Introverts, unite! Seperately... in your own homes.

Spend your free time the way you like, not the way you think you're supposed to. ― Susan Cain

Author death +70 yrs? Legamus!

Hollz

Post by Hollz » July 27th, 2012, 5:26 pm

J_N wrote:Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin (how brilliant that could be - imagine having different reader's - e.g. one for Bran's chapters, one for Tyrion's chapters, etc.) :9:
XD I love game of thrones. I bought a copy for each of my brothers and sent one copy to my soldier. XD
I'm waiting to be lead; so lead me.
I sing on Youtube! XD
Hollz Musicable
Pweez check me out. <(^-^)>
http://targetstuffscholarships.com/gallery/8126 Please click that link to vote for me to win a scholarship! I REALLY need the money!! :( :( :( I be ur bestie!!! <3

VictoriaBMartin

Post by VictoriaBMartin » August 4th, 2012, 4:53 pm

This isn't really modern, but the interesting, hilarious, and well written books by Thyra Ferre Bjourn about the Swedish family that moves to America, namely Papa's Wife are such great books that if they were PD I'd definitely be recording them... :?
~A Friend, Victoria
Enjoy adventure, suspense, and romance? Claim a chapter in The Scarlet Pimpernel!
L.M. Montgomery fan? help read Rilla of Ingleside.
I will be on vacation from Oct. 10-19, and will have no access to the internet.

aidanbrack

Post by aidanbrack » August 9th, 2012, 12:52 pm

I wish we could do a dramatic reading of the 'The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place' series which have been published over the last few years (with another coming early next year). A very comical, utterly charming series of childrens' books about a young governess who is put in charge of three children who have been raised by wolves.

Moromis

Post by Moromis » August 10th, 2012, 4:00 pm

So soso SO would love to do the Ink (heart, spell, death) trilogy by Cornelia Funke.

Also Dune. And then the Homecoming saga by Orson Scott Card as my lifelong (it would take about a lifetime) goal.

And maybe some Redwall books, grew up with those.
Good on ya!

"If no one writes a book about you, you're doing it wrong."
(Doing what wrong?)
"Life."

Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 » August 11th, 2012, 12:18 am

There was a lot of votes on "Mists of Avalon" and Lord of the Rings", so let me add my all-time fantasy favourite. The Black Company by Glen Cook 8-) It's a multi-volume story about a company of merceneries who decide to go back to the half-mythical place where their group was formed over 400 years earlier. Soon they discover that to get there they have to traverse almost the whole known world, and of course they get involved in local wars as they travel. It would be even cooler to read a dramatic reading of it- I'd love to hear separate voices for One-Eye and Goblin, a couple of quarellsome, gambling-loving supercentenarians and third-rate wizards :mrgreen: - (I mean, isn't their description alone just EPIC? :lol: ).
Come help us record The Deluge THE DELUGE IS BACK!
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS

Forhad

Post by Forhad » August 12th, 2012, 8:23 am

I would love to record the book "The History of Love" by Nicole Krauss and "Mists of Avalon". I just love both!