Modern books that you wish we could record.

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
raezel

Post by raezel »

Great books to read would definately be

Philip K. Dick - Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep
I'm going to shock every scifi-movie fan by saying that I don't much care for the movie (Blade runner) but like the book.

Margaret Weis - Hung Out or from the same author Knights of the Black Earth
Not classics but would be fun to read anyhow

And of course Douglas Adams - The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
Spoons

Post by Spoons »

So many...

Stephen King's The Stand is one I'd like to do.

Same for Shel Silverstein's children's poems. Where the Sidewalk Ends is a particular favourite.

And for some reason, books of collected sports columns. I've quite enjoyed Rick Reilly's columns in Sports Illustrated, and I know they are collected in a book or two. Same for sports columnists William Nack and Jim Coleman.

Also, some of the stories that were published in the 30s and 40s and 50s in publications like the Saturday Evening Post. I've found a few collections of them; the stories were quite entertaining.

I'll try to post more as I think of them.
stipe

Post by stipe »

Sorry to post before introducing myself. Books first, self later.

I'd love to record these contemporary poets' books:

Paul Muldoon - "Meeting the British" and "Quoof"
Seamus Heaney - "Death of a Naturalist"
Donald Hall - "Without"
Wendy Cope - "Making Cocoa for Kingsley Amis"
Marianne Moore - "Oh! To Be a Dragon"
Elizabeth Bishop - "Geography III"
Stanley Kunitz - "Poems of ... 1928-1978"
Rita Dove - "Thomas and Beulah"

... and these contemporary fiction/nonfiction writers:

Phillip Lopate - "Against Joie de Vivre"
Robert Reich - "Reason" and "I'll Be Short"
T. Corraghessan Boyle - "Water Music"
Kay Redfield Jamison - "An Unquiet Mind"
Adrian Nicole LeBlanc - "Random Family: Love, Drugs, Trouble, and Coming of Age in the Bronx"
Philip Roth - "The Plot against America"
David K. Shipler - "The Working Poor: Invisible in America"
Jonathan Kozol - "Ordinary Resurrections" and "The Shame of the Nation"
[size=84] [color=blue]Ink runs from the corners of my mouth.
There is no happiness like mine.
I have been eating poetry.

- Mark Strand[/size] [/color]
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

I would love to read the Swallows and Amazons series by Arthur Ransome and Till we have faces by C.S. Lewis.
[url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/Bookworm]My Wiki Page[/url]
[img]http://services.nexodyne.com/email/icon/ATiRvGvUu9XAqsH9wTSeVuc%3D/yWAgfXI%3D/R01haWw%3D/0/image.png[/img]
featherheadfop

Post by featherheadfop »

Oh gosh, so many ...

But mostly, Kurt Vonnegut Jr. :)
Cloud Mountain

Post by Cloud Mountain »

Def The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time.
timberwolfmage

Post by timberwolfmage »

Has anyone here heard of a book called "How Far to Bethlehem" by Norah Lofts? It's (I believe) currently out of print but still under copyright, and it's the Christmas story, told from the point of view of Mary, Joseph, the innkeeper and his wife, one of the shepherds, each of the three wise men, etc., all intertwined together. It's REALLY, REALLY well-written and I wish to God that it were out of copyright because I think I'd give my right arm to read it.

The left arm would go towards Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats by T.S. Eliot (still under copyright while The Wasteland isn't...ehhhh?), Ender's Game, or anything by Tamora Pierce.

Douglas Adams is my other favorite author but I'm not so much dying to do his stuff...don't know why...*grins*
-- [url=http://www.trekandromeda.com][b]Rosalind Wills[/b][/url]
fae

Post by fae »

Cloud Mountain wrote:Def The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time.
That has to be one of the most refreshingly original books I've read in a while. And it was a debut novel to boot.

What I would really love to hear are any of Robin Hobb's books. Most especially any of the 9 Elderlings Realm series:

The Farseers Trilogy
The Liveship Traders Trilogy
The Tawny Man Trilogy

As far as I know no audio book recording exist for these. Hobb is so nuts about copyright infringement that she won't even allow fan-fiction!

Now that we've done a play successfully, I'd add anything by Tennesse Williams to the wish list.
raynr

Post by raynr »

I just finished reading the "Thursday Next" series by Jasper Fforde. These books are unbelievable funny! They are based in a world where everyone is ethusiastic about books and there are hundreds of references to mostly classic books. And funnily some of these references I understood only because I listened to the books here at LibriVox.
The first of these books is called "The Eyre Affair", in which Jane Eyre is kidnapped out of her book and has to be returned to it before the readers notice anything. Hmm, I have to check if the recording of Jane Eyre is soon finished...
"Everything in the world exists in order to end in a book." (Stéphane Mallarmé)
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

The Randall Garrett "Lord Darcy" stories. An aristocratic detective living in an alternate world to this one, where ritual magic takes much of the place of science. Victorian/edwardian setting. A lot of fun.

... and Mike Kurland did a couple more in the same series, after Garrett's death.

Oh, and the Kurland/Anderson/Waters Greenwich village books: (not in author order ..) Probability Pad, The Unicorn Girl, The Butterfly Kid. Bring back the drug-crazed hippies, that's what I say!

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
ahab

Post by ahab »

Three words: The. Great. Gatsby.

Also As I Lay Dying (Faulkner), though it would be tough to do (and possibly tough to listen to!) as an audiobook.

Ahab
Wasabi

Post by Wasabi »

I'd like to be able to read ANY book on here really, but I most often find myself wanting to read one of the many MANY Ray Bradbury short stories. Not even the whole books, but stories like The Pedestrian. And the kicker is if it weren't for "publishers" or "managers" or anyone else, I think he'd be in support of the idea.

In the meantime, full fleged support for similar Asimov short stories, and my favoritest book ever in the whole wide world, The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide (It's all of them together).
</war>
"All the world�s a stage,

And all the men and women merely players"
SmokestackJones

Post by SmokestackJones »

Hey there,

Since I just got one of mine knocked out from under me, Any and all H.P. Lovecraft he wrote after 1922.

Damon Runyon
James Thurber (I'd be all over A Friend of The Earth and most of My Life And Hard Times)

And I am aching - positively aching - to do some Raymond Chandler (Particularly Farewell, My Lovely and Trouble Is My Business).

-SJ
If I'm not me, who am I? And if I'm somebody else, why do I look like me?
-Popeye

Beblach!

My DVD Collection
joemcmahon

Post by joemcmahon »

Barry Hughart's Master Li and Number Ten Ox Novels. though I'd be laughing so hard I would screw up the recording.

For those who don't know him: Bridge of Birds, The Story of the Stone, Nine Skilled Gentlemen.

"Stories of an Ancient China that never was".
anna

Post by anna »

Micheal Palin, about his travels.
Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.
Kennis spreekt, wijsheid luistert.