Food, Cookery and Recipes

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
temac

Post by temac »

Damn. It appears this thread has veered right back on-topic. Have you people no self-control at all???

Ted
pattimac

Post by pattimac »

thistlechick wrote:I've started dividing up the sections of Domestic Cookery and we can get started with that one soon =)
That's great! I can't wait until it's up in the reader's wanted board. I'd love to claim one or two sections!!

And to Ted: No, guess we don't have any self control! :lol:
Patti

No diet is impossible, hopeless maybe, but not impossible!
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

Run, don't walk, to sign up for your favorite domestic topic here:
http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1393
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

I'll put the Whitehouse one in Suggestions.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

I've been reading along here without having time to post, but I wasted no time claiming a section (or maybe two) of the cookbook project.

I love eating and the best way to do that well is to cook. I invent a lot of recipes. I have a weekly column of my recipes (and some interesting found ones) on my website. Dinner parties are my favorite events. Along with some friends, I have even have a cookbook in the works.

And on Monday, I'll have 3 kg each of beef and lamb (in large chunks suitable for butchery), delivered from the Australian Meat Packers Association. Whooooo! I see a large barbecue party in my future.

Right after I record my cookery book chapters.
Kristen
http://www.mediatinker.com
[url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/KristenMcQuillin/]My recordings & claimed chapters[/url]
vee

Post by vee »

Given how tight space is in Japan, how large a BBQ can you have? :)
Chris Vee
"You never truly understand something until you can explain it to your grandmother." - Albert Einstein
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

Kristen wrote: Whooooo! I see a large barbecue party in my future.

Right after I record my cookery book chapters.
Feel free to have your friends help you with your recordings... I don't have a problem with multiple readers in a single file... have fun with it =)
~ Betsie
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Yes, I saw some of your recipes the other day, Kristen, and they look good! Must try some soon.

Now we don't _need_ to record this (therefore, not entirely on topic), but have you seen this one? http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/930
"The Cook's Decameron: a study in good taste, containing more than 200 Italian recipes" - very interesting book, fiction based on the Decameron, with menus and recipes for them. Uhmmm... sorry, but that would be fun to record, and to listen to because of its structure...

Well, this topic certainly has come along. Little did I know when I made these off-hand remarks about tinned spaghetti... :) However, I should have known. There are foodies everywhere!

Kristen, will you make a Western- or Japan-style BBQ?
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
kri

Post by kri »

Gesine wrote:
Kristen, will you make a Western- or Japan-style BBQ?
What the heck is Japan-style BBQ?
Deborah177

Post by Deborah177 »

Hi All,

I loved reading this thread! :)

As a food writer, food lover and all round foodie, I just wanted to say that you can list ingredients from a recipe. That is not a copyright issue. The instructions, and comments are under copyright.

Also on the subject of cookery books, I inherited my grandmother's Blue Ribbon cookbook, published 1909, and in it, there are instructions for the proper use of different fuels, wood, coal, oil, and peat!

The chapter on food for invalids! a riot! Gruel never made spaghetti-os look so good!

Deborah
Plant your own garden, Decorate your own soul!
www.mywritemind.com
Bronwyn Kate

Post by Bronwyn Kate »

Hi Kri!

I've had a Japan style barbecue.

if it's anything like a Korean style barbcue, you would like it a lot.

They have them on little barbecue pots on tables and it's great.
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

Deborah177 wrote:I inherited my grandmother's Blue Ribbon cookbook, published 1909, and in it, there are instructions for the proper use of different fuels, wood, coal, oil, and peat!
Get that puppy scanned and into Project Gutenberg!!! We'll make it our next cookbook project!

psst... seriously, if you want help with that, just let me know =)
~ Betsie
Deborah177

Post by Deborah177 »

thistlechick wrote:
Deborah177 wrote:I inherited my grandmother's Blue Ribbon cookbook, published 1909, and in it, there are instructions for the proper use of different fuels, wood, coal, oil, and peat!
Get that puppy scanned and into Project Gutenberg!!! We'll make it our next cookbook project!

psst... seriously, if you want help with that, just let me know =)
I'll do that as soon as I return to Canada this summer. I am teaching in Poland right now and the book is in storage.

So maybe it'll be the third project! I am home in July.

Deborah177
Plant your own garden, Decorate your own soul!
www.mywritemind.com
Yakumo

Post by Yakumo »

Kri- I beleive the Japanese borrow their idea of barbicue from the Koreans. It is called yaki niku which means "grilled meat" You grill the marinated meat on a japnese grill built into the table at yaki niku resturants.
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Oh yes, sorry, forgot to reply to this. I don't know much about it, but I thought one of the main differences is that you use paper-thin slices of meat.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein