Hungarian 'Folk' Music

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
delibab

Post by delibab » February 8th, 2008, 3:15 am

Talk about a minority topic! :-)

But should any of you be interested to hear how beautiful Hungarian sounds -- have a look at:
http://www.ablakanapra.net
then click on "Dalok" ('songs')
for example, "Dani dala" sounds superb..!
The lyrics for the songs are posted also - "Dalszovegek"

Regards, DB
[color=green][b][u][url=http://www.openstreetmap.org]openstreetmap.org[/url][/u] - The Free Wiki World Map..[/b][/color]

hefyd

Post by hefyd » February 8th, 2008, 1:31 pm

I'd like to know a little about this song. I think it is the subject of a set of variations by Kodaly. There are some renditions of it [the tune at least] on Youtube -some of them are dreadful.hefyd

Repülj páva, repülj
Vármegyeházára
A szegény raboknak
Szabadulására.

Leszállott a páva
Vármegyeházára
De nem ám a rabok
Szabadulására
meum est propositum,in taberna mori
ut sint vina proxima,morientis ori
anon.

puffin1

Post by puffin1 » February 8th, 2008, 1:51 pm

hefyd wrote:I'd like to know a little about this song. I think it is the subject of a set of variations by Kodaly. There are some renditions of it [the tune at least] on Youtube -some of them are dreadful.hefyd

Repülj páva, repülj
Vármegyeházára
A szegény raboknak
Szabadulására.

Leszállott a páva
Vármegyeházára
De nem ám a rabok
Szabadulására
This isn't what you were asking, but gives an example of how dreadful my hungarian language acquisition was a dozen years ago. The first part, without a dictionary could be:
Fly something, fly
To something house/home/castle
With the something
To liberty/freedom/something like that
[size=84][color=#483d8b][b]Is it weird in here, or is it just me? [/b][/color][/size]- [size=75][i]Steven Wright[/size][/i]

hefyd

Post by hefyd » February 8th, 2008, 3:59 pm

Here are some variations on this tune played on the harp.I take back what I said about the youtube renditions-this one is beautiful.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkRdS72UyZ4
It's a very simple tune, and the piece starts with it in its original form. It's a prisoner song I think, and the peacock flies over the prison and reminds the prisoners of the freedom they have lost.hefyd
anon.

hefyd

Post by hefyd » February 8th, 2008, 4:18 pm

Well, with my dictionary, I think this means 'Fly peacock fly, To County Hall,to set free the poor prisoners.The peacock perched on County Hall,but the prisoners did not get their freedom'. hefyd
anon.

puffin1

Post by puffin1 » February 8th, 2008, 4:22 pm

I look back now, and am amazed I could tie my shoes in Hungary.
[size=84][color=#483d8b][b]Is it weird in here, or is it just me? [/b][/color][/size]- [size=75][i]Steven Wright[/size][/i]

hefyd

Post by hefyd » February 8th, 2008, 4:29 pm

We were there in October, and I was very proud that I managed to buy some cheese -more than I wanted, but at least I got it. The bookshops in Budapest are wonderful, open to ten o'clock at night.hefyd
anon.

puffin1

Post by puffin1 » February 8th, 2008, 4:37 pm

I agree, it's a marvelous place and a lovely language. :) If I couldn't buy something by the "piece" I'd buy it by the half-kilo. The rest was too complicated. :wink: I was pretty good at getting a round-trip ticket too.

Although there was the time I missed my connection in a minor junction town, and spent the night in a coal-heated depot with a band of gypsies. <sigh>

delibab

Post by delibab » February 12th, 2008, 1:01 pm

hefyd -- your dictionary translation is pretty darn good!

"Repülj páva, repülj" is an old traditional Hungarian folk song. Kodaly (and Bartok, amongst others) used a lot of traditional Hungarian folk music as a basis for some of their own 'more modern' works.

Interesting word - the Hungarian word for cheese ("sajt") - particularly if you come from where I originally hail from! ;-)

Regards - DB
[color=green][b][u][url=http://www.openstreetmap.org]openstreetmap.org[/url][/u] - The Free Wiki World Map..[/b][/color]

puffin1

Post by puffin1 » February 13th, 2008, 3:09 am

But in Hungary, you can't get sajt from bulls.

mariann

Post by mariann » July 18th, 2008, 1:28 am

oh yeah. And if you ever go to Debrecen (East Hungary) then you can also hear this song on the tram, every time the doors open or close :lol:

Annoying Twit

Post by Annoying Twit » July 25th, 2008, 11:17 am

Once at a WOMAD festival, I was watching a folk group whom I believe were Hungarian. There was one guy who sort of yelled things (more than singing) into a microphone. Then they'd dance around the stage. They asked for people from the audience to come up on stage, and I am not known about being shy concerning that sort of thing. So we were dancing around the stage and I ended up near the microphone. The performer was motioning for me to say something into the microphone, but to my eternal regret, I just couldn't think of anything. As usually happens, later on I realised that "Let's twist again, like we did last summer" in the style used by the proper performer probably would have done.