Favourite Film of all Time

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
catchpenny

Post by catchpenny »

That, is cheating.
nebgreen

Post by nebgreen »

I would have to say "Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country". It was just such a GLORIOUS movie to watch, and the end credits, where the actors' cursive signatures are written against the starry background----that STILL chokes me up like nothing else. Favorite lines:

McCoy: "I'd give good money if he'd shut up!"
Scott: "She's packin' quite a wallop!!"
Kirk: "FIRE!!!!!"

Priceless stuff, I tell ya'....PRICELESS.

Mark Penfold
Cory Newb

Post by Cory Newb »

I don't know if I want to name just one, but I guess it might have to be...

The Last Samurai
cybersus

Post by cybersus »

No question for me. It's a Wonderful Life.

Story is based on an interesting premise, is dense with details, most of those bits from early come back to mean something later. The acting is quite amazing. It includes one of the best sequences I've ever seen in movies, that of James Stewart and Donna Reed sharing the phone talking to their friend, discomfort growing until he eventually snaps and declares his love for her (and states his dream of travel - a dream which never comes true).

The story is good on several levels. He sacrifices himself for things he deems important and good over his own desires, and touches the lives of most of the community. He doesn't even realize how much he has affected those people until the last scene where he is treated to the smiling faces of people more than happy to help him.

Dynamite stuff. They don't make movies like that any more. And the remakes of this movie have been trash. Stick with good old black & white Frank Capra at his best!
Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
-Robert A. Heinlein
BlueMoonJ

Post by BlueMoonJ »

I don't think I can pick just one. I definitely agree about Casablanca and The Shop Around the Corner. I think I might have to go with BBC's adaptation of Sense and Sensibility, though. Emma Thompson wrote the screenplay and plays Elinor--absolutely wonderful!
"A loving smile contains all art." -Madeleine L'Engle
FNH

Post by FNH »

Wow, you've all mentioned such great films. I mean GREAT!.

Some of you had felt it hard to narrow it down to just 1. I know it's hard, thats why I posed the question!

Please just stick to 1 and 1 only. It's the difficulty that makes your answer interesting. Feel free to mention runner-ups, but your only allowed 1 favourite!

THanks to all of you for replying. I find this kind of thing so very interesting.
http://CthulhuPodcast.co.uk
http://WriteTheFirstDraft.blogspot.com
kdgibboney

Post by kdgibboney »

Naming just one is about impossible, but I was thinking today about The Fisher King, and how it touched me in so many ways. It's one I can watch again any time. Maybe that's the test.

Katie
Roger

Post by Roger »

A tough, yet intriguing question.

I'm going to go with Swing Kids. It offers so much, works on every emotion,
great dance scenes, a bit of history, good character development, and insight
into some of the reasons behind varying political nuances of the period.
Last edited by Roger on December 22nd, 2007, 10:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
revry

Post by revry »

"City Lights" by Charlie Chaplin

One of those films that reaches right into your gut and wrenches it. Funny too.
==============================
-=-Ron Evry-=-
Creator of 'Mister Ron's Basement' Podcast on the iTunes Music Store
http://misterron.libsyn.com/
==============================
alana

Post by alana »

Sense & Sensiility (the Ang Lee version)

Alana
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

To Kill a Mockingbird

Runner ups:
Star Wars (the first one)
Roman Holiday (Gregory Peck again, with Audrey Hepburn)
Laurie Anne
tardistraveller

Post by tardistraveller »

Beauty and the Beast. Love, love, LOVE it. Best Disney movie ever. Belle is basically me -- she's a brunette, she's French (okay, I'm only French-speaking...), she likes to read, and people think she's weird. :lol:

And hey, any movie featuring a library as impressive as the Beast's will ALWAYS get my vote. :wink:
"A room without books is like a body without a soul."
-- Cicero
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

I was going to say Beauty and the Beast but I was embarrassed to admit it. :wink:
Laurie Anne
tardistraveller

Post by tardistraveller »

chocoholic wrote:I was going to say Beauty and the Beast but I was embarrassed to admit it. :wink:
Well, now all that embarrassment about admitting such a thing has been deflected onto me, so it's safe for you to do so! ;)

I nearly chose Bon Cop, Bad Cop as my favourite, but it came out only in 2006, so it hasn't been around as long for me to appreciate. Also, it has an embarrassing naughty scene that makes me flee the room every time I watch it, and my thinking was that my favourite movie of all time should be something I can watch and enjoy completely. Bon Cop is still a very funny and very cool movie, though, so it is definitely my runner-up.
"A room without books is like a body without a soul."
-- Cicero
DSayers

Post by DSayers »

An impossible question. But when painted into this corner, I respond:

Ta da!

Stanley Kubrick's DR. STRANGELOVE, or Why I Stopped Worrying and Learned to Love the Bomb (1964), with screenplay by Kubrick and Terry Southern. Film buffs will especially appreciate the three (3) roles that Peter Sellers played, including the British RAF Wing Commander Mandrake (set against meglomaniacal Sterling Hayden's General Jack D. Ripper), the President of the United States (against George C. Scott's slapstick hawkish war advisor) and the film's eponymous German ex-patriated nut-case nuclear expert.

Also, this film features the debut role of James Earl Jones as the bombardier. You may recall Slim Pickins riding a nuclear missile to world oblivion, followed by the USO rendition of "We'll meet again, who knows where, who knows when?" as mushroom clouds explode and the Earth implodes.

Second place for me goes to the last Seller's portrayal on film, that of the socially- and mentally-addled Chauncey Gardener in Hal Asbey's BEING THERE (1979) who somehow comes to be viewed by the mass media as a political visionary.

This was also Melvyn Douglas' last film for which he won the Academy Award for best Supporting Actor. It featured Shirley MacLaine in an extremely convincing (excuse me while I loosen a collar button) female sexual climax scene that prefigured Meg Ryan's opposite Billy Crystal. Only Shirley pretended that she wasn't faking a thing. A truly great film, from start to finish, from Jerzy Kosinski's screenplay.

-denny

PS. Part of me wants to erase this whole missive and go with Harper Lee's and Gregory Peck's masterwork (the first DVD I ever purchased) TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD. This is such an impossible question!