Favorite Librivox Recordings?

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Yakumo

Post by Yakumo »

I'm currently enjoying Idle Thoughts of an Idle Fellow by Jerome K Jerome.

The reader is great and its very amusing.
nebgreen

Post by nebgreen »

Martin Clifton's reading of "The Vicar of Wakefield" by Oliver Goldsmith. I tried to read this book in high school, and was really interested in it, but was frustrated because the English was so different from our own. But listening to it these many years later as Mr. Clifton reads it brings it to life for me, and I get the "sense" of what Goldsmith wrote more clearly.

Mark Penfold
caitlinteresa

Post by caitlinteresa »

Well, I loved The Day Boy and the Night Girl by Laurie Ann Walden and The Light Princess by Laura Fox. Also, the Grimms Fairytales by a lot of people. :D
"Let us [url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=2157]read[/url] and let us dance - [url=http://fishyroo.deviantart.com/]two amusements[/url] that will never do any harm to the world." ~ Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire
ontheroad

Post by ontheroad »

My favorite recording I've heard so far on Librivox is also the most annoying: Ulysses by Joyce.

When I saw that it was being recorded I couldn't believe that it was possible. The idea of reading it in public made it even more audacious although it is also the source of the annoyance. That aside, it is a testament to the creativity of this group and I salute all of the readers who were courageous enough to record it.
veni vidi vici
Check out my library! http://www.librarything.com/catalog/ontheroad
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

hugh wrote:hi miss stav, somewhere or other we have lots of text that explains why we don't have ratings on LibriVox ... there are a number of reasons philosophical (eg. ratings are subjective) and pragmatic (eg. we believe ratings tend to discourage rather than encourage lots of audiobook making) ...

i'll poke around and see if i can find it... otherwise i'll write it out again ;)
Here's one (from the LibriVox wiki under "Important Forum Threads," Hugh & shurtagal):

http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=454
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
puffin1

Post by puffin1 »

There's a local radio show that features a lot of spoken word recordings, and he's been playing Huckleberry Finn from Librivox - a wonderful reading of it. But because the DJ is taking a few months off, he made sure the audience knew which website to find the recording on (he was only on chapter 19).
[size=84][color=#483d8b][b]Is it weird in here, or is it just me? [/b][/color][/size]- [size=75][i]Steven Wright[/size][/i]
jpandya

Post by jpandya »

The House of Mirth. I'm listening to it for the second time.
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

The House of Mirth is in deed grate! I listen to it now (fore the first time) and enjoy it.
Oh! How did I forget Sense and Sensibility
and Mansfield Park? They were so grate, I really enjoyed listening to them.
Stav.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
fullmoonblue

Post by fullmoonblue »

ontheroad wrote:My favorite recording I've heard so far on Librivox is also the most annoying: Ulysses by Joyce.

When I saw that it was being recorded I couldn't believe that it was possible. The idea of reading it in public made it even more audacious...
I listened to a few chapters (including the final one I think, with the several speakers at once) and was amazed. What a project! I knew then that I'd found a very good and special place, this community.

I've also enjoyed Fanny Hill (hah! so entertaining aloud!!) and the multi-reader version of Kate Chopin's The Awakening... hearing certain French names and phrases pronounced with an accent really brought the story alive for me.
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

I am currently listening to "The Blue Envelope". This is a great story of 2 girls in the arctic complete with mystery, adventure and I hope romance. :wink:

Esther :D
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
JLaddJr

Post by JLaddJr »

catchpenny wrote:I like The Scarlet Pimpernel read by Karen Savage.
I'm about a third of the way through with this. The book is an excellent classic and Karen Savage's reading is impeccable / very professional. I would recommend the book for anyone who enjoys adventure / historical fiction. Great read!